Break down: Why Melvin Gordon is not a product of a historically great Wisconsin line

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faded blues
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
    Our offensive line, with the addition of Franklin, is going to be better than what Mathews had when he was here - especially if we can upgrade RG after June 1st cuts, or the light comes on for Porkchops.
    All Gordon has to do is be at least as good as Mathews (I think he's going to be better) and stay on the field. Don't over-complicate things guys.
    This. If we can add a better rg than troutman than all is well.

His acceleration is what seperates him from any back we have had since lt.

His rate of acceleratrion will allow him to exploit the small amount of holes and how long the holes are open.

Yes, I like holes.

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Melvin Gordon will be fine there were times the wholes were big at Wisconsin but his quickness and acceleration hitting the holes is so key. One quality Gordon has that Ryan Mathews share is how quick they can hit the hole with our O-line last year there weren't a lot of big holes, but you see why we missed Mathews when he was out he had the best average among our backs because hits the hole quick, now here is where Gordon has advantage he has VISION he will find the hole to pick exploit long runs. If you remember the times Mathews hit the whole so quick he ran right up the back of the OL, and other cases where he did pick the right whole and got open he didn't have the vision to see where to get on the second level for a longer gain Mathews would get about 5-7 20 yard gains a season I see Gordon getting 5-7 30 yard plus gains.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

The light goes on for Troutman every time he opens the refrigerator.

And who doesn't like holes?
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• UtahBolt
          Did we win?
          • Jun 2013
          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
          • Send PM

Gordon seems to get even better when he can get through to the second level. His ability to cut while accelerating past the LBs and into the secondary is special and should create a lot of big gains in the NFL. Hopefully it all pans out and he is a threat every time he touches the ball, something this offense just does not have enough of...
          Last edited by UtahBolt; 05-12-2015, 03:43 PM.
          I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Yes, his other area that he is special is that he doesn't seem to lose speed in his cuts. He can't cut like Barry Sanders, but the guy is a slashing runner who can do everything while he is accelerating.

The big thing with the top RB is that they can make the OL better. They have to hit the hole hard and with complete confidence that the read that they made is going to work out. Gordon his his read, accelerates through his cut and then just explodes past everyone into the secondary. He is just about the perfect zone RB, which is the scheme we run.

He isn't going to get nearly the explosive plays he did in college. But remember, Charles is a huge part of the KC offense and makes it work because he gets that 1 or 2 big runs per game. How much better will our offense be if we get 1 or 2 more explosive plays per game? That should add 1 or maybe even 2 yards per carry to our YPC (it is far more about how many long runs you make then how many yards you expect to gain per play). And as a result defenses will have to play us different and that will open up the passing game, so the dynamics will swing back to us.

Comment

• rikardo
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Great find MiddleMan, love the pick.

Comment

• floydefisher
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • siberiacuse, ny
                • Send PM

He had better be at least the second coming of LT.

If he turns out to be another Ryan Matthews, expect Telesco and company to get crucified.
                sigpic

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                  Fluent in Sarcasm
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Iowa
                  • Man of the People
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
                  He had better be at least the second coming of LT.

If he turns out to be another Ryan Matthews, expect Telesco and company to get crucified.
                  'At least'? Within the history of the NFL there have only been a handful of backs that can compare to the production that LT provided. I know people want value out of our first round pick, but expecting anyone to come into the league and compare to a HOF player is only going to lead you to disappointment. If he comes in and can be the force that LT was, great! But if he comes in and gives us 1100+ with 10 TDs each year I think he will be worth the 1st round pick, trade-up included. At the rate that 1st round picks fail in today's NFL just having them provide a constant positive impact on the game has to be considered a hit.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Melvin Gordon hopes to ignite Chargers' ground game

Eric D. Williams, ESPN Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Here's a statistic that sums up the reason San Diego Chargers general manager Tom Telesco was compelled to give up a fourth-rounder in this year's draft and a fifth in 2016 in order to move up two spots to draft Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon:

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Gordon finished with 35 rushes of 20 yards or longer in his final season at Wisconsin, nine more than any other Football Bowl Subdivision player in a single season in the last decade.

San Diego totaled just six rushes of 20 yards or longer in 2014.

The Chargers desperately needed an explosive playmaker in the backfield to take pressure off of quarterback Philip Rivers, who heads into 2015 in the final year of his contract and unsure if he'll be with the team beyond this season.

"He has home-run ability," Telesco said about Gordon. "He's an exciting playmaker, and an impact player."

Gordon will be tasked with adding juice to a run game that averaged 3.4 yards per carry last season. Only the Arizona Cardinals were worse at running the football on a per-carry basis.

But Gordon said he's not expected to come in and save San Diego's offense. The Chargers and Rivers have plenty of weapons at their disposal, including future Hall of Fame tight end Antonio Gates, receivers Keenan Allen and Malcom Floyd, and change-of-pace running backs Danny Woodhead and Branden Oliver.

"At Wisconsin, being a running back you're expected to ball out every game," Gordon said. "You're expected to go out there and lead the team. You always have expectations, but I don't feel like I need to carry the team.

Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon became the second running back selected in this year's draft in Chicago, taken No. 15 overall by the Chargers. Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
                    "We've got enough weapons to where I don't feel I even have to think about that at this point in time. I just need to learn the playbook, go out there and be myself -- go out there and make plays, and be the guy they saw on film when they drafted me."

With Todd Gurley selected No. 10 overall by the St. Louis Rams and Gordon drafted at No. 15 by the Chargers, at least two running backs were selected in the first round of the NFL draft for the first time since 2012, bucking the trend that the position has been devalued of late.

Longtime NFL running back Steven Jackson created a tongue-in-cheek movement to save the running back position. Jackson said he has been in touch with Gordon during the pre-draft and post-draft process, reaching out to San Diego's newest addition soon after the draft.

"I texted Melvin and I said, 'This is a great start but we have to make sure that you have a successful career and you show a commitment to being an all-around pro on and off the field,'" Jackson said. "I offered my expertise to him if he needs that. And that goes for any young running back."

Gordon has an uphill climb in showing his worth. According to ESPN Stats & Information, only one of the 10 first-round running backs chosen in the past six seasons ran for 1,000 yards as a rookie -- Doug Martin in 2012. Martin has struggled since then, with a combined 950 rushing yards during injury-plauged 2013 and 2014 seasons.

But if anyone can prove detractors wrong, it's Gordon. At 6-foot-1, 215 pounds, Gordon has a rare blend of strength, quickness and speed, making it hard for defenders to a get a good shot on him in the open field.

"I like breaking people's ankles," said Gordon, when asked what he prefers, running through or around a defender. "The less contact on the body, the less wear and tear -- I just shake you and keep on moving."

But Gordon said he will put his pads down if needed.

"You've got to," said Gordon. "Sometimes it's a lose-lose situation and you have to do what you have to do. You just have to put your pads down, lower your pads and get to work."

One of the reasons the Chargers selected Gordon was durability; he hadn't missed a game in three seasons at Wisconsin. San Diego's last feature back, Ryan Mathews, missed a quarter of the team's games due to injury during his five-year tenure with the Chargers.

If Gordon can stay healthy, he should have a chance to break San Diego's rookie rushing record of 1,236 yards, set by future Hall of Famer LaDainian Tomlinson in 2001. However, Gordon said he's focused more on team success than individual accolades.

"If I can match Philip's game, the way he plays and how he does things on the field, I feel like we can be special," Gordon said. "I feel like we can be really special. We've got the receivers. We've got the tight ends. We've got the guys up front. ... We've got some vets all around and some playmakers. So if I can play at Philip's level, I can help this team.

"That's the goal at the end of the day, to win championships. I just want to be part of something special. And I feel like I can with this team."

ESPN NFL Nation Rams reporter Nick Wagoner contributed to this report.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

I love getting high character guys.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• floydefisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • siberiacuse, ny
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                        'At least'? Within the history of the NFL there have only been a handful of backs that can compare to the production that LT provided. I know people want value out of our first round pick, but expecting anyone to come into the league and compare to a HOF player is only going to lead you to disappointment. If he comes in and can be the force that LT was, great! But if he comes in and gives us 1100+ with 10 TDs each year I think he will be worth the 1st round pick, trade-up included. At the rate that 1st round picks fail in today's NFL just having them provide a constant positive impact on the game has to be considered a hit.
                        If all he turns out to be is another Ryan Matthews, then why not just resign Matthews, and use the draft pick on a guard?

That will be the thinking of an entire city if this doesn't pan out.

I honestly hope Telesco is right, but right now I am wondering if my faith in him is going to be justified.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Geezbolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Sun Valley, ID
                          • Send PM

As TT says, you do your homework and in the end if you can check off all the boxes then you draft the guy. If they had a crystal ball that could predict future injuries I'm sure they'd use it. Bottom line, the Bolts' saw Gordon as an impact player in a position of need and his history indicates he is a good risk for avoiding major injuries. You can't ask more than that.

Comment

Working...
                          X