• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2015
    • Send PM

2015 Chargers: Reasons for Optimism?

Now that free agency and the draft have passed, I've been looking at the roster and trying to discern what can be expected from the 2015 Chargers. Here are a few things I've noticed:

The 2014 Chargers, per FootballOutsiders, were 31st in adjusted games lost. They lost 119 games to injury, which was 2nd only to the New York Giants. Injuries are largely a function of luck. It is quite unlikely that we miss anything like that amount of time in 2015. And health is an uncontrollable factor that has a huge impact on a season. The healthiest team in 2013 was the overachieving 11-5 Chiefs, while the most fortunate club in that regard last season was the 12-4 Denver Broncos. After being 28th in 2013 and 31st in 2014, the Chargers are due a luckier year. Considering they won 9 games in both of those unlucky campaigns, health would go a long way towards a 10+ win season.

Another uncontrollable factor in any given season is strength of schedule. The Chargers tied for the 4th toughest projected strength of schedule in 2014. Only the Rams, Broncos, and Raiders had a worse slate heading into 2014. 2015 is shaping up to be less arduous, as San Diego comes in right at 16th. Obviously projected strength of schedule doesn't always prove true in reality, but a step down in difficulty level can reasonably be expected. It's funny to me how much perception of any given team has to do with who they're playing. The AFC North in 2014 is a prime example. All four teams were in the PO conversation at one point or another, leading to the perception that it was one of the strongest divisions in football. It was rarely mentioned that they got to play BOTH the AFC and NFC south divisions, which were full of woeful clubs like the Bucs, Titans, and Jaguars. Again, considering we managed 9 wins last season against a tough schedule, 10+ is within reach.

Some other factors that warrant consideration include records in really tight games, point differential, and turnover margin. Teams that do extraordinarily well in those areas tend to see some regression towards the mean in the following season. The Chargers only played in three games in 2014 that were decided by less than a touchdown, and went 1-2 in those matchups. Their point differential was a dead even 0. And they were -5 in turnover margin. All of that to say, the 9 wins they managed were "honest." They weren't flukily squeaking out close wins and then losing big, or having a ton of balls bounce their way. None of that actually helps them in 2015, but I think it does establish their 9-7 record last year as a reliable starting point to work with for this coming season.

So without even looking at the roster, there are reasons to think that 2015 will be a step forward for the Bolts. With terrible luck in 2014 (in terms of both injury and schedule) they managed an honest to goodness 9 wins. So merely being healthy and playing some less difficult opponents should be good for at least some improvement record wise. But then when you actually do look at the roster, you find more reasons for optimism. The biggest one, in my opinion, is the promise of a vastly improved running game. Going from Rinehart to Franklin is easily the biggest jump in talent. At center, Watt won't have to be amazing to be a big improvement over the revolving door we had at the pivot in 2014. Health in general will give our line a boost. And then of course you have Gordon, who I didn't think was a mid first rounder in terms of value, but who is still an upgrade over what we had going on last season. Going from 3.4 YPC even to a league average 4.1 would pay huge dividends. It will take pressure off of Rivers and the passing attack, pull defenders closer to the LOS and into the box, keep the defense fresh, and help us sustain drives.

All things considered, I think there are a lot of reasons to believe that 2015 is the season that McCoy and Telesco's Chargers break into double digit wins and get back to the playoffs. Thoughts?
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

We are due!

Let's deflate DEE'S NUTZ!!!!
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

I think the chances are good that the Broncos take a step back with a new coaching staff, a lot of roster turnover and Manning looking old and busted at the end of last season.

The Chargers just need to figure out how to beat Andy Reid. The Chiefs have a playmaker on both sides of the ball (Houston, Charles) but otherwise this team shouldn't be losing to them. If they can figure out the Chiefs, I think they take the division.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
        I think the chances are good that the Broncos take a step back with a new coaching staff, a lot of roster turnover and Manning looking old and busted at the end of last season.

The Chargers just need to figure out how to beat Andy Reid. The Chiefs have a playmaker on both sides of the ball (Houston, Charles) but otherwise this team shouldn't be losing to them. If they can figure out the Chiefs, I think they take the division.
        We are 2-2 against him in his time with the Chiefs.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I have only one question.

Why is this not a five star thread yet???
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• TTThunder
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

2015 - Reason for optimism?

#1. Norv is not out HC anymore.

#2. Look at #1.

Go Rookies!!!

Comment

• Sec-E4
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2014
              • Arizona
              • Send PM

Get That Man a big ole' peice of Chicken.

He summed up what I've been trying to say with any post I've posted

Thank You Ebenezer

Comment

• maurile
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
                The healthiest team in 2013 was the overachieving 11-5 Chiefs, while the most fortunate club in that regard last season was the 12-4 Denver Broncos.
                Awesome post!

But how were the Chiefs the healthiest team while the Broncos were the most fortunate club? Is it the difference between "healthiest" and "most fortunate," or between "team" and "club"?

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  We are 2-2 against him in his time with the Chiefs.
                  2-2 but one of those wins being the luckfest against KC's backups to get into the playoffs two years ago and the other win took a last minute miracle to win. And of course the turd they laid against KC's backups to end last season. They don't look impressive at all against Reid's Chiefs. They should have lost twice against KC's backups with the playoffs on the line. That's embarrassing.
                  Last edited by TTK; 05-08-2015, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• Sec-E4
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2014
                    • Arizona
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                    2-2 but one of those wins being the luckfest against KC's backups to get into the playoffs two years ago and the other win took a last minute miracle to win. And of course the turd they laid against KC's backups to end last season. They don't look impressive at all against Reid's Chiefs. They should have lost twice against KC's backups with the playoffs on the line. That's embarrassing.
                    After all that were still 2-2 against them ;-)

Hey, I banged Suzy and it doesn't matter if I needed to get her drunk in order to drop them panties. I still have her panties hangin' on my rear view mirror don't I ? And I still got the tree's on my mirror so my car won't smell
                    Last edited by Sec-E4; 05-09-2015, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• Faded blues
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2013
                      • Send PM

Some of those injuries occurred to players who it was expected.

I would have been flooded if Mathews made it though a season without missing time.

The unlucky injury was to woodhead who is 30.

Hardwick shouldn't count because it was clear now that they had no intentions of him finishing the season at center.

Ingram and teo have yet to be healthy for a whole season.

Verett was drafted with a bum shoulder

I believe there were statistical patterns thAt were suggestive to a season prone to be riddled with injuries.

If this season proves to be a rather healthy one might to the influx of players who have a track record of staying healthy.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2015
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
                        Some of those injuries occurred to players who it was expected.

I would have been flooded if Mathews made it though a season without missing time.

The unlucky injury was to woodhead who is 30.

Hardwick shouldn't count because it was clear now that they had no intentions of him finishing the season at center.

Ingram and teo have yet to be healthy for a whole season.

Verett was drafted with a bum shoulder

I believe there were statistical patterns thAt were suggestive to a season prone to be riddled with injuries.

If this season proves to be a rather healthy one might to the influx of players who have a track record of staying healthy.
                        Sure, we had some players who were prone to injury last year but I would argue that every team has those guys. We dealt with issues well beyond what could reasonably be expected even with our personnel. At points in week 17, our offensive line featured Trevor Robinson, Jeremiah Sirles, and Willie Smith all at the same time. The center position saw insane turnover. Iron men like Rivers ended up getting hurt and playing through it, which affected performance. Fluker and Allen likewise played through injury for large portions of the season. Flowers is another historically durable player who both missed time and played hurt. Verrett, for all that was said about the shoulder coming out, only ever missed one game in college and ended up missing a big chunk of last season with a different, unrelated injury. Attaochu similarly missed 4 games in 4 years of college, and then is out for a large portion of his rookie season.

No I don't think last year's injuries are what we can expect, even if some of our players posses less than ideal durability. Also- you don't think they intended for Hardwick to finish the season?

Comment

Working...
                        X