Clear All
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
    Interesting.....Denver loses its best rated and I thought I saw Ramirez was also gone whom is a "green" player. I would love to see Manny take some hard competitive hits this year to help him retire. Losing a couple key cogs in the OL will certainly help in our effort to get to the qb.
    Ramirez was sent to Detroit as part of their trade-up to grab Ray.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
      PFF grades from 2014:

2 things stand out. If you buy all this numerical nonsense, we made a huge improvement on paper. We got Denver to go from a total of 12.6 and took away +12 from their score card. it actually probably helps much more, since they really haven't added a vet to just step in and replace him, so the guy who does start is probably going to be on the negative grades somewhere. One other thing to note, Franklin had 4 games with negative grades last year, his 2 of his lowest 3 scores were against us, so you could argue vs the rest of the league, he is actually better player then the +12 grade suggests.

So adding Franklin makes our -60 grade something like a -30 grade, possibly in the -20's. Franklin is a +12 (or higher) grade, and he replaces Reinhardt (-22.7), giving a difference of difference of 34.7, which is you buy PFF is a pretty big increase for a team that was 9-7 and on the verge of making the playoffs.

Add in that Rameriez (+2) is gone, so Denver is going to be in the negative territory (or likely much worse), since any replacement is likely to have a negative grade, and you force backups to play that much, that is when they amass the huge negative totals. Vasquez is probably going to play better at RG, but then you have to figure that Chris Clark (-6.7) is probably going to have to play a lot.

KC is going to be a lot worse due to losing Hudson (+13 and he is the only positive grade they had).

The other thing I think you have to add some for is the RB. Gordon hits the hole so fast, that it should make life somewhat easier on the OL. PFF grades tend to focus too much on outcomes, so as long as our RB does well, the grades should go up dramatically, even if the blocking isn't all that great. PFF doesn't grade how well guys block, just if they think the player had a positive outcome, even though they claim they don't try to understand scheme or coaching points. So, presumably as long as our OL start to release downfield and get to the 2nd level, our OL grade should rise dramatically.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        2 things stand out. If you buy all this numerical nonsense, we made a huge improvement on paper. We got Denver to go from a total of 12.6 and took away +12 from their score card. it actually probably helps much more, since they really haven't added a vet to just step in and replace him, so the guy who does start is probably going to be on the negative grades somewhere. One other thing to note, Franklin had 4 games with negative grades last year, his 2 of his lowest 3 scores were against us, so you could argue vs the rest of the league, he is actually better player then the +12 grade suggests.

So adding Franklin makes our -60 grade something like a -30 grade, possibly in the -20's. Franklin is a +12 (or higher) grade, and he replaces Reinhardt (-22.7), giving a difference of difference of 34.7, which is you buy PFF is a pretty big increase for a team that was 9-7 and on the verge of making the playoffs.

Add in that Rameriez (+2) is gone, so Denver is going to be in the negative territory (or likely much worse), since any replacement is likely to have a negative grade, and you force backups to play that much, that is when they amass the huge negative totals. Vasquez is probably going to play better at RG, but then you have to figure that Chris Clark (-6.7) is probably going to have to play a lot.

KC is going to be a lot worse due to losing Hudson (+13 and he is the only positive grade they had).

The other thing I think you have to add some for is the RB. Gordon hits the hole so fast, that it should make life somewhat easier on the OL. PFF grades tend to focus too much on outcomes, so as long as our RB does well, the grades should go up dramatically, even if the blocking isn't all that great. PFF doesn't grade how well guys block, just if they think the player had a positive outcome, even though they claim they don't try to understand scheme or coaching points. So, presumably as long as our OL start to release downfield and get to the 2nd level, our OL grade should rise dramatically.
        Sounds rad.

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Good stuff. I was waiting for your take on this.

Comment

• Highboltage
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I'd think the left tackle and center improve without the black hole at guard.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

From Ghelkin's QA today:

I would rather see Chris Watt at guard and Trevor Robinson at center than Watt at center and Troutman at guard. What do you think they will do with the O line?

@steve: Not that. Chris Watt is the center. Get used to him there. Could be that way for long time. They are sky-high on him and for good reason. He gets it.
              by Michael Gehlken 11:06 AM ↑0

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                From Ghelkin's QA today:
                What does Watt get? Not saying it was his doing, but, when he played center, we sucked pretty bad up the middle. Also not saying we were good when he wasn't the center. But I don't get how whatever he did means we need to get used to him being there. He couldn't have been that great at center.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                  What does Watt get? Not saying it was his doing, but, when he played center, we sucked pretty bad up the middle. Also not saying we were good when he wasn't the center. But I don't get how whatever he did means we need to get used to him being there. He couldn't have been that great at center.
                  Being sandwiched by two of the worst guards in the league probably played a significant factor.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                    Being sandwiched by two of the worst guards in the league probably played a significant factor.
                    Possible.

Maybe you guys remember - I don't. Were we better up the middle when Watt was at center as opposed to when he wasn't the center? It's not like the other centers got to play with better guards.

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning
                      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                        I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning
                        Beer and pizza.

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                          Beer and pizza.
                          thanks
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                          X