• Show
Clear All
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
    Why are people cutting Troutman?
    He's terrible! That's why! Hopefully he improves.
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Let Sirles and Porkchops battle for the backup spot.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
        I don't want to cut him.....I just don't want him starting until (if/when) he gets his shit together.
        Agree. I like him as depth better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

It is easier to like Troutman when we have a player in front of him...
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• pigskin
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Southern Oregon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            Move the left-over Pork chop to the back of the fridge.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              No it isn't.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Thoughts on Tom Telesco's latest addition to the Chargers offensive line, and the line itself:

1) Newcomer Joseph Barksdale was a 29-game starter for the Rams at right tackle. Will Barksdale, 27, supplant D.J. Fluker as San Diego's right tackle?

2) Barksdale is likely the better pass blocker.

3) Both tackles stand nearly 6-foot-5 and are long-armed. Barksdale is more balanced and recovers faster to momentary losses, against both speed and power. He takes shorter steps.

4) I've detailed concerns about Fluker's ability to hear or focus or both. Too often last year, he was late off the snap, such as on a failed fourth-and-1 at Miami.

5) A move to guard, where Fluker has never played, would be challenging. But Fluker would be closer to the two signal-callers, quarterback Philip Rivers and center Chris Watt.

6) Fluker is a better drive blocker, better also at turning and sealing defenders. He's more aggressive at finishing blocks. Age 24, he's missed only one start in two years. He's far more accomplished than Barksdale was after two seasons. If he can keep his weight under check, a problem last year, his best games are ahead.

7) Chiefs edge rusher Justin Houston still looms as a problem, whoever the Chargers right tackle. He beat Barksdale for three sacks last year.

8) Teams that seek more power to their blocking passed on Barksdale in recent months. The Rams are going with rookie Rob Haverstein, a second-round choice. He last year was the best blocker for ground-oriented Wisconsin and running back Melvin Gordon, the top Chargers draftee.

9) Barksdale lasted just 16 months with the Raiders after they drafted him in 2011. A third-round pick who started 39 games for LSU, he was released in September 2012

10) When new Raiders coaches took over in '12, Barksdale fell behind. Not only did Khalif Barnes beat him out, he was inactive after Barnes went down. Oakland's starter in the final game before his release was Willie Smith, a future Chargers swing tackle who was not brought back this offseason.

11) The Rams and Giants put in waiver claims on Barksdale. Under Rams line coach Paul Boudreau, he improved his footwork and hand movements.

12) Barksdale has flat feet, placing even more of a premium on technique. He is strong and stays fit but isn't a natural knee-bender. The Rams schemed around his limitations as a run blocker.

13) Intelligent, he graduated early from high school with honors. He scored fairly well on the Wonderlic.

14) Entering the draft, NFL teams discussed him at both guard and tackle.

15) Up front, the Chargers are huge. Orlando Franklin, the new left guard, is slightly longer than predecessor Chad Rinehart. Watt has gained muscle since playing at 315 pounds last year.

16) Beefing up at running back, too, Telesco brought in three rookies, led by Gordon, who are all heavier than holdovers Branden Oliver, Donald Brown and Danny Woodhead.

17) Telesco has stirred the pot this offseason at two positions where he had made big investments, offensive line and inside linebacker. That's encouraging. NFL GMs can't afford to fall in love with investments.

18) The GM of late has imported three blockers who'd spent most of their NFL careers at tackle. Does that mean Fluker will move to guard? I don't know.

Given Mike McCoy's oft-stated desire that the five best blockers make up the line, it would make sense to see what Fluker can (and can't) do at right guard, where starter Johnnie Troutman and backup Jeremiah Sirles return. Right-side competition among Fluker-Troutman-Sirles and Fluker-Barksdale-Chris Hairston would strengthen the unit.
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

SOURCES: San Diego Chargers will move D.J. Fluker to Guard in 2015

By John Gennaro  @john_gennaro on Jan 2, 2015, 9:56a 165

Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

A couple of sources within the San Diego Chargers organization are reporting that the team's 2013 first-round draft pick, OT D.J. Fluker, will change positions this offseason and play OG when the team starts training camp in 2015.

 Tweet (133) Share (1149) Pin

On Monday morning I wrote this article, which included this about San Diego Chargers RT D.J. Fluker:

You'll notice that I have Fluker as the RG instead of the RT. I know I may be in the minority here, but I can no longer think of the man as an Offensive Tackle. He has shown, time and time again, that he's not quick enough to handle pass rushers. It's led to a ton of sacks and a lot of false start penalties as he literally has to get off the line before the pass rusher to stand a chance at stopping him. That's not a Tackle. I know he's tall, but Fluker would be a monster of a right guard and would help the interior rushing attack quite a bit, so that's where I'm putting him.

On Monday evening, a friend of mine from within the organization sent me a message telling me that the team viewed Fluker in the same way. In fact, this person said that the team had decided with a few weeks left in the regular season that Fluker would be moved to Guard over the offseason and that would be where he remained for the rest of his career with the team.

Before going crazy and making a post about it right then, based off the word of one person at Chargers Park, I waited. On Wednesday, two things happened.

The Second Source

I got in touch with the writer of this tweet and, without naming names, we confirmed that his source was different from mine, but was also someone from within the organization. That what we call a "confirmed" story.

The Public Acknowledgement

At Tom Telesco's end of the year press conference, the Chargers GM talked up FLuker's abilities as a guard and said that he could have a future there.

Now, he said Fluker could be a RT or a guard next season, but that is mostly just covering his own ass. What if the team can't find an upgrade at RT this offseason? What if the guy they sign in free agency gets seriously injured in training camp? There are ways in which Fluker could remain at RT in 2015, and so it makes sense for Telesco to make that clear. However, in what should be perceived as a very intelligent move, the Chargers have made the decision to try to move Fluker to one of the guard spots, where his talents are better suited.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2015
                    • Send PM

Can anyone think of an example of a tackle moving inside to guard and getting worse? I can think of some bad tackles who were bad guards (Charlie Johnson), but I can't think of any cases where an NFL tackle moved inside and didn't remain as effective (usually they were better). Not to say that moving to guard is just automatic, but the success rate sure seems pretty high.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Much better competition this year to determine Best Five.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

If it happens it's perfect IMO. It makes too much sense.
                        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

I CAN'T WAIT to see Fluker at Guard. Just fantasizing about it and I saw Fluker pancaking guys left and right.
                          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Working...
                          X