Clear All
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Rivers article

Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Can't read it. Been there too many times following the Stadium roulette wheel.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

This is who Philip Rivers is.

The contract talk – and lack of it – has worn on him to varying degrees over the past couple months. He watched during free agency and the draft, interested in how his team would get better. He is during the offseason as much a fan as a football player, fretting and frustrated. He cares so much, and with each year he gets closer to having no more chances.

But then he gets back with “the guys.”

He’s spent the past couple weeks getting to know the new offensive linemen and talking to Stevie Johnson about routes and Melvin Gordon about protections. And joking around in the locker room. He loves the locker room.

Tuesday, he got on the field for the first coaching session of the offseason.

He is running an offense with a bunch of new players. A few of his best friends have retired. Every year, this team becomes a little more new.

But whatever changes, whatever has been going on around him or around the team, nothing else really matters.

There has never been a year like this for Rivers. But all that does is reinforce that, with him, it’s the same thing every year.

“It was the natural progression – from down in the dumps to starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and you get back to getting excited again,” he said after Tuesday's workout. “You see personnel changes. You lose buddies who have been there with you. You go through that progression, and then you get excited about the guys who have been brought in to replace them. Then you get on the practice field, and you start looking, and you go ‘Man, we can be pretty dang good.“

His comments this offseason had been few. When he has spoken, the honesty about the uncertainty has mostly been interpreted as foreboding. After Tuesday's practice, he made his first public comments.

And in those 11 minutes of banter and smiling, there was assurance.

In what he said and the way he said it, San Diego should be reminded why, whatever the feelings of he and his family about wanting to remain in San Diego and not being all that crazy about a possible move to Los Angeles, whether or not he will be convinced to remain a Charger for the rest of his career, there is absolutely no concern about the man’s ability and commitment to continue to lead the Chargers right now.

“As much noise as there has been on the outside,” he said, “for the most part, for me it has been go as usual – to do all I can to get better personally and do all I can do to help the Chargers win, because it hasn’t been good enough … We want to get back to where we’ve been and play our way into 2016.”

There has been little talk between the Chargers and Rivers’ agent this month, and along with his declaration earlier this offseason he probably wouldn’t sign an extension this offseason, Rivers said he was “certain” to play out the final year on his deal if something was not done before training camp began.

That leaves two months. Plenty of time.

A contract extension seems as likely to happen as not, according to the same sources who have characterized dealings between the sides as ongoing but unchanging.

“I have no expectations at this point,” Rivers said Tuesday.

But he is certainly pleased by the addition of three veteran offensive linemen and the drafting of an explosive running back. If you know how much he hates to lose, you must believe his love of San Diego over Los Angeles can be trumped by his belief in he and his teammates being able to win.

Regardless, he is the quarterback now. Same as he has been.
      Prediction:
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .

Comment

• KNSD
        Registered Charger Hater
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Just clean out your browsing history (cookies), and it'll show up again.
        Prediction:

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Nice to see Acee not breaking a sweat. A new sentence on phase whatever of OTA's starting, and a sentence at the end of the article on 3 OL, and presto, new article.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
            This is who Philip Rivers is.

The contract talk – and lack of it – has worn on him to varying degrees over the past couple months. He watched during free agency and the draft, interested in how his team would get better. He is during the offseason as much a fan as a football player, fretting and frustrated. He cares so much, and with each year he gets closer to having no more chances.

But then he gets back with “the guys.”

He’s spent the past couple weeks getting to know the new offensive linemen and talking to Stevie Johnson about routes and Melvin Gordon about protections. And joking around in the locker room. He loves the locker room.

Tuesday, he got on the field for the first coaching session of the offseason.

He is running an offense with a bunch of new players. A few of his best friends have retired. Every year, this team becomes a little more new.

But whatever changes, whatever has been going on around him or around the team, nothing else really matters.

There has never been a year like this for Rivers. But all that does is reinforce that, with him, it’s the same thing every year.

“It was the natural progression – from down in the dumps to starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and you get back to getting excited again,” he said after Tuesday's workout. “You see personnel changes. You lose buddies who have been there with you. You go through that progression, and then you get excited about the guys who have been brought in to replace them. Then you get on the practice field, and you start looking, and you go ‘Man, we can be pretty dang good.“

His comments this offseason had been few. When he has spoken, the honesty about the uncertainty has mostly been interpreted as foreboding. After Tuesday's practice, he made his first public comments.

And in those 11 minutes of banter and smiling, there was assurance.

In what he said and the way he said it, San Diego should be reminded why, whatever the feelings of he and his family about wanting to remain in San Diego and not being all that crazy about a possible move to Los Angeles, whether or not he will be convinced to remain a Charger for the rest of his career, there is absolutely no concern about the man’s ability and commitment to continue to lead the Chargers right now.

“As much noise as there has been on the outside,” he said, “for the most part, for me it has been go as usual – to do all I can to get better personally and do all I can do to help the Chargers win, because it hasn’t been good enough … We want to get back to where we’ve been and play our way into 2016.”

There has been little talk between the Chargers and Rivers’ agent this month, and along with his declaration earlier this offseason he probably wouldn’t sign an extension this offseason, Rivers said he was “certain” to play out the final year on his deal if something was not done before training camp began.

That leaves two months. Plenty of time.

A contract extension seems as likely to happen as not, according to the same sources who have characterized dealings between the sides as ongoing but unchanging.

“I have no expectations at this point,” Rivers said Tuesday.

But he is certainly pleased by the addition of three veteran offensive linemen and the drafting of an explosive running back. If you know how much he hates to lose, you must believe his love of San Diego over Los Angeles can be trumped by his belief in he and his teammates being able to win.

Regardless, he is the quarterback now. Same as he has been.
            Thanks!
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

....I haven't had time to read it
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Gilded Pickle
                outside looking in
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                Just clean out your browsing history (cookies), and it'll show up again.

Telling Mister Hoarse to clean his cookies, eh? Let's hope he doesn't post any pictures of that...

Last edited by Gilded Pickle; 05-26-2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Ok. Another frequent phrase I don't like in football reports is the locker room. Philip Rivers loves the locker room? Really? If so, I don't want to know that.

I mean, yea, I guess I'm not the homophobe I used to be. I like Hillcrest. My best friend's neighbor is gay. I felt okay watching Michael Sam smooching his dude on TV. If I made pizza, I'd be fine with making one for a gay wedding.

But, as far as what goes on in a place where men take showers and change, I don't effing want to know. If that's the place where a reporter gets the story, then so be it. One can give me the information without telling me exactly where one got one's information.

I was a journalist. When I interviewed people, I didn't often explain to readers exactly where I was when the discussion took play. Well, um, except for that one article that got me fired. "Mayor Smith explained the difference between a general fund operating budget and an auxiliary fund operating budget while I was taking a $#!& in the stall next to him. Then, suddenly, the laxatives kicked in." No, wait. That never happened. My apologies to Dr. Gonzo.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2015, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

The "locker room" is just a euphemism for "the office". It's probably the only place that the players have for personal space, unless they have them in their individual "rooms". It would sound dumb for football players to call the locker room an office.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      The "locker room" is just a euphemism for "the office". It's probably the only place that the players have for personal space, unless they have them in their individual "rooms". It would sound dumb for football players to call the locker room an office.
                      Kevin Acee wrote, "He’s spent the past couple weeks getting to know the new offensive linemen and talking to Stevie Johnson about routes and Melvin Gordon about protections. And joking around in the locker room. He loves the locker room."

I would write, "Rivers talked business with new Chargers such as wide receiver Stevie Johnson and running back Melvin Gordon. However, in more interesting news, the quarterback threw five passes to veteran receiver Malcolm Floyd without any sign of pain."

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Oh, come on now.

Comment

Working...
                        X