X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

I'm still on Weddle's side. But, then, I'm always on the side of the little man in a fight.

Not saying Weddle is little - he's got more bucks than I'll ever see. But, compared to the douche bags he plays for, he's Tattoo.

The Spanoses can go fuck themselves.

Shit went down the way I said it would. They should have fucking negotiated with Weddle. They didn't have to pay him if they didn't think he was worth it. They could have just traded him, but they should have negotiated with him first. This is the way it always happens with the dumbass Spanoses though. Now, instead of having a Pro Bowl safety or at least whatever a Pro Bowl safety gets in a trade, the Spanoses have a dude who missed games for the first time in forever and had probably his worst year. And, when he's gone, they'll get nothing.

Shaving the beard was a dick move though.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
      I'm still on Weddle's side. But, then, I'm always on the side of the little man in a fight.

Not saying Weddle is little - he's got more bucks than I'll ever see. But, compared to the douche bags he plays for, he's Tattoo.

The Spanoses can go fuck themselves.

Shit went down the way I said it would. They should have fucking negotiated with Weddle. They didn't have to pay him if they didn't think he was worth it. They could have just traded him, but they should have negotiated with him first. This is the way it always happens with the dumbass Spanoses though. Now, instead of having a Pro Bowl safety or at least whatever a Pro Bowl safety gets in a trade, the Spanoses have a dude who missed games for the first time in forever and had probably his worst year. And, when he's gone, they'll get nothing.

Chargers never closed the door to bringing him back- just not talking about it until after the season. They knew guys coming up on 30 with lots of miles can go downhill fast and he wasn't worth a top S contract like he had anymore. Nobody trades for guys like that and no offers came in IIRC. Weddle got butthurt and made ultimatums about his contract status and skipped some OTAs like never before. Sure enough he ended up with groin problems this year. Aren't you 1 of the guys bitching about big contracts for Gaither, Cox, Butler and Flowers not working out? We faced the same thing with Weddle and the Chargers were smart to take a wait and see approach.

And the Hipster beard and Mohawk were just stupid on a guy his age. FTW is only for young rebellious people until they grow up. Now he has to try and impress the Patriots to hire him and did the right thing and cleaned up.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Do not agree at all. There was zero reason to negotiate with a guy north of 30 who is under contract. If he had come back this season and had a stellar year, then would have been time to negotiate a short term extension. But his play, age, injuries and attitude this year are why he won't be on the team going forward. Nobody was going to give us much in a trade and it would have just created another hole to fill. There are plenty of things to question the team about, but this isn't one of them. He has been one of my favorite players for quite a while now, but the NFL is a young man's game and it's time to move on.

And shaving the beard was absolutely the right thing to do - he looked like an idiot with it.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post
          Weddle proved to me that he is a fool.

I have zero respect for a player who gives up on his teammates, flat out quit playing. You have a job, they are paying you, do it. Weddle should have STFU, played his heart out and showed that Spanos was wrong. Instead, he proved to me that he he does not deserve the contract he wants. He proved to me that he will quit on his teammates. I have lost a lot of respect in Weddle the man, up until this season he was in my all time top 5 of Chargers players. All that he had to do was ask permission, like Mike Scifres. Scifres was allowed to attend. What right does Weddle have to walk out on his job like that, I pull that stunt at my work I get fired. I don't care what you think of Spanos, this is not about Spanos. This is about Weddle proving that he is a punk. Good riddance.
          yup. and he was supposed to be the captain of the defense. LOL! he can go coattail Brady for a ring for all I care.

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
            Lol. If only this were real.
            Hilarious....

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
              yup. and he was supposed to be the captain of the defense. LOL! he can go coattail Brady for a ring for all I care.
              Or bring the San Diego ex player luck to the Cheats so they win it next year.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                Chargers never closed the door to bringing him back- just not talking about it until after the season. They knew guys coming up on 30 with lots of miles can go downhill fast and he wasn't worth a top S contract like he had anymore. Nobody trades for guys like that and no offers came in IIRC. Weddle got butthurt and made ultimatums about his contract status and skipped some OTAs like never before. Sure enough he ended up with groin problems this year. Aren't you 1 of the guys bitching about big contracts for Gaither, Cox, Butler and Flowers not working out? We faced the same thing with Weddle and the Chargers were smart to take a wait and see approach.

And the Hipster beard and Mohawk were just stupid on a guy his age. FTW is only for young rebellious people until they grow up. Now he has to try and impress the Patriots to hire him and did the right thing and cleaned up.
                1. Spanos didn't negotiate. That's what I think was stupid. It's the same way he treats all his stars at the ends of their careers. If somebody says dick about their contract, that person gets shit talked about them in public and that person becomes persona non grata forever. The only one I can think of that was allowed to breathe air anywhere near Spanos again was Gates, and he had to sit out a game because of it.

2. Butthurt? How does anybody ever respond to that word? You mean a hard-working employee felt he didn't get the respect a long-time player deserves from his employer? Is that what butthurt is?

3. Weddle skipped voluntary workouts just like Spanos skipped voluntary negotiations.

4. Yes, I was the only guy bitching about Butler's contract extension. Butler was not a team player and had a history of injuries. It was stupid to re-sign him.

5. I'm not saying the Spanoses needed to give Weddle a raise or a contract extension. But they should have met with him. It's the way normal people treat their long-time employees. If I wanted to negotiate a new contract, I'm certain my boss would meet with me. Would he give me what I want? Probably not. But he would meet with me, and he wouldn't have my supervisor talk shit about me in front of my co-workers.

6. The Spanoses weren't smart. They were dicks - just like they always are.

7. Hipster beard? I'm not exactly sure what that is, but Weddle's beard ain't any longer than Moses's was. Was Moses a hipster? Oh - and the mohawk was badass. If I could get away with it at work, I'd wear one, and I'd grow my beard that long. I'm older than Weddle, and, now, I have a cool beard, and he doesn't. He let down his bearded brothers.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  Do not agree at all. There was zero reason to negotiate with a guy north of 30 who is under contract. If he had come back this season and had a stellar year, then would have been time to negotiate a short term extension. But his play, age, injuries and attitude this year are why he won't be on the team going forward. Nobody was going to give us much in a trade and it would have just created another hole to fill. There are plenty of things to question the team about, but this isn't one of them. He has been one of my favorite players for quite a while now, but the NFL is a young man's game and it's time to move on.

And shaving the beard was absolutely the right thing to do - he looked like an idiot with it.
                  I'm the only one, I guess, who thinks talking with one's long-time employees is a good idea. But, whatever. I guess that's why I'm not a boss. Maybe I'm too nice. We all know the Spanos-style of ownership has been really successful.

4-12 is fucking rad. Please, give me more.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

I'm the only one, I guess, who thinks talking with one's long-time employees is a good idea. But, whatever. I guess that's why I'm not a boss. Maybe I'm too nice. We all know the Spanos-style of ownership has been really successful.

I have nothing wrong with talking to him (and reportedly TT did to tell him they would talk after the season but you couldn't hear that with the screeching by his agent and Weddle), but why the need to rush into negotiations with him while he was still under contract? Did you see anything from his play this last season that would have warranted an extension? And while you are taking pity on Weddle, remember that idiot Spanos family made him the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL when he signed his last contract and there were a lot of people who thought he was overpaid.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                      SLAM DUNK!
                      • Jun 2013
                      • East County San Diego
                      • Bolt fanatic
                      • Send PM

4-12 sucks but it is only our second losing record in the past 13 years....that is not too shabby when you look at it from a different point of view. At least we got the #3 pick....last time we went 4-12 we got Rivers so lets have some optimism. Drink some poly anna kool aid, its the off season where hope springs eternal.

Lets dominate the NFL and pass that fucking vote!
                      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Talking to Weddle is fine. But the way he and his agent handled from last offseason through preseason and even into the season was bush and certainly would have turned me off to eventual negotiations especially with the football reasons that kept them from extending him in the first place. I'm sure by the time he did the halftime deal both sides knew he was gone. If he thought there were any chance that he might stay then he probably shouldn't have done that without clearing it with his coach. It's been a very disappointing year in many respects but I have to say that the whole Weddle situation has probably only been overshadowed by the disappointments of the stadium deal and the team's final record. He has been an excellent player for us and a real leader on the team. The way he handled it certainly lowered him in my opinion and I suspect the team's and management's.

Sad ending and he'll probably go get a ring someplace because that's what our ex-stars do, but I wouldn't bring him back at this point, not even on a team-friendly deal.

Comment

• boldarblood
                          Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I really don't see what was wrong with the Chargers wanting to delay the contract talks with Weddle at the time. They were upcoming on the draft and were in the middle of contact talks with Rivers. They never once said they did not want to negotiate with Weddle, they wanted to wait. In my opinion Weddle and his agent tried to force things and it went bad. I think Weddles agent is a real piece of work and gave him nothing but bad advice.

Weddle ignored his responsiblities to the fans and his team mates. He is a team captain who is paid $7.5 million to do a job, and that is STILL top 5 money for safety. Weddle had a chance to prove that the Chargers were wrong. All he had to do was come out and play like a champion and prove that the Chargers were wrong. Instead, I think he proved that he is not worthy of being Captain, not worthy of a big contract, and somehow managed to turn himself into a bit of a team cancer.

Try to remove yourself from how you feel about Spanos when thinking about Weddle for this situation. Would you re-sign weddle to the highest paid safety in the NFL right now? Did he play like an all pro? Did he treat his team mates right? Did he treat the fans right who pay good money to come watch him play. I think Weddle has become a distraction, and at this point its addition by subtraction.

And again, this makes me sad. He was one of my all time favorites, I have rooted for him since we all thought we overpaid to get him. His actions and attitude really rubbed me the wrong way. I do not want him to represent the Chargers anymore.

Comment

Working...
                          X