Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Conway, Hardwick join Chargers broadcast
    By Michael Gehlken | 11:50 a.m. July 9, 2015

The Chargers radio broadcast team has a new look, iHeartMedia finalizing Thursday two new members for the 2015 season.

Retired wide receiver Curtis Conway will replace long-time color analyst Hank Bauer in the booth beside returning play-by-play man Josh Lewin. Nick Hardwick retired from the NFL in February, but he won't be far. The former Chargers center will serve as the station's sideline reporter for all home and away games.

Conway played 12 NFL seasons, the first seven of which for the Bears before a 2000 to 2002 stint with the Chargers.

The Los Angeles native began work as an NFL color analyst in 2009 with Compass Media Networks. Along with his new role, iHeartMedia said that he'll continue working as a studio analyst for the NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" and co-host of its "Total Access." Conway is married to Laila Ali, a champion boxer and daughter of Muhammad Ali.

Bauer had been in the booth since 1998. His contract was not renewed this spring.

Meanwhile, Hardwick will travel with the Chargers for a 12th consecutive season.

The 33-year-old arguably was the finest center in franchise history, regarded for his consistency and leadership. A 2004 third-round draft pick from Purdue, he spent all 11 years of his career in San Diego and made 136 starts. He and his family live in San Diego, Hardwick active in the community effort to build a local stadium that'd keep the Chargers from relocating to Los Angeles as early as 2016.

Lewin is back for his 11th season as the team's play-by-play voice.

Mike Costa will remain a sideline reporter for home games in 2015 and see an expanded pre-game role, an iHeartMedia official said.

“We’re excited to welcome Curtis and Nick to our radio team,” said A.G. Spanos, Chargers president of business operations. “Together with Josh, they will bring a strong mix of playing experience and broadcast experience as well as a new energy to the broadcast. I’m really looking forward to hearing them call a great season for the team and our fans.”
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 10m10 minutes ago

Curtis Conway, Nick Hardwick tabbed to join Chargers radio broadcast team: http://utsd.us/1NROSwb
      Curtis Conway might be decent. Maybe, since he's been out of the league, he's been studying and practicing the skills necessary to be a broadcaster. Nick Hardwick - no way. The dude is one year removed from his jockdom. There is zero chance he's ready to be a professional broadcaster. I'd rather have an ignorant Jew disser than him.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

How much training do you need to be the side line reporter?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          How much training do you need to be the side line reporter?
          I don't know. I've only heard ex jocks, hot chicks, and murderers do that job. Maybe, one day, when I hear an actual broadcaster make a sideline report, I'll learn something or feel entertained.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Nick is very well spoken but also doesn't like to BS so I'm looking forward to hearing him.

I don't really care much about Curtis Conway. To me, he's a Bear.

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
              I don't know. I've only heard ex jocks, hot chicks, and murderers do that job. Maybe, one day, when I hear an actual broadcaster make a sideline report, I'll learn something or feel entertained.
              Those are pretty rare animals these days. Just like columnists and journalists.
              sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                Those are pretty rare animals these days. Just like columnists and journalists.
                I read about them in the history books.

Comment

Working...
                X