• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Even if a team cut a starting quality OL, I don't think we'd go after him. Right now, we are what we're going to be.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think our Oline is going to surprise a lot of people on this board.....in a positive way.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Our OL is gonna make Denver's look pretty crappy. Not sorry.

Comment

• BoltBacker
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Las Vegas, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
          I was asking a question - not stating what I think will happen.

I guess you gave me my answer though. We're stuck with what we got?
          Were in a much better spot than last year.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
            Were in a much better spot than last year.
            We have a left guard this year. Any other improvement we make is just based on hope.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I was asking a question - not stating what I think will happen.

I guess you gave me my answer though. We're stuck with what we got?
              I am not thinking of it as being stuck though. We have several solid options, on top of some very good options on the left side.

Watt is a 3rd round draft pick and a fairly accomplished college player. I think he struggled as a rookie (which is not uncommon) and he was learning a new position under difficult circumstances. He was viewed as a long term replacement for Hardwick, then before the end of game one, he sees the future coming up now. Instead of getting to truely focus, he is forced to spend time starting to learn C, and not really being allowed to focus on OG (he was the emergency C, but was still playing regularly at RG), then eventually being forced take over at C before the end of the year. I'm not going to say that the guy played well, because he didn't. But I did think the real issue was the guy didn't have a clue how to play C. The footwork, the calls, the teamwork between the players, it was totally foreign to him. When he got isolated man on man, whether it was OG or C, he did a good job. But he has a lot to do in terms of learning to be a C, and I think the time he has spent with the coaches and Hardwick are going to get him ready.

As far as the RG spot, I think we have some OK, but not great choices. Barksdale and Hairston are both very good athletes who are still learning to be good players. They need to work a lot harder at finishing, which is something their ability never forced them to do, which is similar to the experience Dunlap had coming out of college. Troutman switched positions last year, and struggled without Hardwick at C, who was someone he counted on a lot to help him out, and Troutman was the guy who had to help the parade of different C, and that was too much to ask a guy who was still struggling to find himself.

Now, Hairston and Barksdale will be pushing Fluker, who if he doesn't improve his technique is not going to start at either OT or OG. But even if the starters for the majority of next season are Hairston and Barksdale, I think we will be OK. They aren't great, but they are OK players, and no team has ever had an entire OL of all pros. Most teams have a couple of very good players, and some average ones.

The other thing that people seem like they constantly forget, both OL and DL, is the value for the offense of staying balanced. It is a lot harder on a D, and easier for the O, if you can't tee off and just play one or the other. We may have drafted Gordon, but we are not going to become this run at all cost team. But we aren't going to just throw either. The plan is obviously to find some balance, and if you are balanced, the other team has to play balanced for most of the game. You can make average OL look a whole lot better if you don't set them up where they have to be roadgraders every play or dancing bear pass blockers every play. I'm not saying they will be great, but they can be adequate if we can keep teams from teeing off against us.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Fluker not starting? Believe it when I see it.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I don't think it is going to happen, but Fluker has to perform, otherwise I don't see how they can leave him on the field with 3 OT (Franklin could move there too, but probably only if needed). I do think he is working very hard to improve his technique but if it doesn't happen, then I don't think we have a choice.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

From what we've read, Fluker has been working hard to improve his hand punch. As long as he continues to work to improve, I can't see him not starting. Plus, he wants to be great. That's not the profile of a lazy guy.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Las Vegas, NV
                      • Send PM

We have a left guard this year. Any other improvement we make is just based on hope.
                      If using that assumption only that is a 20% improvement.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                        From what we've read, Fluker has been working hard to improve his hand punch. As long as he continues to work to improve, I can't see him not starting. Plus, he wants to be great. That's not the profile of a lazy guy.
                        In between body slamming Raiders, Fluker has been working with Apollo Creed on getting those Italian Stallion tiger eyes.

Yo Danny Lee Jesus!

Rocky Balboa training for his match against Clubber Lang (Mr.T).Rocky 3 Training Scene:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0qVUn4797gRocky 5 Training Scene:http:...

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
                          If using that assumption only that is a 20% improvement.
                          That's actually technically literally true, athletically and mathematically speaking.

Comment

Working...
                          X