• Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers QB Philip Rivers says there's no deadline for contract talks
    5h
    EmailComment
    Eric D. Williams, ESPN Staff Writer
    SAN DIEGO -- Talking to reporters for the first time in a week, Philip Rivers provided no update on where negotiations stand on a contract extension with the San Diego Chargers.

“My mentality has been the same since March, which is I’m playing this season right here,” Rivers said. “Like I said a few weeks ago, if something happens, it does. But I don’t think you should hold your breath for an update any time soon.”

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Rivers set a cutoff point of the team’s exhibition opener Aug. 13 against the Dallas Cowboys as the deadline to get a deal done. If the team and Rivers do not have an agreement after that point, Rivers plans to wait until the end of the season to avoid the distraction of future negotiations.

However, Rivers told reporters Wednesday after practice there is no hard deadline.

Rivers, 33, is in the final year of his deal, scheduled to make $15.75 million in total compensation for the 2015 season. Rivers indicated if the two sides don’t consummate a deal before the season starts that he’s comfortable playing out the remainder of his deal and potentially hitting free agency after the completion of the 2015 season.

However, the Chargers can place the franchise tag on Rivers and keep him with the team for the next two seasons if the sides can’t come to an agreement on a contract extension
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
      Lock him up
      Please.

The guys from 1360 were broadcasting from the practice field and were marveling that they didn't see Rivers throw a single bad pass the entire practice. It is going to be so hard to replace that guy.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        Please.

The guys from 1360 were broadcasting from the practice field and were marveling that they didn't see Rivers throw a single bad pass the entire practice. It is going to be so hard to replace that guy.
        He will be sorely missed, probably for several long years, once he is gone.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

How the hell does Cam Newton get to be the #4 highest paid QB?

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Rivers saying there's no hard deadline makes me think they're close...really close.

Comment

• KNSD
              Registered Charger Hater
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              How the hell does Cam Newton get to be the #4 highest paid QB?
              He's one of the latest to sign. The other dudes signed long term contracts much earlier.
              Prediction:
              Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
              Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
              Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I think Newton signed his this off season

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  I think Newton signed his this off season
                  And the salary cap has gone up quite a bit. In four years he'll be a pauper compared to other starting QBs.
                  Prediction:
                  Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                  Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                    And the salary cap has gone up quite a bit. In four years he'll be a pauper compared to other starting QBs.
                    With the beating Cam Newton takes, I'd be surprised to find out he's not already a popper. Pain-killing meds are addictive.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                      That may be true but he still shouldnt be the 4th highest right now. Paying Cam Newton 17-20 million a year is insane. Cutler is way overpaid as well and its astounding that they got those contracts in todays market.

Comment

Working...
                      X