• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TTThunder
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Our Offense - This Year vs Last Year

(Sorry, I am a life long Chargers fan, but I do not know much about the X and O of football...)

Last year, our OL was bad and we had a rookie QB with no practice playing with the first team with no expectation to start in year 1 and our offense was unexpectedly quite good!

Minus the running up the middle for no gain or loss, it was a very exciting offense to watch, especially with the long bomb from Herbert to T Billy and Guyton...

I was surprised that we did not retain either OC or the QB coach. Since they said our HC focuses on maximizing the talents we have, I had a high expectation for our new OC.

(If I were the new OC, I will keep the passing game as it is (maybe adding some more variety) and focus on strengthening the running game with the improved OL.)

I was a bit cautious of our OC, since they said that he failed miserably at DT, despite having a very good QB in Stafford and turning him into 'check down king'.

However, I was hoping that the second time is a charm for him (Belichick also failed at his first time big job...).

I was shocked that we cut T Billy since I think we should have a least 2 speedy guys at WR to stretch the field.

(I am Thai, living in Bangkok) I just had a chance to watch only the highlight from youtube. Here are some of my observations:

1. So we stop throwing long bomb to WR like we did last year (I guess we did a few times each game last year)? As I recalled, I did not see Guyton catching any long pass so far.

Maybe that was the reason we cut T Billy. Having one speedy WR is already more than enough (since we are not going to throw long bomb anyway)?!?

2. With my inexperienced eyes, I felt last year long passes to WR were by design.

I somehow felt that, this year long pass to Mike was more of a blown coverage by the defense than our design?!

3. If I am the opponent DC, I will fear for last year offense more than this year due to no more long bomb threat...

4. Last year, I felt that we did a good job of distributing passes to our WR, TE and RB.

I was surprised that before the season, our OC said that we will focus on throwing more to Mike Williams. (The reason - why did you need to tip the game plan to our opponents?!? Keeping them guessing is the best policy in my opinion...)

It looks like this year, the pass is focused for Allen, Mike and Ekeler. Only when really needed (like the Raiders game), will we use the TE.

I began to wonder why we spent the 3rd round pick on Palmer, if we are not going to use him a lot?!?

(I saw that he did quite well in the pre-season. But once the regular season starts, we stopped using him almost entirely. In game like NE, we should have focused on Palmer since Belichick did not have much film on him yet!)

5. Some said that this year OL cannot pass protect and thus causing all the issues on the offense.

But isn't this year OL supposed to be A LOT BETTER than last year?

6. I love Herbert (since knowing that he is also a Chargers fan), but I felt that this offense does not fit him. He should be throwing long bomb a few times a game like last year.

So the real reason we do not have long bomb was by design or our OL is bad?

7. One thing I love about Herbert is that he always tries to get better.

But does he really improve this year?

Last year, I did not feel that he missed the targets much. All experts also said that his accuracy was surprisingly good.

But this year, I wonder quite often that - how come the pass missed the target by that much if he is an accurate passer?!?

8. Last year, I think Herbert was complimented that he threw the pass with the proper amount of power, so it is not difficult for the receivers to catch.

This year, I saw some comments in this forum saying that his pass is sometime too strong or lack touches...

So he also regressed in this aspect?

9. Last year, Herbert did not seem to panic being rushed. This year, I think I saw quite a few times that he seemed to panic.

So he also regressed in this aspect?

10. It is sad to say that, despite having a threat at QB, our offense these days is boring (like the time we have a (I do not remember their name anymore) QB that does not scare anyone and we have to run, run, run)

But if we can win with that, I am OK.

However, it looks like the above-average defenses are already caught up with our offense game plan and without any adjustment, winning will be hard to come by. (Like this MN game that we should have won...)

11. I hope our OC realizes that, he is not maximizing Herbert talents with this scheme.

I felt like he is using Herbert, like we have a weak arm QB who cannot stretch the field...

12. As said earlier, I do not know much about football, so any comments/feedbacks are welcome...

Go Bolts!!!
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Lombardi strikes me as a guy that stole all the answers from the genius but doesn’t know when to use them.

But I still think the bottom line for this team is the quality of the players.

We now know Staley’s defensive success last year was largely because of Aaron Donald. This years defensive line is Swiss cheese.

Lastly….what about ownership? Kroenke gives the green light to do whatever it takes to win now and Payton makes trades, spends draft capital, and picks up the best FA’s.

In contrast we have John Spanos that’s overseen the draft and FA’s going back longer than TT’s been here and it’s been mediocrity or worse. It’s like they have to check with Dean’s sister before they spend a nickel.

I knew this season was over when they did not address the DL aggressively before the trade deadline. You think Sean Payton would have let that slide?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
      Lombardi strikes me as a guy that stole all the answers from the genius but doesn’t know when to use them.

We now know Staley’s defensive success last year was largely because of Aaron Donald. This years defensive line is Swiss cheese.

Lastly….what about ownership? Kroenke gives the green light to do whatever it takes to win now and Payton makes trades, spends draft capital, and picks up the best FA’s.

In contrast we have John Spanos that’s overseen the draft and FA’s going back longer than TT’s been here and it’s been mediocrity or worse. It’s like they have to check with Dean’s sister before they spend a nickel.

I knew this season was over when they did not address the DL aggressively before the trade deadline. You think Sean Payton would have let that slide?
      Its not Sean Payton, its Mickey Loomis and their cap guy (who is really good) - but it was reported the Saints called the Browns and advised the Browns on how they could re-do OBJs contract to allow the Saints to fit it under the cap to make a trade. The Saints tried this with another trade - the league said no

The Saints are very forward thinking when it comes to their business model and how they structure their cap. I used to think it would bite them - but now I get it and appreciate it. Its actually very smart.

So- to your point the Spanos and TT are much more conservative in terms of usage of both current and future cap space (which means CASH!!) as well as draft picks.

Comment

you can learn a lot from youtube

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
          Outback Goon
          • Sep 2018
          • Australia
          • Send PM

do not write off other teams Film Study.
          NFL DC's are smart dudes and have a season+ of Herbert film to find what rattles him and how to exploit it. They did not have that last year

O-line is improved on the left only. A stud RT next years draft will pay dividends.

Add in Herbert is still learning this new system and you can see the curve. I have seen almost completely different game plans for each team we have faced this season, i cant remember last time i saw that with Chargers. Give it time and some patience. We are 5-4 not 1-8.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

When and how to use them with our existing players. Payton is laughing at us now for making Lombardi our OC!

opcorn:
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

When and how to use them with our existing players. Payton is laughing at us now for making Lombardi our OC!

opcorn:
              Everyone seems to forget that both Staley and Lombardi said at the beginning of the season that the offensive playbook was so large that they were only using a part of what it will be when fully implemented. Clearly Herbert has a ways to go but if anyone really thinks he won’t master it with some experience is selling him very short.

Comment

• Blastttoff
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2020
                • Send PM

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Everyone seems to forget that both Staley and Lombardi said at the beginning of the season that the offensive playbook was so large that they were only using a part of what it will be when fully implemented. Clearly Herbert has a ways to go but if anyone really thinks he won’t master it with some experience is selling him very short.
                  So the price of implementing their playbook is losses? Herbert was kicking ass and winning games under Steichen's playbook the end of last season. What good is a big playbook if it ruins the offense?

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

So the price of implementing their playbook is losses? Herbert was kicking ass and winning games under Steichen's playbook the end of last season. What good is a big playbook if it ruins the offense?
                    Herbert was 6-9 as a starting QB last year and is 5-4 this year. If you only count the last 4 games of the year (one against the KC backups) than shouldn’t you wait to see how he looks in the last 4 games this year after he has more time mastering this offense?

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post
                      Wow. Work in progress is more apt?

Comment

• Bolts318
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Yeah, NFL network had a quick blurb about what is ailing the Chargers and they stuck it to Lombardi and Herbert. I mean, when the Chargers were up 17-13 late in the third, the next two drives were what- like 4-and-out, followed by 3-and-out. I know every drive can't be perfect but so frustrating that failing on those two drives seemed to change the entire game. Same thing with the Patriots-we are up by a point late, with the ball in our hands, and boom, the Pats get a pick-6. Is Lombardi channeling his inner Schottenheimer and forgetting how to play with a lead?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍