Bootleg Beat the Cards Gameday Thread...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Eric D. Williams
    Shares
    Email
    Print
    Comment
    Preseason records don't matter much, but the San Diego Chargers moved to 2-0 in exhibition play with a 22-19 win over the Arizona Cardinals at the University of Phoenix stadium on Saturday. San Diego's defense led the way, with six sacks -- all in the first half -- and an interception by linebacker Kavell Conner. Rookie kicker Josh Lambo hit a game-winning 47-yard field goal as time expired.

QB depth chart: Philip Rivers did not play against the Cardinals, as head coach Mike McCoy said the plan all along at the start of training camp was to hold out his starting quarterback in the second preseason game. With Rivers watching, Kellen Clemens did not exactly set the world on fire. He finished 9-of-15 for 88 yards passing, with no touchdowns and no interceptions. Clemens posted a 76.5 passer rating. After throwing an interception, third-string quarterback Brad Sorensen led the Chargers on three scoring drives in the second half. Sorensen finished 13-of-25 for 122 yards.

Maybe that dude could start: Rookie defensive lineman Darius Philon showed why San Diego coaches have been raving about his explosiveness off of the ball in training camp. He finished with an impressive sack in the second quarter and two combined tackles on the evening.

Rookie Darius Philon records one of the Chargers' six sacks against the Cardinals on Saturday. Ross D. Franklin/AP
    Who got hurt? Punter Mike Scifres appeared to suffer an injured groin, but continued to play. Receiver Dontrelle Inman suffered a concussion and did not return.

A surprise performer who looks amazing: Undrafted rookie free agent inside linebacker Nick Dzubnar was around the ball, totaling five combined tackles and a sack. At 6-1 and 240 pounds, Dzubnar plays with anticipation and seems to have a nose for the football. He also had a couple special teams tackles.

Rookie watch: The Chargers first two draft picks in running back Melvin Gordon and inside linebacker Denzel Perryman did not play. Cornerback Craig Mager had another solid game, finishing with a couple pass-breakups. Fifth-round selection Kyle Emanuel played some snaps with the first unit and was uneven in his performance. Philon notched his first sack of the preseason.

When it was starters vs. starters, the Chargers looked ...: The defense created pressure, notching six sacks in the first half, including two by Melvin Ingram. The Chargers totaled just 26 sacks all of last season. Offensively, the Chargers sputtered with Rivers and Gordon out. San Diego managed just 111 total yards in the first half, running just four plays in Arizona territory. San Diego's No. 1 receiver Keenan Allen had two drops in the first half.

One reason to freak out -- good: Besides the six sacks, San Diego's defense continues to show improvement. The Chargers played solid on third down, and also did a nice job of holding the Cardinals to field goals. However, San Diego has to be more consistent stopping the run.

Run game still sputtering: Even with a renewed emphasis on running the football, the Chargers still can't get a push in the running game on offense. San Diego finished with just 46 total rushing yards against the Cardinals. Through two preseason games, the Chargers' first-unit offense has six running plays of no gain or minus yards. The Chargers have to figure things out up front or they will be relying on Rivers throwing the football for another season.

Lambo stands out: Rookie Josh Lambo, competing for the starting kicking job with incumbent Nick Novak, had an impressive day. Lambo finished with a touchback on a kickoff and drilled field goals from 53, 43 and the game-winner from 47 yards. Novak bounced a 33-yard extra point off of the upright. Novak appeared to suffer a lower leg injury on a made extra point attempt in the third quarter.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

The thing I am suprised no one has mentioned is the turnovers. Last year, we couldn't buy a turnover. This year, we have been completely outplayed, yet because of the turnovers, we have a winning record in preseason. I don't care if we win of lose the games, and I am pissed that we have not played that well, but the turnovers are a nice change. If we can get a few this season, we might be able to win the division.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The thing I am suprised no one has mentioned is the turnovers. Last year, we couldn't buy a turnover. This year, we have been completely outplayed, yet because of the turnovers, we have a winning record in preseason. I don't care if we win of lose the games, and I am pissed that we have not played that well, but the turnovers are a nice change. If we can get a few this season, we might be able to win the division.
        Very true, the turnover ration is the best predictor of winning/losing games. And yes, our first teams have been outplayed.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Anybody impressed with Chris Hairston's work last night? Not me. Just based on memory, he seemed to let at least two guys get past him.

And Tyreek Burwell was the LT during that last drive and did a good job, against backups of course.

Just looking for the best 8-9 OL.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Burwell struggled some before, both in the 1st game and last night. But I am always impressed when a rookie/young player pulls themselves up and then plays well down the stretch. Not ready to say much about his long range future. He has some mental toughness, but I am not sure he has the ability to last. He is a guy I want to watch for the last couple of games.

I wasn't keeping count of Hairston, so maybe 2 is how many got past. There were a lot of other plays were he didn't do well, even if he didn't get beat cleanly. I was not terribly impressed overall. He is an impressive athlete, but he is a guy who seems to do just enough to get by, and often gets beat by high effort players. He may be a lock with coach D because of his vet status and his experience, but I really hope not.

Barksdale is also a guy who is repeating lot of what I have seen from him in the past. He has great ability. He is as physically gifted as some of the top OT in the game. Sure wish he would play like it and learn to finish. It's almost like he stops midplay sometimes. He does just enough to get by, which is why PFF grades him so high. But the big difference between him and Fluker is Fluker tries to destroy his man, which is what often gets him in trouble. Barksdale is never going to dominate even a lesser opponent. Still, he is playing a a higher level then Fluker was last season.

The other guy who has been up and down is Miller the TE. Acee or Gelkien had said what a good blocker he was, but that isn't quite right. He is an OK blocker, who tries very hard and will get better as his technique and confidence grow. He is not special as a receiver, but he has caught some passes and can run some short and intermediate routes. The thing I like about him most is that while he has had some screw ups, he bounces back and has had some good ones to follow (I mean right after the bad ones).

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
              Very true, the turnover ration is the best predictor of winning/losing games. And yes, our first teams have been outplayed.
              The big thing has been the timing. We have been able to get points off of them, and there have been big changes in field position. I think to some degree our team is kinda struggle to find their identity. When they have something to rally around, a big play (4th down stop vs Dallas, turnover...) they play pretty well. But when they have nothing, they just sort of mill around. But the 1st team especially seems to find ways to screw up. Never in mass, just a guy here, or a guy there.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Frank Reich was interviewed on the radio this morning and said on offense they wanted two things - to run the ball against a good rush defense and to see how the protection held up against a blitz heavy team. He thought they failed miserably running and did very well against the blitz (they blitzed 35 out of 40 pass plays with no sacks allowed).

Comment

• Am I the only one who thought it was funny to see Phil Sims playing QB for the Cardinals?

Comment

• Wheels
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • San Diego
                    • Send PM

Haven't been able to watch the game (Thanks DirecTV and CBS8). What was the general impression of the game? I saw we had a lot of sacks in the first half. Were those well earned?

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

It's worth watching for the two really great hits. Otherwise, our first team sucks.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                        Am I the only one who thought it was funny to see Phil Sims playing QB for the Cardinals?
                        No less funny than seeing Kellen Winslow line up behind center for the Chargers.
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Poll: Who impressed you on D versus the Cardinals?
                          Ingram (64%)
                          Ricardo Mathews (0%)
                          Addae (6%)
                          Unrein (0%)
                          Emanuel (5%)
                          Philon (8%)
                          Dzubnar (11%)
                          Butler (3%)
                          Te'o (2%)
                          Wilson (0%)
                          Attaochu (0%)
                          Mueller (2%)

Dzubnar making his presence known.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X