• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Williams had a tackle agains the Cowboys on ST. Does Pettis even play on ST? That will make or break them getting on the roster.

Jones will get some plays at WR during the season because of his speed, but he isn't getting on the roster because of his WR play. He is making the roster based on ST only. The WR thing is a nice addition, but he isn't that good.

The WR thing is as much the issue that the OL is terrible. They are destroying people on the line on so many plays, only to have teammates completely whiff. It is not one guy, but the everyone needs to get a lot better or it is going to be a long season. We are not the kind of team that can afford to convert a lot of 3rd and really longs. We need that 1st down percentage (1st down plays that get 4 or more yards) to set up our play calling on 2nd and 3rd downs. The OL doesn't have to dominate, but not screwing up all over the place and putting us in obvious passing situations.

The fact that starting WR dropped everything in sight vs the Cards didn't help.

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
      Tyrell will make the team over Pettis. Pettis is nothing more than a possession receiver and we already have plenty of those. If anything Pettis' competition should be Inman. Tyrell is younger, bigger, faster, cheaper, and has shown potential as a gunner on special teams. That's the type of guy you carry as your 6th WR. Tyrell reminds me so much of VJ when he came into the league. Would avoid exposing that kind of talent to waivers.

Who knows maybe we can trade Inman or pettis to someone like Carolina or GB for a 7th or something
      I was thinking the same thing with Carolina being the primary trading partner.

Comment

• Wheels
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

Haven't seen much of the preseason, but feel like Inman has a lot of potential after seeing him play late last season. Would hate to give up on him so quickly.

Comment

• Geezbolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Sun Valley, ID
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          The WR thing is as much the issue that the OL is terrible. They are destroying people on the line on so many plays, only to have teammates completely whiff. It is not one guy, but the everyone needs to get a lot better or it is going to be a long season. We are not the kind of team that can afford to convert a lot of 3rd and really longs. We need that 1st down percentage (1st down plays that get 4 or more yards) to set up our play calling on 2nd and 3rd downs. The OL doesn't have to dominate, but not screwing up all over the place and putting us in obvious passing situations.
          I agree with you Steve. The OL is arguably the unit that needs to work in synch most and that takes reps. On the projected starting line this year there are only two of the five that started on opening day last year and Fluker was playing a different position. "If" they can stay healthy I expect them to to improve as the season goes on.

Concerning the WR's, as a Boise State fan I'd love to see Pettis make the team but not at the expense of risking losing T. Williams if they try to slip him through waivers to put him on the practice squad.

Comment

• CTrout
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I also think Williams makes it. Just to much potential there to dangle out on the ps.

Floyd, Allen, Johnson, Jones, Inman and Williams would be my guess.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Austin Pettis climbing Chargers' depth chart
              9h

Austin Pettis signed with San Diego in January after starting his career in St. Louis. Kim Klement/USA TODAY Sports

Eric D. Williams

SAN DIEGO -- After a workout with the San Diego Chargers at the end of the 2014 season, receiver Austin Pettis signed with the team in January without much fanfare.

A third-round selection by the Rams in 2011, Pettis totaled 107 receptions and nine touchdowns in 47 games for St. Louis.

The Rams released Pettis last October after restructuring his contract earlier in the year. He finished with 12 catches for 118 yards and a touchdown in five games for St. Louis last season, and is now fighting for a roster spot with the Chargers at a crowded position.

Pettis, a Boise State product, worked mostly from the slot in St. Louis, with 75 of his 109 receptions coming as a slot receiver. But with Stevie Johnson and Keenan Allen working inside, Pettis has predominantly been used on the perimeter.

Listed as No. 2 on the depth chart behind Johnson at slot receiver, through two preseason games, Pettis leads the Chargers with five receptions for 39 yards.

"For me, I’m just trying to go out there and be as consistent as possible and gain the coaches' trust, and that’s just day in and day out," Pettis said. "That’s been my goal since I got here."

At 6-foot-3 and 203 pounds, the Southern California native has made some "wow" plays in practice, particularly in the red zone. Pettis, 27, also found a familiar face in San Diego with reserve quarterback Kellen Clemens, who played with Pettis in St. Louis.

"The chemistry is there," Pettis said. "I haven’t got as many reps in a game as I would probably like with him. But I’m just trying to work my way up the depth chart and get some more reps with him."

One of the draws to San Diego for Pettis was playing with an experienced quarterback like Philip Rivers.

"That was one of the things when I first came out here -- it was nice to see how Philip does his daily routine, just being a pro," Pettis said. "When you see all the success he’s had on Sunday, then just to come here and see him on the practice field and inside the meeting -- just the way his brain works and how smart he is -- it definitely makes it a lot easier for the receiver to know that he’s always on the same page as you."

Rivers said he’s noticed the work Pettis has put in.

"Austin’s done a nice job," Rivers said. "I haven’t been in there with him much, but I think what stands out to me from him is you can tell he’s played in this league, and made plays in this league.

"He shows up on the tape when you’re going back through the film on one-on-ones and things. He’s a guy that’s physical and really has picked up the offense well."

Along with the opportunity to play alongside Rivers, Pettis said he’s adapted nicely to San Diego’s scheme on offense.

"Personally as a receiver I love it," Pettis said. "There’s a lot of pass game, so you can’t go wrong with that. They’ve got a lot of great concepts in.

"Honestly, I think the best part about it is all of the routes. You really get to run every single route. Some teams may like in-cutting routes, out-cutting routes or a lot of speed-type routes. But really, they incorporate everything in this offense and I think that’s great, especially with the receiving core having so many diverse guys."
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

WR Depth

Krasovic wrote an article this morning stating Tyrells case for making the team and I agree. If anything we should be looking to trade Pettis or Inman. I'm sure some WR hungry team would give up a future 7th for one of them. No way am I exposing Williams to waivers. We don't need both Inman and Pettis. They're basically the same receiver.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I would keep Pettis over Inman, has good NFL experience. And I'd keep Williams over Inman, higher ceiling. Inman odd man out.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    I would keep Pettis over Inman, has good NFL experience. And I'd keep Williams over Inman, higher ceiling. Inman odd man out.
                    So far, I'm leaning that way too. Let's see who steps up the next two games and takes that last spot or two.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

I think Inman is the better player right now, but it is not by a wide margin. He is just a possession Wr and he has had a lot of playing time in the CFL, meaning he is probably closer to reaching his potential. Williams has had very little playing time, seems to be developing fast, and has the potential to turn into a downfield threat, even if it is just because of his size (another plus). Pettis is another guy who has done OK, but I would like to see him do more before I am really sold on him.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Inman = Outman
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Now Eric Williams is on the tyrell bandwagon.

Tyrell Williams has gone from an unknown rookie free agent from Western Oregon to a darkhorse to make the San Diego Chargers at wide receiver.

Comment

Working...
                          X