Giants @ Chargers Pregame Discussion (wk 14)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
    Steve Largent was a guy who wasn't fast; but he didn't slow down while cutting, he almost seemed to be speeding up.

Just focusing on straight line speed is ludicrous in evaluating receivers.

More great receivers run 4.6 + 40s, than those that run 4.35 minus
    Cooper Kupp is having arguably the best season of any WR is one of those average speed guys

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
      Steve Largent was a guy who wasn't fast; but he didn't slow down while cutting, he almost seemed to be speeding up.

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Cooper Kupp is having arguably the best season of any WR is one of those average speed guys
      Quoted for truth, both of these. Our own KA is not a speed guy, but nobody can cover him one on one.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Speaking of fast, anyone remember Rob Brown of the Rams? He was a burner amongst burners. He was an Olympic gold medal winner in the 1984 games and then signed with the Rams. Not a great receiver but an amazing KO returner.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

We agree again.
          Palmer is not alone - Guyton also didn't attend the combine. He ran his 40 time at the UNT pro day.

His pro day average 4.39 speed roughly translates to a 4.45 combine speed: still good, but no where close to elite receiver speed.
          His ability to take the top off a defense is greatly overblown by some here.
          Guyton's speed is readily apparent. He runs by defenders regularly. Seriously, I thought you watched the Chargers games over the past two years. Guyton's 40 time has been reported at 4.35 from multiple sources. Guyton is much closer to Tyreek Hill than he is Palmer, Williams or Allen--just in a whole other class in terms of speed.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-15-2021, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post

Josh Palmer is the next DeAndre Hopkins.
            I wish this were true, but there is simply no evidence at all to support the notion that Palmer is going to be better than Keenan Allen (which he would be if he were as good as DeAndre Hopkins).

I mean maybe Trey Pipkins will turn into the next Ronnie Stanley, but I am not holding my breath on that one either.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghost View Post

Nobody knows if Josh Palmer is the next Keenan Allen or not, despite the general notion of that post, that Josh is the next Vincent Brown.

Prototypical height-weight and look at the body control. He looked like a silky smooth mother****** on Sunday and he's shown a little more each and every week. Let Palmer work the right side of the endzone on Sunday against the Chiefs 3rd corner, and Josh Palmer will have a breakout game.
              Seriously, Palmer did not demonstrate anything better than average WR skill on Sunday. He made the routine plays that were there for him to make, which is better than not making those plays, but not one of the plays he made is worth any kind of special mention.

If Allen, Williams or Guyton had made those plays, not one of you guys would have made a single comment about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

FFS, you keep missing the point.

I have been discussing Guyton as a complementary piece in our offense. That is why he has more value than Palmer. Palmer does nothing better than Allen or Williams. He adds nothing except reserve caliber depth.

Guyton, by contrast, gives us the pure speed deep threat that can take the top off of defenses as he has repeatedly demonstrated. That is something the team does not otherwise have. That is why Guyton is easily the more valuable WR for our team as it is presently constituted.

I am focusing on that trait because that is the trait that Guyton and only Guyton gives us.

Comment

• Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

If Herbert is my QB, I take a prime Moss over a prime Rice all day.
                  No kidding.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

Pretty sure Moss never won a Super Bowl and Rice even got a game MVP I believe.

I loved Moss as a Viking but his Raider years alone would make me take Rice if I had to choose one.

Moss might put up better explosive plays but Rice would be more consistent and contribute more to winning time.
                    Moss was the better deep ball WR, which fits better with Herbert's unique deep passing talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Quoted for truth, both of these. Our own KA is not a speed guy, but nobody can cover him one on one.
                      That's right. Our starting WRs are not very fast. That's kind of the point. Ask what is missing and then you will realize why Guyton is more valuable than Palmer.

What does Palmer do that is better than Allen or Williams? The word "nothing" comes to mind. Now ask the same question about what Guyton does that is better than Allen or Williams. Does that make the concept clear enough?

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

It’s so funny to keep reading about how lacking and ordinary Palmer is. Bottom line - he played 20 more snaps than Guyton did. He had 2 more catches. He was targeted more than any other receiver. That should tell you what the coaching staff thinks of both.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

If Herbert is my QB, I take a prime Moss over a prime Rice all day.
                          Not me. Give me the skill and work ethic of Jerry Rice 8 days a week

Comment

Working...
                          X