• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

OK who needs a refresher on LT's rookie season?
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Boltaction
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Sims in the Seahawks game said right at the beginning that Gordons problem is the play calling. If the Hawks are going to put nine guys on the line every time they see Gordon in the game Rivers is going to have to be allowed to throw the ball, thereby backing up the defenders so there will be some running lanes. The offense needs the element of surprise. Make the defense defend the whole field, is the way Coryell used to say.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

The run blocking has been terrible. No real attempt to get Gordon going on screens. They have him running mostly up the middle just to get him those types of runs. But twice ive noticed break downs when the holes are there where he would have had monster runs. 1st game his first run had massive daylight but Fluker whiffed bad and Gordon got hit. Seahawk game Floyd gets schooled and Gordon got taken down. He had a huge hole. Im just glad hes seeing the holes and running towards them.

He needs to relax. Hes rushing everything and stutter stepping to wait for a hole to develop. But they aren't. Hes better off just smashing through if nothings there. It leads to negative plays.

The run blocking needs to get monumentally better. Fluker has a ways to go. Better off calling outside runs and screens if the line continues to block this poorly on runs. Gordon being in is an obvious run play during the pre season. Everyone on defense knows we are trying to get him going. Not real hard to predict and defend.

Hes also gone up against 2 of the best run defending teams in the league. Hard to cut your teeth on teams like that especially when they know you are being developed in front of them. Ive also seen him make a lot of something out of nothing. Hes carried guys a few times.

He will be fine. Maybe we can get him 36 touches with a 3.1 yard per average in his first game.

You want to see holes watch the last Cowboys game and see what McFadden looks like with holes to run through.

Comment

• Geezbolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Sun Valley, ID
          • Send PM

I was listening to the radio feed while watching the game and Hardwick commented about the Bolts O-line being the biggest in the league and how with a line that size the running game gets better in the second half because they start wearing the opposing defense down. I guess what he was saying in a roundabout way was you won't see the impact of the running game in the preseason like you will in the regular season.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Grades for Seahawks-Chargers

The top takeaways and highest-graded players from the Seahawks-Chargers preseason game.
            Kevin Connaghan | 2 hours ago
            (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)

(AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)

Here are the top takeaways from Saturday night’s Seahawks-Chargers game, including the highest- graded players for each team:
            Seattle Seahawks:

— Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner (+0.9) had his best game of the preseason so far. He shared the team lead with five tackles and three run stops, all in the first quarter, giving him an impressive 20.0 run stop percentage for the game.

— Cornerback Richard Sherman (+1.1) saw his first action of the season, playing 41 snaps. It was a fairly uneventful outing for the corner — he made one tackle on a five-yard completion to Danny Woodhead in the flat, tackled Melvin Gordon on a two-yard run and helped tackle Jacoby Jones on a punt return.

— Quarterback Russell Wilson (-4.2) wasn’t at his sharpest in this outing. He was off-target with a few throws, finishing the game with a 57.1 accuracy percentage and came close to turning the ball over twice. The first potential turnover came when he overthrew Jimmy Graham and was fortunate that Brandon Flowers could make the catch. The second was on a deep ball to Kevin Smith in double coverage, safety Adrian Phillips undercut the receiver but couldn’t hold onto the ball.

Top 5 graded players:

DE Greg Scruggs (+3.2)

LB Brock Coyle (+3.2)

DT Jordan Hill (+2.7)

CB Tharold Simon (+2.6)

P Jon Ryan (+2.3)
            San Diego Chargers:

— It wasn’t a standout performance by any measure, but quarterback Philip Rivers (-0.2) looked sharp prior to leaving the game at the half. His 76.5 accuracy percentage was solid and he was able to get the ball out fast, taking an average of just 2.15 seconds with the ball.

— There were signs that Rivers is quickly developing good chemistry with wide receiver Steve Johnson (+0.8). Johnson led the team with six targets, hauling in all four catchable balls for 63 yards. His average of 3.32 yards per route run made him the most productive wide out in the game.

— Third-year cornerback Steve Williams is fighting to be the team’s third corner, and did his chances no harm with this display. Williams allowed just one completion from four passes into his coverage, but did get hit with a pass interference call when wrong footed by Jermain Kearse. His best moment came on the very next play, when Williams prevented a sideline catch by Kearse by forcing him out of bounds before he could get his feet down.

Top 5 graded players:

OLB Ryan Mueller (+3.9)

OLB Cordarro Law (+2.7)

CB Jimmy Wilson (+1.5)

DT Damion Square (+1.3)

S Adrian Phillips (+1.3)
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• zoom
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Hardwick breaks down Gordon's performance.

Comment

• Wheels
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

I finally got to see the game DVR'd from NFL network replay. Anyhow, I was expecting Gordon to suck based on what I heard and his stats, but it wasn't so bad. He showed flashes, made a few good runs that got called back which would've made his average more respectable. Not great, but not as bad as was portrayed. Anyhow, the critics need to calm the hell down, he's a rookie playing in preseason with an O-line that has only one starter from the previous season in his regular spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                  I finally got to see the game DVR'd from NFL network replay. Anyhow, I was expecting Gordon to suck based on what I heard and his stats, but it wasn't so bad. He showed flashes, made a few good runs that got called back which would've made his average more respectable. Not great, but not as bad as was portrayed. Anyhow, the critics need to calm the hell down, he's a rookie playing in preseason with an O-line that has only one starter from the previous season in his regular spot.
                  I agree. Talk to me after next season to see how I feel about him.

Comment

• floydefisher
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • siberiacuse, ny
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                    Exactly what I feared is coming true.

This is what happens when you take a gamble to trade up in the first round....Gordon is now under the biggest microscope of his life. And I admit it's a little unfair, but it is what it is.

On the plus side, the defense might be showing signs of a major turnaround form last year.....go ahead and ding me, because if it's true, I'll be happy to eat the crow.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I think it is comical that some are calling him a bust and the season hasn't started yet. A lot of "experts" say it takes a minimum of 3 years to tell if a pick pans out....not here. hell 20 carries and we got ya pegged

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

http://socalsoftservesports.blogspot.com/ Nice Gordon article.
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Gordon needs to sit down and watch Ladanians rookie preseason....he might just learn something.
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                          X