Chiefs @ Chargers Pregame Discussion (wk 15)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I agree. And I have always thought, from Day One, that this is a 9/10-win team. Nothing has changed in my mind. Still, as SERIOUS contenders go, this team is still a few players away from going to the SB. I don't think we'd beat NE, KC, or TN with our current roster. Just MHO.
    Let's just play the sched. We should win @ Hou and @ LV. Vs KC & Den in LA are pushes IMO. We should have 11, might have 12 wins, AFCW Champs.
    KC is @ Cincy, @ Den in Jan. Ws in both are unlikely. At LAC & vs Pit are pushes. They aren't a shoo-in.
    NE is close to a lock #1 seed. Who we get in the playoffs isn't as important as Chargers health. We have a good team with an elite young QB playing at the top of his game. That's an advantage. If our OL & receivers are in good shape, the D leaders also, we'll compete with anyone.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Here’s Popper’s final thoughts on this past game. Funny enough the first seven are about this upcoming game lol.

1. Left tackle Rashawn Slater, who should be in the conversation for offensive rookie of the year and has played at an All-Pro level through his first 13 NFL games, was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list Monday. He tested positive Monday morning, according to coach Brandon Staley. Vaccinated players are only required to test weekly, and the Chargers conduct those tests every Monday morning. As a vaccinated player, Slater still has a chance to play Thursday night if he receives two negative tests 24 hours apart. But he will in all likelihood miss this crucial division matchup. This is a massive blow for the Chargers. Slater has been a force on their left edge both as a pass protector and run blocker, and the team does not have much depth behind him.

2. The situation remains fluid — not just for Slater, but for the team as a whole. Wide receiver Keenan Allen, who is vaccinated, tested positive last Monday morning and was placed on the COVID-19 list. The league then conducted its tracing investigation and determined that Mike Williams and Chris Harris Jr., who are both unvaccinated, were high-risk close contacts. They were placed on the COVID-19 list the following Wednesday. A similar scenario could play out this week. Allen is eligible to be activated off the COVID-19 list this Wednesday ahead of the Chiefs game, unless he receives two negatives 24 hours apart. In that case, he could be activated Tuesday.

3. How will the Chargers replace Slater? That is the primary question as the Chargers prepare for the Chiefs, who rank third in defensive expected points added per play since Week 8, according to TruMedia. Kansas City has two potent edge rushers in Frank Clark and trade deadline acquisition Melvin Ingram. The pass protection on the edges will be paramount. Based on Staley’s comments Monday afternoon, my expectation is that Trey Pipkinswill start at left tackle. Left guard Matt Feilerhas experience at tackle, but Staley said kicking Feiler out is a “later contingency.” Rookie Brenden Jaimes started more than 30 games at left tackle at Nebraska, but Staley said of Jaimes: “Our intentions are for him to play guard, and then he would be an emergency option at tackle.” Right guard Michael Schofield has also played tackle in his NFL career, including 87 snaps at left tackle last season for the Panthers. But my sense is Pipkins will get the call. The Chargers have trended toward moving as few pieces around as possible when adjusting their offensive line because of injuries. Shifting Schofield to left tackle and inserting either Jaimes or Senio Kelemete at guard would mean two different starters, compared to only one if Pipkins starts at left tackle.

4. Austin Ekeler left Sunday’s game in the third quarter after spraining his ankle. Staley said after the game that Ekeler could have returned if the game was close. On Monday, Staley said Ekeler will be at practice Tuesday. The Chargers are holding two walkthroughs on Tuesday, then one walkthrough and one light practice Wednesday. “Just soreness and a little bit of swelling,” Staley said of Ekeler, “but nothing major.”

5. Derwin James missed Sunday’s game with a hamstring injury that popped up Friday after practice. James “reported better today than he was yesterday, and he’s day-to-day,” Staley said Monday.

6. Linval Joseph only played nine snaps in Sunday’s game. Eight of them came in the first quarter. Staley said this was “a function of how the game went.” The Chargers built an early lead and played more four-man fronts and sub-packages in the second half to defend the Giants’ passing attack as New York tried to get back in the game. Joseph was incorporated into the game plan in more of the five-man-front packages. The blowout also gave Staley the opportunity to rest Joseph, who was playing for the first time since Week 10, with the quick turnaround. “He came out the game healthy,” Staley said.

7. The stakes in this game against the Chiefs are enormous. This matchup could very well decide the division. On one hand, it is fantastic that these teams in this moment are playing on national television. On the other hand, it really is a shame that they are playing on a Thursday night with only three days to recover after both played Sunday. Putting my general thoughts on Thursday night games aside — CliffNotes version: they are dumb and dangerous — these players, specifically for this game, deserve to be as healthy as they can be. They deserve to get a full week of rest for a game of this magnitude. The NFL should want the product to be as good as possible, and, even further, the NFL should want this hotly contested division to be decided with both these teams at full strength. The schedule is the schedule, so there is nothing to be done. But this underscores how bad Thursday night games are — not just for player safety, but also because of how they can impact seasons and playoff races. Money talks.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Memo to Staley, it’s an emergency. Don’t let Pipkins see the field, start Jaimes at OT. Not kidding.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by tges58 View Post

I never said KC hasn't had their problems, but you are the one talking about who they've beaten. They started the season with FIVE new starters on th OL and none of them were on the team last year. Three of them are rookies. Defensively they were down pass rushers Chris Jones and Frank Clark, and a starting CB. Now they're healthy and playing well. It's not a fluke. They finished the regular season last year with the 7th ranked scoring defense.

You are acting like the Chargers are a superior team to KC, which is totally delusional, and I've pointed out that you haven't beaten anyone but an undermanned KC team.

Cincy? Give me a break, they are barely above.500.

You can talk shit all you want but maybe you ought to let th Chargers actually win something before you cop that arrogant attitude.
          Lol we can't claim Cinci who was 7-4 when we played them but you beat Green Bay without Aaron Rodgers?

Talk all you want. We are 1-0 against KC and at worst we go 1-1. KC isn't beating great teams either. We should be tied right now. We had 2 TDs against Dallas called back on bad calls.

No worries though, we will just beat KC again .....even if we have 3 starting OL out this time....IF Slater can't play.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-13-2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

ESPN has an article saying 37 players tested positive today ( a high for the season). Monday is the day they test vaccinated players, unvaccinated get tested daily. Falcons, Lions, Vikings, Bears and Texans are under enhanced protocols which means daily testing for everyone. It’s like it’s respiratory virus season!!!

Maybel Slater has had this a couple of days and can test negative tomorrow
            I work as a teacher. We see an uptick in infections a week or so after a holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas). People gather and get complacent.
            We saw an uptick recently (right after Thanksgiving). I'm guessing this was the culprit.
            With Christmas and Omnicrom on the horizon, I hope the organization commit to encouraging players to act responsibly... in and outside the facilities.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

It’s the irony of ironies that the most important game of the season, the game for the division, is coming down to whether or not Pipkins can put a decent game together.

Mr. Pipkins, sir, the world is watching. This game determines your future, as well as the team’s.
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol we can't claim Cinci who was 7-4 when we played them but you beat a Aaron Rodgers less team?

Talk all you want. We are 1-0 against KC and at worst we go 1-1. KC isn't beating great teams either. We should be tied right now. We had 2 TDs against Dallas called back on bad calls.

No worries though, we will just beat KC again .....even if we have 3 starting OL out this time....IF Slater can't play.
                Reading comprehension seems to be a common problem on here. Show me where I bragged about who KC has beaten. You brag about beating Cincy(LMAO) when they've lost 4 of their last,six.

The point that I'm making, which obviously gone over a couple of posters heads. It's a shame because most of the posters here seem pretty decent. That point is when you live In a glass house you shouldn throw stones.

To the intelligent posters on here let's hope for a good game with no injuries.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  Memo to Staley, it’s an emergency. Don’t let Pipkins see the field, start Jaimes at OT. Not kidding.
                  Jaimes can’t seem to break into the lineup as a guard. Is it really a good idea to have him at LT after having him work so much on the IOL?

Comment

• Classic
                    Hall Of Fame
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Send PM

I don't KC rolling the Raiders is all that impressive but being on 6 game win streak is. It sucks we're having all this covid issues right around when we're beginning to play well. I would imagine Staley understands that the KC we saw in Week 4 is alot different then the current one. Still if we can get all out guys healthy and force them to dink on dunk us down the field we can capitalize on a Mahomes turnover. On offense Herbert and company are gonna have to nothing short than perfect, this isn't the Giants and we need to come out early with a strong performance. We win this game and I think most of nation starts recognizing us a real threat.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol we can't claim Cinci who was 7-4 when we played them but you beat Green Bay without Aaron Rodgers?

Chefs also beat Cowboys without Tyrone Smith and Connor Williams (9 points).

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by tges58 View Post

Reading comprehension seems to be a common problem on here. Show me where I bragged about who KC has beaten. You brag about beating Cincy(LMAO) when they've lost 4 of their last,six.

The point that I'm making, which obviously gone over a couple of posters heads. It's a shame because most of the posters here seem pretty decent. That point is when you live In a glass house you shouldn throw stones.

To the intelligent posters on here let's hope for a good game with no injuries.
                        Not bragging, but they were 7-4 at that time and part of that streak is a loss to us after they had a big win against Pittsburgh. Just sayin. Lots of parity going on this year.

So we are in the same boat. I agree. Hope to see a good game but i hope we come out in top again.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Chefs also beat Cowboys without Tyrone Smith and Connor Williams (9 points).
                          Yeah,....and now our OL may be missing a third starter but we can do it.

Comment

Working...
                          X