• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Based on those name, I would pay Godwin 18m over Mike Williams for 15m.

The Chark name is interesting - as you are right, with a better QB, he might produce better number. I think with WR the Chargers can be selective and not feel they have to do anything too quickly with MW81
    Chark is hurt often, only played up to 15 games 1 time. Only 4 this year, 12.5 last year with listed back,chest,rib and shin injuries. 11 rookie year. Pass.

Funny how some still say MW is hurt too often when he really isn't but we add Chark to our FA WR list? MW hasn't missed any this year since he don't just jump for 50-50 balls and land hard every week.

NOw if we don't resign MW and he signs elsewhere, I'd take Godwin. He did just tore his ACL last week though.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-23-2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

I doubt he sandbagged for a few years, but here is my take on MW: it is coming down to economics with the salary cap, regardless of the prior years he had, and even this year. we need a better defense and his new contract value could go towards that defense. i think it is less about him and more about how Palmer and Guyton look as replacements for his playing time (or a possible draft pick to help replace him). if some team wants to overpay him based on his highlight film, he will be too expensive for our economics. i think it is questionable if he has been consistent enough THIS YEAR to overpay him at the expense of our defense. he has had less than 5 catches in half of our games this year (7 games) and 3 or fewer catches in 5 of our 14 games (3 catches against KC in our biggest game in years).

however, when he makes a big play, he does look like a definite keeper, so our front office better think about this carefully.

I wasn't really suggesting "sand bagging". Just has he turned up his effort consciously? I don't know but it is a HUGE decision coming up.

Comment

• Classic
        Hall Of Fame
        • Dec 2014
        • Send PM

I usually love paying everyone but MikeDub can be a hit and miss for some weeks and then show up big. I would offer him a contract no doubt but I would much rather help our helpless defense and continue to build our OL.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
          I usually love paying everyone but MikeDub can be a hit and miss for some weeks and then show up big. I would offer him a contract no doubt but I would much rather help our helpless defense and continue to build our OL.
          Most top receivers are 'hit or miss', meaning they have big games every other week.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Chark is hurt often, only played up to 15 games 1 time. Only 4 this year, 12.5 last year with listed back,chest,rib and shin injuries. 11 rookie year. Pass.

Funny how some still say MW is hurt too often when he really isn't but we add Chark to our FA WR list? MW hasn't missed any this year since he don't just jump for 50-50 balls and land hard every week.

NOw if we don't resign MW and he signs elsewhere, I'd take Godwin. He did just tore his ACL last week though.
            Chark played in 15 games in 2019 and 13 games in 2020. Every WR gets banged up and misses games. It happens. Keenan Allen missed a season and a half earlier in his career. He missed two games last season.

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Williams clearly has a decent rapport with Herbert. Furthermore, he's stayed fairly healthy. I think they should try to bring him back, but on a reasonable deal. I can live with 15M a year, but I'd be opposed to 20M.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Consistency in offensive personnel and scheme should be prioritized for Herbert.
                Imo prime resources in general should go to support Herbert's offense
                while Staley is tasked to use what is left to continue building his defense.
                I think this is the smartest strategy considering Staley's background as a defensive guru and our QB with unlimited potential to take advantage of modern rules to try and outscore everyone.
                Herbert's ability with Staley's aggression is a match
                the D will also benefit from teams throwing too much in an attempt to keep up.
                warpath coming in 2022
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                  I would make Mike Will a fair offer, but not crazy bank...for FA, invest heavily in D-line, CB, RT and a RB...Remember, if Mike Will takes a deal elsewhere, we probably get a 4th round comp pick...not bad...

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I would make Mike Will a fair offer, but not crazy bank...for FA, invest heavily in D-line, CB, RT and a RB...Remember, if Mike Will takes a deal elsewhere, we probably get a 4th round comp pick...not bad...
                    A good place to grab MW's replacement.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Unless the Chargers sign a player in free agency to offset Mike Williams contract

Granted with Justin Jones, Uchenna, Kyzir and Williams as free agents - the Chargers could win the comp pick game.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                        Consistency in offensive personnel and scheme should be prioritized for Herbert.
                        Imo prime resources in general should go to support Herbert's offense
                        while Staley is tasked to use what is left to continue building his defense.
                        I think this is the smartest strategy considering Staley's background as a defensive guru and our QB with unlimited potential to take advantage of modern rules to try and outscore everyone.
                        Herbert's ability with Staley's aggression is a match
                        the D will also benefit from teams throwing too much in an attempt to keep up.
                        warpath coming in 2022
                        What is needed on O?
                        RT and a few backups for the offensive line;
                        an rb to complement Ekeler;
                        speed at wide receiver?

There really isn't much on that side of the ball.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

A good place to grab MW's replacement.
                          Any 4rth round pick starts out as a backup, unless you hit the jackpot.
                          Most will not end up as starters.

Comment

Working...
                          X