• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Remember when he said the best football team is when you have 5 black men at OL and a white QB ?

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      Pretty much retired......
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
      • Send PM

I hated his guts in the 70's and respected him his entire career. Godspeed good Sir.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

I learned more about NFL football from John Madden than anyone else

RIP legend

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

When John Madden coached the raiders, they were the dirtiest team in the league. Madden coached them that way. You guys that praise him either aren't old enough to know that or you have forgotten. He was a fun announcer but he was a dirty, nasty coach.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
            Remember when he said the best football team is when you have 5 black men at OL and a white QB ?
            No, but it doesn't surprise me.
            Perhaps in context it wouldn't sound crass.

Everyone liked him....he wasn't a saint.
            He represented the old non blow dried hair era of the league: being spontaneous, interesting and sometimes crude with off the cuff remarks;
            although, I can't really remember anything controversial or crude about him...which is both good and bad.

Most of these guys now a days just provide noise.
            They flee controversy like the plague.

Could you imagine Madden trying to cover for the league by attributing Parham's tremors as a reaction to the cold?

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
              When John Madden coached the raiders, they were the dirtiest team in the league. Madden coached them that way. You guys that praise him either aren't old enough to know that or you have forgotten. He was a fun announcer but he was a dirty, nasty coach.
              A certain part of me wouldn't mind if Staley was a dirty, nasty coach.
              I wonder if Madden was affected by the Stingley paralysis....he got out of coaching early.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I wonder if Madden was affected by the Stingley paralysis....he got out of coaching early.
                The Documentary on him that aired XMas day explains why. It airs again today.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  I can't disagree. Football in the 60's and 70's was brutal, and the Raiders were true to their 'branding'. Other teams were doing the same crap, not just as blatant as the Raiders. But of course, we know that the real coach of the Raiders then was Al Davis.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I was watching that game when it happened. I was a big Steve Grogan fan. Jack Tatum and Lester Hayes were thugs.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I can't disagree. Football in the 60's and 70's was brutal, and the Raiders were true to their 'branding'. Other teams were doing the same crap, not just as blatant as the Raiders. But of course, we know that the real coach of the Raiders then was Al Davis.
                      This is an AFL story. I heard Steve Sabol tell it.

Clark Hunt had a 16mm AFL game film that he kept hidden, that he showed to no one. It was the Boston Patriots and another team, in Boston. In the 4th quarter, a guy came onto the field in a trench coat and lined up opposite a WR in press coverage, so, 12 men on the field. The referees missed it and the ball was snapped, and the guy in the trench coat, defended the pass and ran back into the crowd.

The play stood.

Had that film gotten out, the two leagues would never have merged when they did.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

This is an AFL story. I heard Steve Sabol tell it.

Clark Hunt had a 16mm AFL game film that he kept hidden, that he showed to no one. It was the Boston Patriots and another team, in Boston. In the 4th quarter, a guy came onto the field in a trench coat and lined up opposite a WR in press coverage, so, 12 men on the field. The referees missed it and the ball was snapped, and the guy in the trench coat, defended the pass and ran back into the crowd.

The play stood.

Had that film gotten out, the two leagues would never have merged when they did.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                          Patriots huh?

Would be nice if the Charger secondary flowed to the football like that fan.

Comment

Working...
                          X