• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Very nice. Same. Is that sourdough?
    It could be sourdough, but we usually just go regular. It's a no-knead recipe:

This easy no-knead Dutch oven bread has only 4 ingredients: flour, yeast, salt and water. Perfect for beginner bread bakers.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Speaking of eating entire pizzas, this reminds me of an interview with King Dunlap. The reporter asked King what his favorite food was. King replied, "pizza." The reporter then asked, "how many slices can you eat in one sitting?" King: "Slices?" Turns out Dunlap could put away about a large pizza and a half in one sitting...
      Lowell George ate an entire large pizza by himself, and was dead less than 24 hours later. Of course, a speedball had something to do with it, too.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

It could be sourdough, but we usually just go regular. It's a no-knead recipe:

This easy no-knead Dutch oven bread has only 4 ingredients: flour, yeast, salt and water. Perfect for beginner bread bakers.
        I've made this same bread a few times. Except I use bread flour and a little more flour/water and one packet of yeast. I haven't made it in awhile, because I want to get some sourdough starter.

Comment

• Bolts318
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Lowell George
          He choked on a dixie chicken. Hard to believe they are still around. Double bill of Hot Tuna and Little Feat coming to Humphreys in San Diego this summer. No one under 72 need apply.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Poppers answer some questions related to the game.

The Chargers (9-7) head to Las Vegas this weekend to take on the Raiders (9-7) at Allegiant Stadium.

“Sunday Night Football.” The final game of the NFL regular season. The whole football world will be watching. The winner goes to the playoffs. And if there is a tie, well, we will get into that in a second.

Some injury news before we get to your questions.

The Chargers are as healthy as they have been all season. They did not have a single player on the reserve/COVID-19 list — active roster or practice squad — as of Friday afternoon. The only player ruled out for Sunday’s game is defensive lineman Joe Gaziano, who suffered an ankle injury in last week’s win over the Broncos. Linebacker Drue Tranquill, who missed the Denver game, is officially questionable with his ankle injury, but coach Brandon Staley said Friday that he anticipates Tranquill playing in the game. Tranquill was a full participant in Friday’s practice.

In addition, it sounds like there is a strong possibility edge rusher Kyler Fackrell (knee) will be activated off injured reserve Saturday. Fackrell has not played since Week 13. He was designated for return last week. Safety Mark Webb, who has been out since Week 9, was also designated for return last week, but Staley said Fackrell is “more likely” to return for Sunday than Webb.

Four Raiders players are questionable for Sunday: tight end Darren Waller (knee), RB Josh Jacobs (ribs), CB Casey Hayward (ankle) and DT Johnathan Hankins (back). Hayward was added to the injury report Friday. Waller has not played since Week 12 and was limited in practice all week. Jacobs, too, was limited in all three practices.

That might have been our shortest injury recap of the season so far. Fitting, considering the magnitude of this game.

You ask. I answer.

It’s the mailbag.

Is there a realistic scenario where both teams can agree to a tie so both could get a playoff berth? Is that allowed? — @rez2405

No, that is not allowed.

As has been detailed ad nauseam this week, there is a scenario in which the Chargers and Raiders both make the postseason with a tie. The Colts would have to lose to the Jaguars in Jacksonville earlier on Sunday.

The Chargers and Raiders, however, could not come to some agreement to purposefully play to a tie. All these hypotheticals of the Chargers and Raiders kneeling and punting for 60 minutes are not realistic. The NFL has sweeping rules to prevent this type of collusion among teams.

Rule 17.1.10 of the NFL’s official rulebook regards “Commissioner Authority,” and it states: “The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.”

If the Chargers and Raiders collude to tie, that would obviously be a gross violation of the game’s integrity, which the league takes very seriously, and for good reason. This could fall under “club action … outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that … has a major effect on the result of the game.”

The rulebook gives Roger Goodell absolute authority to take whatever measures he deems fit if such a violation occurs. That is, of course, not a risk either team would even consider taking.

There are some realistic tie scenarios worth discussing, though. The Chargers get into the playoffs with a tie regardless of what happens in the early slate. And this could definitely end up impacting Staley’s strategy and decision-making late in the game, particularly if the game goes to overtime.

Here’s one scenario: The game goes to overtime. The Raiders get the ball first and convert a field goal to go up three points. The Chargers get the ball back with five minutes left. They drive all the way down the field and end up with a fourth-and-goal from the Raiders’ 2-yard line with 20 seconds remaining.

In a normal regular-season game, I am certain Staley would go for it in this situation and play to win the game. But if this happens Sunday night, he has to kick the 20-yard field goal because a tie gets the Chargers into the playoffs. Over the last 10 seasons, kickers are 304-of-305 on field goals of 20 yards or less, according to Sportradar. That is a 99.7 percent chance of making the postseason for the Chargers versus what would be, at best, around a 60-65 percent chance if they went for it.

Here is another scenario: The game goes to overtime. The Chargers get the ball first and punt. The Raiders take over and punt, as well. The Chargers’ next possession starts at their own 18-yard line with less than two minutes remaining.

In a normal regular-season game, the Chargers would be aggressively pushing for a score to win the game. But I do not think that would happen if this scenario plays out Sunday night. The Chargers should operate like they have a lead and attempt to run the clock out. Let’s say the Raiders have both of their overtime timeouts in this hypothetical. The Chargers run on first down. Timeout. The Chargers run on second down. Timeout. On third down, they convert. The Raiders are out of timeouts. The Chargers would then simply have to kneel out the rest of the clock to secure the tie and a postseason berth.

“I guess that is a real circumstance,” Staley said when posed with this specific scenario Friday. “It potentially could happen. We’ll be evaluating that space and time if and when the time comes. But again, I think what I’ve always tried to say when it comes to decision-making like that is that we’re going to do what’s best for our team. And if that’s what’s best for our team, then that’s what we’re going to do. And I think scenarios like that are what makes the game so special, is that there’s a lot that can happen. That’s why the NFL is amazing. So we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it, and hopefully we’ll be well prepared for it.”

With how well he has improved throughout the season to this past game, will Trey Pipkinsstart at RT this Sunday against the Raiders even with Storm Norton coming back from COVID? — @MonadoMando

Trey Pipkins’ development this season — which I wrote about in a film review after the Chiefsgame and touched on further in my final thoughts earlier this week — has been really remarkable. He looks like a different player. More importantly, he looks like a genuinely capable professional offensive tackle. And as he showed against the Broncos, he is equally as capable at right tackle as he is at left tackle.

Despite that, Storm Norton — who was not well enough to play against the Broncos last week after his bout with COVID-19 — remains the starter at right tackle. Pipkins will serve as the swing tackle if something happens to either Norton or left tackle Rashawn Slater. The value of that role should not be diminished. The Chargers can be comfortable bringing a backup tackle into the game if necessary. That has not been the case for them in a long, long time.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
              This game has a playoff vibe to it. And on primetime? Epic. Gonna be really happy or pissed come Sunday night. Because if we lose my guess is it will be the same foot shooting we love to do.

I expect us to win though. I believe we will. I will mojo the crap out of this game. All the superstitions coming into play.

Please dont get outpassioned by the Raiders. Please show more heart. More fire. None of this soft bs. Lets fucking kill these guys. Literally try and hurt them.

Every player on this defense should be watching film of Derwin tackling.
              We are gonna smoke the Raiders. I’m getting a 2008 season ending thrashing of the Broncos vibe. Fuck em

Comment

• Fleet 1
                Fleet 1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha nice
            • Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              Despite that, Storm Norton — who was not well enough to play against the Broncos last week after his bout with COVID-19 — remains the starter at right tackle. Pipkins will serve as the swing tackle if something happens to either Norton or left tackle Rashawn Slater.
              If Storm struggles in this game I could see them giving Pipkins playing time at RT. There is too much at stake.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                We are gonna smoke the Raiders. I’m getting a 2008 season ending thrashing of the Broncos vibe. Fuck em
                I remember that game. Good times.

Comment

• Parcells
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I expect us to win though. I believe we will. I will mojo the crap out of this game. All the superstitions coming into play.

Please dont get outpassioned by the Raiders. Please show more heart. More fire. None of this soft bs. Lets fucking kill these guys. Literally try and hurt them.
                  I’m here in Vegas and will be at the game. I brought two Cowboys fans and Jets fan, but they’ll all be at the game and supporting the Chargers. I think I might even get the Cowboys to wear Chargers jersey. I brought extra jerseys just in case.

And speaking of superstitions…I’m breaking out the commemorative old school AFL road (white) Rivers jersey. Haven’t worn this bad boy in a long time. And the last time I wore it to a Chargers game was when we smoked the Cowboys in Arlington on Thanksgiving 2017.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    Fleet 1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right on brother. Lets Go!!!!!
                • Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

This game has a playoff vibe to it. And on primetime? Epic. Gonna be really happy or pissed come Sunday night. Because if we lose my guess is it will be the same foot shooting we love to do.

Every player on this defense should be watching film of Derwin tackling.
                  That’s so true. The Bolts should come into this game intent on beating the Raiders up. It’s gonna be a physical game. I have no doubt that the Raiders will come with that attitude.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Lowell George ate an entire large pizza by himself, and was dead less than 24 hours later. Of course, a speedball had something to do with it, too.
                    Lowell is missed.

(Crickets) Shut up. (Crickets) Shut up.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Send PM

Love the way Derwin wraps up the legs and takes the opposing player down...textbook...
                      Derwin makes tackling look easy.

Comment

Working...
                      X