First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
    I think you are all wrong,,it didn't matter the play was blown dead
    The "blown dead" part was what I thought the mistake was. But, if the rule hinges on any part of the forearm touching the ground, then I guess the call was right.

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think you are all wrong,,it didn't matter the play was blown dead
      That was the explanation. Once the whistle blows everything that develops afterwards can't be reviewed. It's as if it never happened.

Comment

• zoom
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Buck View Post
        Literally just watched that play. They didn't blow the whistle early, but Abdullah recovered it.
        Thank you. I stated this is the GDT. Lot's of folks wanted the challenge, but the Lions recovered it. It was a fumble, just they got it.

I also don't think there was evidence to overturn the cal on Gordon's run. tough to tell if his elbow didn't touch and definitely not enough to overturn, IMO.

Comment

• Asela
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2014
          • Send PM

...they also blew the whistle when Abdullah fumbled , but yeah pretty good game for the zebras
          I thought Detroit recovered the Abdullah fumble anyways. Looked like Gordon's wrist and maybe part of the forearm touched to me. I thought only hands and feet could legally touch, I think if a wrist touches, you're down.

We got lucky imho, when Melvin hit Stafford, his right arm followed into Staffords helmet slightly. I've seen that called a hit to the head (for a QB) before, and if so, would've negated the INT.

Comment

• Iowachargers
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Dow City, Iowa
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Asela View Post
            . I've seen that called a hit to the head (for a QB) before, and if so, would've negated the INT.
            It wasn't Brady or P. Manning, but I see what you mean.

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Iowachargers View Post
              It wasn't Brady or P. Manning, but I see what you mean.
              Yep, I was thinking the same thing. It's a shame when great hits happens on the QB, nowadays many of us watching are waiting for the yellow laundry to negate it..
              Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Asela View Post
                I thought Detroit recovered the Abdullah fumble anyways. Looked like Gordon's wrist and maybe part of the forearm touched to me. I thought only hands and feet could legally touch, I think if a wrist touches, you're down.

We got lucky imho, when Melvin hit Stafford, his right arm followed into Staffords helmet slightly. I've seen that called a hit to the head (for a QB) before, and if so, would've negated the INT.
                That absolutely was a shot to the head and I am shocked it wasn't called.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Agreed he was down, but it showed some really good balance and athleticism.

Comment

• Faded blues
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    No. His arms were going for the ball. His arm hit the elbow first.

Comment

• Asela
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2014
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
                      No. His arms were going for the ball. His arm hit the elbow first.
                      My understanding is if he follows through and he hits the QB helmet or face mask that's a Penalty for blow to the head, regardless if he hits the elbow or other body part first. I think, only if you hit the ball first, you are allowed to follow through but that's just a guess on what I've seen allowed (unflagged).

Either way that play was the turning point in the game and if Melvin got flagged on it, the result of the game might've been different, so I feel we got lucky there.

I remember years ago, Seau had a clean hit on Montana and was flagged. I think the commentator said something to the effect, you couldn't sneeze on Montana without getting flagged
                      Last edited by Asela; 09-14-2015, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

I've seen those plays called before too, but I thought because he got the ball first he was ok. Either way, flagging that would be BS regardless of who the QB was.
                        sigpic

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Based on how the refs have called it in the past I agree that they normally would've called it. But in the big scheme he barely touched the helmet. Maybe the refs wanted to just let them play. Now that I think about it, just based on watching Red Zone and the Chargers game yesterday, I don't recall a whole lot of penalties being called, maybe The League is having the refs hold back? I dunno, it will be interesting to keep track I guess.

Comment

Working...
                          X