• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t know about being humbled. Everything I read said he was already a humble guy. The problem is that he was an extremely raw prospect who should have been red shirted his first year but then end up playing and developing bad habits. He went through two more different OL coaches after his rookie season, including a shortened offseason in 2020. Frankly, I’m surprised he looks this good despite the team’s best efforts to ruin him. Glad Staley took the long view on him and it’s slowly paying off. Right now, he still needs more consistent games under his belt with less help to see if he has a future as a starter. Otherwise, he’s decent depth at the moment.
    He’s playing better than a lot of starting OTs in the league. Just sayin’.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

I don’t know about being humbled. Everything I read said he was already a humble guy. The problem is that he was an extremely raw prospect who should have been red shirted his first year but then end up playing and developing bad habits. He went through two more different OL coaches after his rookie season, including a shortened offseason in 2020. Frankly, I’m surprised he looks this good despite the team’s best efforts to ruin him. Glad Staley took the long view on him and it’s slowly paying off. Right now, he still needs more consistent games under his belt with less help to see if he has a future as a starter. Otherwise, he’s decent depth at the moment.
      Staley definitely took the long view on Pipkins because if he hadn't then Pipkins would have been cut a long time ago. I agree with your take. And I think the genius of Staley is his understanding of the psychological. When Staley repeatedly says he didn't coach the team up sufficiently after losses on game-day he's really making it easier for younger players to finally relent to coaching by shifting the emphasis from a player doing wrong to something the coaches aren't doing. That frees the player up from his ego (defensiveness) and stagnation. Very smart.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

He’s playing better than a lot of starting OTs in the league. Just sayin’.
        2 games though. With occasional TE and RB help. The Denver game is also misleading because their best pass rushers were out. We need a bigger sample size. Remember that Tevaughn Campbell also looked good in spurts this year.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

2 games though. With occasional TE and RB help. The Denver game is also misleading because their best pass rushers were out. We need a bigger sample size. Remember that Tevaughn Campbell also looked good in spurts this year.
          The only thing Campbell looked good doing is picking up fumbles. Everything else...not so good.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

I wudai'nt say ol is no longer a PON...but it would be real nice if we can salvage this kid's career, and turn him into a viable swing tackle who maybe earns a starting nod after a season or two behind a reliable vet....keep up the good work, Tre....
            The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The only thing Campbell looked good doing is picking up fumbles. Everything else...not so good.
              You know my argument is still valid. We need more games to hopefully show that he can be a legitimate starter. I’m rooting for the kid and hope it continues. But 2 games is still too small.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Trey Pipkens graded out higher at RT versus the Broncos than at LT versus the Chiefs. Kudos, young man.

Comment

• Parcells
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

You know my argument is still valid. We need more games to hopefully show that he can be a legitimate starter. I’m rooting for the kid and hope it continues. But 2 games is still too small.
                  Part of why I want him to play RT next week. Storm Norton just doesn’t have the physical skill set that Pipkins does. If Pipkins has started to put it together, he can be a starting tackle in this league. I don’t think Norton is more than a backup caliber tackle.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Part of why I want him to play RT next week. Storm Norton just doesn’t have the physical skill set that Pipkins does. If Pipkins has started to put it together, he can be a starting tackle in this league. I don’t think Norton is more than a backup caliber tackle.
                    Norton does not have Pipkens skill-set when it comes to the run game.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Utah
                      • Midnight Toker
                      • Send PM

I wasn't expecting much from him when he was drafted. He was drafted on mainly his NFL size and his upside. This is about when most developmental Oline projects start to fill out. TT shucks! Oh Question. Does TT get credit for Ekeler or no? I'm on the fence. But you never hear the haters talk about FA diamond in the rough AE... PFP.

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                        I wasn't expecting much from him when he was drafted. He was drafted on mainly his NFL size and his upside. This is about when most developmental Oline projects start to fill out. TT shucks! Oh Question. Does TT get credit for Ekeler or no? I'm on the fence. But you never hear the haters talk about FA diamond in the rough AE... PFP.
                        Not only does TT get credit for Ekeler, he gets credit for the beautiful contract he has him signed to.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                          Day One...
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Brentwood, 94513
                          • Send PM

Well deserved. From where most of us thought for him. Seeing him even play a full game is a bright spot. I’m sure the oline room has a lot to do with this. On any team, that group has to be the tightest and competition should be a must.

Comment

Working...
                          X