• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Pipkins has another year to prove he can be a swing tackle. I'm not reading too much into 2 games against diminished defenses.
    RT is still on my draft list. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having OT depth next year.
    If Pip can put together another game or two it merely means we don't re-sign Norton in the off-season.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      Pipkins has another year to prove he can be a swing tackle. I'm not reading too much into 2 games against diminished defenses.
      RT is still on my draft list. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having OT depth next year.
      If Pip can put together another game or two it merely means we don't re-sign Norton in the off-season.
      As you said, Pipkins has only 1 year on his rookie contract for 2022. If he proves to be a player, then the costs of his next contract go up significantly. OT is always a PON as development is constant.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t know about being humbled. Everything I read said he was already a humble guy. The problem is that he was an extremely raw prospect who should have been red shirted his first year but then end up playing and developing bad habits. He went through two more different OL coaches after his rookie season, including a shortened offseason in 2020. Frankly, I’m surprised he looks this good despite the team’s best efforts to ruin him. Glad Staley took the long view on him and it’s slowly paying off. Right now, he still needs more consistent games under his belt with less help to see if he has a future as a starter. Otherwise, he’s decent depth at the moment.
        Personally, i'd prefer seeing Pip out there at RT next week.

Who ever is out there might signify who stays & who eventually goes.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

2 games though. With occasional TE and RB help. The Denver game is also misleading because their best pass rushers were out. We need a bigger sample size. Remember that Tevaughn Campbell also looked good in spurts this year.
          this....

looks like he has suddenly played better in 2 games..... hoping that continues.....

has his coaching been super bad before this year?

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Pip and Norton can both likely be resigned for dirt cheap right now. If Staley and the coaches believe in either or both, I’d extend one or both of them right now.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

As you said, Pipkins has only 1 year on his rookie contract for 2022. If he proves to be a player, then the costs of his next contract go up significantly. OT is always a PON as development is constant.
              Correct. The problem is this... the season may only be 1 game more (if they can't beat the Raiders). Then the draft in April. Is that enough sample-size to scratch RT off of the list? Unfortunately a decision at RT needs to be made BEFORE Pipkins gets a chance to prove himself NEXT year.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Correct. The problem is this... the season may only be 1 game more (if they can't beat the Raiders). Then the draft in April. Is that enough sample-size to scratch RT off of the list? Unfortunately a decision at RT needs to be made BEFORE Pipkins gets a chance to prove himself NEXT year.
                IF Pipkens trains this off-season with Andrew Whitworth, the Chargers can lower their sites to OT Max Mitchell, Louisville in the 5th Round.

This summer, Whitworth enjoyed a family vacation in Colorado. It also provided him an opportunity for altitude training at about 8,000 feet. “I’m carrying stuff, pushing stuff up hills,” Whitworth said. “It’s quite intense.”
                The Rams left tackle is doing CrossFit, MMA training, power lifting, yoga -- anything to stay in the game and keep Jared Goff upright.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

IF Pipkens trains this off-season with Andrew Whitworth, the Chargers can lower their sites to OT Max Mitchell, Louisville in the 5th Round.

The Rams left tackle is doing CrossFit, MMA training, power lifting, yoga -- anything to stay in the game and keep Jared Goff upright.

Love Whitworth! He's the Tom-Brady-of-OL. Ageless. Training at altitude is serious. I used to play both football and basketball at 4200 elevation. The visiting team never had a chance...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    Wait... is Telesco a good GM or bad
                    I forgot.
                    I think Staley & Staff finally, FINALLY coached Pip up to become a reliable backup...gotta wonder what Lynn's Motley Crew has been trying to teach Pip all these years...

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

I say re-load with a FA RT and/or draft a RT at least in round 3-4...assume nothing...need quality depth in case of injury...

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I say re-load with a FA RT and/or draft a RT at least in round 3-4...assume nothing...need quality depth in case of injury...
                        I agree. I like RT Abraham Lucas or Bernhard Raimann in the 2nd round.
                        If Pipkins shows out in TC, then give him a shot to start and let the rookie watch/learn and get stronger.
                        If Pipkins somehow shows to be a quality RT in 2022... he'd want to get paid. Then you'd be in the same position... needing a RT.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

First, i’ll take my bite of crow. Mmmm crunchy!

Not sure what they couldn’t keep both Pip and Nort with one or both slated as backup. They started the year with both at backup. Beluga the Vanishing Whale is the guy departing with his bloated salary. I agree with someone above - does Pip now start in front of Norton when Norton is ready to come back? I also think so - he has a better physical toolset and if he’s putting it together, i think he may become the better of the two. Norton has held up but thats about his ceiling. Jmo, what the fuck do I know about OL coaching. Seriously.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X