• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Sure there's always issues, but the D was solid and kept us in the game. Held DET to 250 yards or so till that last drive.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Yeah, reading these comments you would think they ran the ball down our throats and marched up and down the field. Then, when you watch the game you see that for the most part their offence was held in check. Was the D perfect? Not at all. Do we need to work on some things.....yes. But that is pretty normal after week 1.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

The defense WAS pretty good, but Te'o definitely wasn't.

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

I was going to mention Weddle's deer in the headlights sit and wait for destruction play but all players have those. I saw Teo's as the same...just chose poorly and had little time to recover. Everyone gets a pass to get back into the swing of things. We played better than Detroit overall. Net was I thought Allen had a bungle of the play not catching with his hands and having it hit his shoulder and get intercepted for a TD. Not sure what happened on the INT at the half....might have been on Rivers or Floyd. That's 10 points right there. Clean that up and we will be even more consistent. Overall I thought we were far more year 1 of McCoy offense with shorter crossing route passes and play calling by Rivers making our offense tough to contain. We spread the ball around great even though Allen just tore it up today with Rivers feeding him.

Our D really was pretty decent. 21 points against them and 7 of that was garbage time and a coaching decision to go prevent (sure it ate up a whole minute of clock time but giving up the TD as a gimme is still ridiculous). I think Detroit has a solid offense with weapons and we handled them pretty well. Our CBs played a damned solid game which is encouraging with Denver being our passing nemesis and pass happy AFC with Indy and New England likely playoff teams. We match up well if we can get there.

Clean the mistakes up and we can do great things against playoff teams....Detroit was an 11-5 team last year...no slouch. A good W.

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

Grrrr....double post

Comment

• KNSD
              Registered Charger Hater
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Weddle is that old veteran dude you play against in the city leagues. He looks really great most of the time. Always in the right position and makes some great plays. Then somebody young and athletic comes along and makes him look like the old man he really is. The real Weddle is a guy who has lost his quickness and has very limited range. These deficiencies will be covered up much of the time by his intelligence and experience and by the fact that the rest of the defense is fast and that the CBs are really good cover guys overall. He probably adds things that can't be measured like of cohesion to the defense as well. Don't be fooled though. Leadership comes at a cost. We're going to see more "old man" moments as the season goes along.
              Last edited by KNSD; 09-14-2015, 07:49 AM.
              Prediction:
              Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
              Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
              Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                Grrrr....double post
                Yeah but worth saying it twice IMO.

Comment

• MakoShark
                  Disgruntled
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Alabama
                  • Send PM

Not to hijack the thread away from the Te'o talk, but I don't think Weddle is as done as most think he is. I don't think he deserves a top 10 contract for safety's either. I would love for him to give the Chargers the 'home-town' discount and re-sign on a 2 or 3 year deal.

Te'o ran himself out of position a couple of times, looked bad in coverage and missed some tackles. It was like him a last years Butler exchanged roles.
                  sigpic

Comment

• UtahBolt
                    Did we win?
                    • Jun 2013
                    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                    • Send PM

Agreed Te'o was awful and I believe he was the culprit on the Abdullah TD run that Weddle got burned so bad on. Te'o seems to just get swallowed up in the traffic as Abdullah runs right up the middle.

Weddle was bad yesterday and I say that as a huge EW fan (he is a Ute and I have watched him since he was 18). Everyone is talking about the juke Abdullah put on him but by far worse than that was the Ebron TD, that was inexcusable. He bit on the play fake so bad and allowed a big TE to run right past him. Then he had the gall to look around like there was supposed to be help...lame, that was your man EW.

One more EW play that was weird was on Calvin Johnson's 28 yard reception. Weddle showed blitz pre-snap and then ended up blitzing with one of the MLBs as well, leaving the middle of the field wide open with no help whatsoever. My impression is that Weddle decided to blitz on his own on that play as it would be hard to think that was a designed call with the middle left that far open and single coverage on CJ. Bad decision by EW and it cost us...
                    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Weddle also helped Flowers pretty much shut down the best WR in football all day. And Weddle also made a great play in the endzone to deny a TD (too bad it was followed by a TD anyways).

Guys, this was one game and most of you are harping on a few plays that you saw on TV. Pretty hard to assess how these guys played all game just from what the network shows. There are definitely things the Chargers need to address on both sides of the ball (and special teams) but benching starters and replacing them with rookies? I hope not.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        Did you guys actually watch Perryman play this preseason? He was awful. He isn't even close to unseating Te'o.
                        Speaks well of Telesco's 2nd round ILB genius.

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                          Speaks well of Telesco's 2nd round ILB genius.
                          I don't think Perryman's "light is on" yet. I want our players to perform well as soon as possible, just like we all do, but every player has their own timetable that it takes them to "get it." He's got the talent, and the "thump" to be a killer ILB, but he needs a little more time. The game will slow down for him (in praying). Hopefully he'll need very little time, tho, the way Teo to played.

I'm hoping this is just an off game for Teo. However, he has much shorter leash imho, like someone else said...
                          Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                          X