First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boltnut
    replied
    Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Which one is a starting RT? I don't doubt that either could play there, Slater very well, Salyer in a pinch. His range vs speed isn't good. Meanwhile Pip is his career best RT.
    Both are starting OT's. If you feel anxious about Salyer, draft a RT in the 2nd.
    Pip might be @ HIS career best... but that was a pretty low bar.
    Salyer was already better... as a rookie.
    Save your money for Herbie's and Slater's contracts... go get a better/cheaper RT (or LG if you believe Salyer is your future RT).

People are focusing on Pipkins... when they should be focusing 2 or 3 years down the road (Herbie/Slater).

I get it... people are finally excited that Pipkins isn't tripping on his own feet... or getting tossed around like a rag-doll.
    But we can do better. Hell, we already did (with Salyer).

With Lombo's quick hit offense... do we even need an All-Pro RT...? I know we certainly shouldn't be paying $8+ for one...

Leave a comment:

• sonorajim
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

TT found Slater... he also found Salyer.
    Which one is a starting RT? I don't doubt that either could play there, Slater very well, Salyer in a pinch. His range vs speed isn't good. Meanwhile Pip is his career best RT.

Leave a comment:

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
    replied
    Bulletin board... Duckin autocorrect!

Leave a comment:

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
    replied
    Built-in board! https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=86995802712

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    I so hate to not retain an avg RT when TT struggled his entire career to find one.
    You may see them under every rock. but it hasn't been Telesco's strong suit.
    TT found Slater... he also found Salyer.

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    Might I suggest Cody Mauch in the 2nd round...?

Leave a comment:

• sonorajim
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

And where do you think the re-structure and/or extension money goes...? Play around with the Over The Cap website to find out.

Cut Feiler, Re-structure Bosa, Re-structure Keenan, extend Davis... Your cap goes from -$8.75 million to $21.9 million in 2023.
    BUT... your 2024 cap goes from $47.3 million down to $30.8 million. Herbert will get $30+ million his 5th-year option in 2024 (and more than that in 2025).
    Do you like Pipkins more than you like Slater...? Slater's 5th year option will cost you $20+ million in 2025.

Meanwhile, you're paying an average performing RT $8.5 million per year... when you could draft a better RT this draft and pay him 1/3 that amount.
    You know what $8.5 million bought us this off-season...? Kyle Van Noy, Bryce Callahan, Morgan Fox, and Gerald Everett...

Put away the checkers and break out the chess pieces.
    I so hate to not retain an avg RT when TT struggled his entire career to find one.
    You may see them under every rock. but it hasn't been Telesco's strong suit.

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
    And the cap is a fucking joke, 13 mil over give me a fucking break! All they have to do is convert joeys salary from 2023 into a bonus and we clear like 18-20 million on the cap in one fucking move! And that’s before the new cap increases kick in, ONE FUCKING MOVE! give a break with the cap already! Cutting fieler and hopkins clears up an additional 9million in cap space, extend michael davis and create another 5-6 million in cap space, do I really need to continue, the chargers are no where near getting into cap trouble, STOP FUCKING BULLSHITTING ABOUT THE FUCKING CAP!
    And where do you think the re-structure and/or extension money goes...? Play around with the Over The Cap website to find out.

Cut Feiler, Re-structure Bosa, Re-structure Keenan, extend Davis... Your cap goes from -$8.75 million to $21.9 million in 2023.
    BUT... your 2024 cap goes from $47.3 million down to $30.8 million. Herbert will get $30+ million his 5th-year option in 2024 (and more than that in 2025).
    Do you like Pipkins more than you like Slater...? Slater's 5th year option will cost you $20+ million in 2025.

Meanwhile, you're paying an average performing RT $8.5 million per year... when you could draft a better RT this draft and pay him 1/3 that amount.
    You know what $8.5 million bought us this off-season...? Kyle Van Noy, Bryce Callahan, Morgan Fox, and Gerald Everett...

Put away the checkers and break out the chess pieces.

Leave a comment:

• Fouts2herbert
    replied
    Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
    The big cap numbers for next season are Bosa at $31M and Mack at $27M, followed by Allen at $21.7M, Williams at $19M, JC Jackson at $17M, and Linsley at $13.1M. Those six are the only double-digit cap hits. Mack has the same cap hit for 2024, the end of his contract. Those are his age 32 and 33 seasons. Seems like the Chargers have to do something about Mack (and maybe Bosa, whose contract runs through the 2025 season, his age 30 season). I don't know if you would want to reduce Mack's hit by extending him, given his age.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/los-angeles-chargers
    Converting half of bosa’s salary to bonus is kind of a no brainer due to him still having a good 4-5 years left, converting half his salary to a signing bonus would drop his cap hit to around 21mil and clear up 10mil in cap space

mack is tricky, he’s not what he used to be and probably not worth 27mil on the cap, but he has been our most consistent edge player in a year when he came back from foot surgery, he might actually be better next year with a proper offseason of training (instead of rehab) going into 2023…do you convert his salary too? I would, I don’t want mack going anywhere and he still has a lot of juice, plus by the time his dead cap hits most of our key guys will have already been extended, guys like herbert, slater, and pipkins…converting half of his salary to a bonus and adding a voidable year drops his cap number to around 16mil and adds 11mil to cap space

keenan is also tricky, he’s Mr. charger himself right now, you don’t want to piss him off and alienate a guy that has stuck with this team for so long…how much longer does he want to play for? IDK, but he’s probably not going to be amenable to a pay cut with what recievers are making nowadays and guys that he is still better than right now, I would probably consider converting some of his salary into a bonus too, even half of his current salary would drop his cap number by 6mil without putting too much into dead cap years down the road, same with mack

williams is worth his cap hit and he’s still in his prime and I’d convert half of his salary with zero regrets, here’s another guy that could add another 6mill to the cap

linsley is also an easy decision, give him half his salary up front and add a minimal 2mil dead cap after he retires but you also clear up 5mil in cap space

jc jackson is a big mystery, I don’t know what happens there, do the chargers have an out? Like in case he had legal issues? IDK, I’ll be really interested to see what happens with this one

an additional 9 mil can be cleared by cutting fieler and hopkins

extending ekeler by adding two more seasons (next year is last on his deal) to his current deal gives him a nice bonus and drops his cap hit clearing up another 5mil in cap space

same with michael davis, extend him, he’s motivated to stay in LA so the chargers can take advantage and get a deal here, by extending him they drop his cap hit to around 6 mil so they’d be clearing around 4 mil in cap space and go into 2023 feeling good that no matter what happens with jc jackson we have a very good corner in davis

NONE of these moves would put our future in jeopardy cap wise, none would be irresponsible and since all these guys move on at different intervals their dead caps won’t impact the same year, on the other hand if we make a bunch of trades, cuts or whatever we WILL be fucking up our team AND our cap for a couple of years!

if the team makes all these moves and they don’t need to make all of them but certainly should, they would clear up 56 MILLION in cap space, so 56 million minus 13 million leaves the chargers with 43 million in cap space to resign pipkins, give herbert his longterm deal, decide what to do in FA, and plenty left over to sign draft picks and have an in season spending budget like the chargers normally carry around 7-9 million during the season…

signing pipkins if his avg yearly pay is around 8 per would only impact next years cap about 7 million, herbert’s hit will be around 20 million in year one, so 43 minus 27 leaves the chargers 16 million, but they might wait on herbert’s extension until next year, so all these moves would leave around 36 million in space to do a lot with in FA like resigning fox, calahan, kyle, etc…
    Last edited by Fouts2herbert; 01-11-2023, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sonorajim
    replied
    Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

No. Crazy to develop Pipkins for four years and then let him go. Sure, any player can price himself out of reach, but unless that happens the Chargers need to match any reasonable number. Three OTs for next season will be Slater, Pipkins and Sarell. Salyer replaced Feiler at his (Salyer's) best NFL position and serves as emergency OT.

Pipkins has one knee problem (not plural), a strained MCL to one of his knees. As far as I know, it will heal with off-season rest. Had the ligament been ruptured, he wouldn't have been able to play. The injury may reduce his price on the open market.
    Salyer is an alternate OT. Jaimes can play OG.
    I do not disagree with you, rather question high priority of drafting OL 2023. I'd be happy to tale a day 3 gift that has fallen. I believe in developing OL-DL trenches. Keep them in the chain. This coming draft I'd like a C prospect.

Leave a comment:

• cmplxgal
    replied
    Originally posted by jox g View Post
    3 Competent OT in 2023 = Slater, Salyer, #2 Draft pick (or Sarrell improves/Bailey improves due to upside). Save $8.5 million from Pipkins who has questionable knee probs (a BIG danger)

No. Crazy to develop Pipkins for four years and then let him go. Sure, any player can price himself out of reach, but unless that happens the Chargers need to match any reasonable number. Three OTs for next season will be Slater, Pipkins and Sarell. Salyer replaced Feiler at his (Salyer's) best NFL position and serves as emergency OT.

Pipkins has one knee problem (not plural), a strained MCL to one of his knees. As far as I know, it will heal with off-season rest. Had the ligament been ruptured, he wouldn't have been able to play. The injury may reduce his price on the open market.

Leave a comment:

• sonorajim
    replied
    Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    #Chargers made playoffs despite giving up the sixth most rushing yards per carry since 1933:
    1934 Cincy Reds 6.40
    1950 NY Yanks 5.63
    1950 Colts 5.56
    1952 Dallas Texans 5.54
    1959 Redskins 5.48
    2022 CHARGERS 5.42
    1961 Vikings 5.41
    1958 49ers 5.36
    2013 Bears 5.35​

And let’s face it, this was not murderer’s row they were facing this year.
    Tillery stunk. Johnson , Bosa, Tito on IR.
    Bosa, AJ,Bash, Fehoko, Tito, Fox, Mack, KVN look good. for 2023.
    Tranquill, K9, KVN are good. ILB, edge depth is iffy.

Sat vs Jax, Tranquill and Team play will be key. We had decent run D most of Dec.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X