• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
    Like I was saying, giving Derwin James a mega contract now would not be wise, Let the man work for a new contract, franchise tag him and negotiate! That's fair! We gotta see if Derwin James has the ability to play a whole season, and be a factor in the playoffs! That hasn't ever happened and Derwin James has never been a part of that! Yet.

Realistically he has earned a franchise tag at best by what he has actually done on the field and based on the results with him being the Chargers starting SS!
    A shorter extension would work also. Maybe 3 years like MW. He does have the ability to play an entire season. He only missed two games last season because Staley was being ultra cautious. And he did play an entire season and was a factor in the playoffs his rookie season. I don’t see why he can’t again given his age. And no, he has earned more than the franchise tag.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      Hey - did “The Reach” make another interception? Huh, lucky guy right place right timing it again. Pfft.
      Yep...just about ANYONE can lead the nation in picks...pfffffftttt....

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Like I was saying, giving Derwin James a mega contract now would not be wise, Let the man work for a new contract, franchise tag him and negotiate! That's fair! We gotta see if Derwin James has the ability to play a whole season, and be a factor in the playoffs! That hasn't ever happened and Derwin James has never been a part of that! Yet.

Realistically he has earned a franchise tag at best by what he has actually done on the field and based on the results with him being the Chargers starting SS!
        Okay, this is reasonable. I'd rather franchise Derwin a year than do what some have suggested and trade him for picks already...let's see if he can have two more healthy seasons in a row...

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You’re as wrong as quacksaw senior. From Yuma to Yucaipa, from Barstow to Barona! From Chula Vista to your Chimichanga! RB is the most plug n play instinctive purely athletic position in all of football. The single most “ready” for NFL position there ever was. Kelly and Rountree are not going to be better backs, they are what they are. Spiller is a Thriller.
          And don't forget, "from OB to Santee, from San Ysidro to Escondido!!!" EEEEYYYYYYYYYYEEEE want to year from EEEEEEWWWWWW!

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Gonna disagree with this.

For one thing we haven't made the playoffs lately so not sure why that is a requirement lol.
            All I know is he shut down Kelce til he left the game and Waller had 2 receptions.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, this is reasonable. I'd rather franchise Derwin a year than do what some have suggested and trade him for picks already...let's see if he can have two more healthy seasons in a row...
              Those suggesting we trade him ( I haven't seen that here yet) are idiots and probably the same ones that suggested trading MW.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Didn’t James as rookie lead the Jackboyz in shutting down the Ravens in our only playoff win while he’s been on the team? The only season we made the playoffs since he’s been here? The one season he played til the end?

If you wanna say, hold off cuz injuries, fine. But when he plays it’s night and day for our D, no other player has had that impact (Bosa comes closest). Pay the man, long term.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  Didn’t James as rookie lead the Jackboyz in shutting down the Ravens in our only playoff win while he’s been on the team? The only season we made the playoffs since he’s been here? The one season he played til the end?

If you wanna say, hold off cuz injuries, fine. But when he plays it’s night and day for our D, no other player has had that impact (Bosa comes closest). Pay the man, long term.
                  I say:
                  1. Let's see if Derwin can play at least 14+ games this season, or better yet, all 17 games.
                  2. Franchise him the next year. About halfway through the season, if he's still healthy, offer him a reasonable 4-year extension, per going rate.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Trading one of your best players in the hopes you’ll draft a player who is as good does not seem smart to me. Not sure what folks think the trade value of a great safety is, but I suspect it is not a #1 pick.

I’m 100% in the PAY THE MAN camp. He’s proven himself to be elite, a difference maker, a force to be reckoned with. We have exactly 1 or 2 of those prior to this year’s additions we have yet to see play with bolts on their head.

the idea we’d get rid of the only difference maker not lined up on the edge seems crazy. The worry warts yammering about future injury will never sign a great player ever again imo. It can happen to any player. Derwin is flat out a beast of a Safety - crazy not to lock him in.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

This whole idea of having to see DJ stay healthy doesn't make sense to me.
                      he can easily play every game in 2022 and never play a full season afterwards. Staying healthy one season proves nothing.
                      We have to accept DJ is likely to miss a handful of games any given season.
                      is that worth a mega contract?
                      I say yes.
                      we just need to have a great backup plan and that's on staley
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                        he can easily play every game in 2022 and never play a full season afterwards. Staying healthy one season proves nothing.
                        I say yes.
                        Which he totally saw the need for last year. 2 CB signings, 3 DB draft picks, Webb back healthy.

Chargers theme song this season, on D at least: Shake It Up, by The Cars.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          I say yes.
                          Given his injury history I would only guarantee his first two years. If he wants all four years guaranteed I'd trade him for a second rounder. I like DJ but not enough to damage our teams financials for years to come.

:wtf:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X