• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockyMtnBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2022
    • Send PM

And maybe the best thing about pushing hard for a Peyton/Fangio combo is that they run the same systems on offense and defense. So you don’t have a multi year talent transition to different schemes.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post
      Understand that talent is important and we’ve not only had a lot of injuries, but also a lot of top tier talent go down. Difficult to overcome. My question: do you think Sean Payton is a better HC/OC than Staley/Lombardi? Do you think Fangio is a better DC than Staley? I think they are and would be a major upgrade that with better health next year would make us a more serious Super Bowl contender.
      Yes. I would prefer Sean Payton.

But I don't think Payton makes nearly the difference a healthy J.Bosa and R.Slater do in regard to winning on gameday.

Payton was 7-9 for 3 seasons in a row with prime Drew Brees at QB from 2014-2016.

Sean Payton defense rank in those three 7-9 season was 28, 31, 32 So he isn't immune to mediocrity or poor defense ranks.

He was a SB champion HC with years of experience, why would his defense be so terrible 3 straight years. Brees was in his prime leading a top 10 offense every single year during that time. Even ranked 2nd in offense one of those years and they still went 7-9.

Payton will need healthy stars like all coaches who succeed.
      He will need a healthy Bosa and Derwin.
      He will need a healthy Slater and other key players.
      And he probably would keep Lombo as his OC even if Payton himself would call the plays on GameDay.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

What happens if we upset Miami ?
        We fire Lombardi and Hill. And no, this isn't sarcasm.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
          Outback Goon
          • Sep 2018
          • Australia
          • Send PM

bitter pill to swallow:

Even Sean Payton would be struggling with the quality players Chargers have injured.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

What can one do? And this isn't directed at you, personally. But since you're taking aim at the Pollyanna label that I've thrown around so liberally...let's see how open minded you are.

For one, it's kind of disturbing that my posts that are less than positive/totally negative have people claiming that they're concerned about your "mental health". Others, for the same reason, insinuate that yours is a "shitty way to live". Still others claim that you "get away with a lot of stuff". So forgive me that you being called a Pollyanna gets your goat. Not once have I even hinted that someone's mental health is in question; I've never implied that any poster must lead a shitty life. And I don't think anyone is getting away with anything here.

It's just a fucking football posting board! People take criticism of "their" team so seriously - too seriously, if you ask me. But I've been watching this shitty movie for 42 years and I love to see it change. So I throw shit against the wall (which is what we ALL do) with absolutely zero expectation that anything is going to change. So I just vent. My way of dealing with the damn near constant disappointment in this very small, and pretty insignificant, part of my life.
            Lol...not directed at me personally, even though you quoted me, and made direct reference to my issue with the Pollyanna stuff...by the way, I doubt you will find me very "open minded" by your criteria...which is to say, I dont buy what your selling...but thanks for letting me know I was being evaluated. By the way, you suggested earlier that I should put you on ignore...I have not had to consider that option since I came to this forum...I won't now...but feel free to put ME on ignore...I hear Ill be in good company.
            Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

We fire Lombardi and Hill. And no, this isn't sarcasm.
              IMV, the prepondurance of this board projects the Chargers to lose to the Dolphins, realizes Spanos will fire no one and also to retain ownership of the team.

While it would be an upset for the Chargers to win, my post that you quoted in part, points out the simple fact that the game has not been played yet.

The storyline for the Chargers, since late September, has been to sneak into the playoffs under challenging circumstances and then make a long and surprising run.

You, and too many posters, have made it clear that this storyline is not only unlikely, but also repugnant.

That's a football take, I guess.
              Last edited by wu-dai clan; 12-10-2022, 06:27 AM. Reason: Further elaboration
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Lol...not directed at me personally, even though you quoted me, and made direct reference to my issue with the Pollyanna stuff...by the way, I doubt you will find me very "open minded" by your criteria...which is to say, I dont buy what your selling...but thanks for letting me know I was being evaluated. By the way, you suggested earlier that I should put you on ignore...I have not had to consider that option since I came to this forum...I won't now...but feel free to put ME on ignore...I hear Ill be in good company.
                There is a lot of "bad form" posting taking place on this board, partly fuelled by QSmokey and his schtick.

Posters turn opposing football takes into license to distort and villify.

I hear helplessness, fear and panic in many, many QSmokey posts, and have to wonder why he came back to TPB.

In my case, the genesis was him initiating engagememt me with repeated personal insults, ostensibly over my call for Charger fans to hang in there during difficult times.

It appears to me that what QSmokey fears the most is any Charger success in the current context.

It is peculiar for a poster to detach from a team, come back much later, post deceptive and provocative content, and then label post responders as too serious.

Isn't that a bit of "look at me" over friendly back and forth on the Chargers ?

The trumpeting of the "Ignore" feature, using it as a very personal put down and threat is in this case, and in all cases, the ultimate online weenie move.

Aloha has left the building in too many ways at TPB.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Yes. I would prefer Sean Payton.

But I don't think Payton makes nearly the difference a healthy J.Bosa and R.Slater do in regard to winning on gameday.

Payton was 7-9 for 3 seasons in a row with prime Drew Brees at QB from 2014-2016.

Sean Payton defense rank in those three 7-9 season was 28, 31, 32 So he isn't immune to mediocrity or poor defense ranks.

He was a SB champion HC with years of experience, why would his defense be so terrible 3 straight years. Brees was in his prime leading a top 10 offense every single year during that time. Even ranked 2nd in offense one of those years and they still went 7-9.

Payton will need healthy stars like all coaches who succeed.
                  He will need a healthy Bosa and Derwin.
                  He will need a healthy Slater and other key players.
                  And he probably would keep Lombo as his OC even if Payton himself would call the plays on GameDay.

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                    bitter pill to swallow:

Even Sean Payton would be struggling with the quality players Chargers have injured.
                    I don’t disagree. But do you think Staley is a better HC than Payton?

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

I don’t disagree. But do you think Staley is a better HC than Payton?
                      Sean Payton quit 11 months ago stating, "My heart isn't in it".
                      Did Payton's heart magically change... or does he just need the perfect QB in order to be "into it"...?

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

There is a lot of "bad form" posting taking place on this board, partly fuelled by QSmokey and his schtick.

Posters turn opposing football takes into license to distort and villify.

I hear helplessness, fear and panic in many, many QSmokey posts, and have to wonder why he came back to TPB.

In my case, the genesis was him initiating engagememt me with repeated personal insults, ostensibly over my call for Charger fans to hang in there during difficult times.

It appears to me that what QSmokey fears the most is any Charger success in the current context.

It is peculiar for a poster to detach from a team, come back much later, post deceptive and provocative content, and then label post responders as too serious.

Isn't that a bit of "look at me" over friendly back and forth on the Chargers ?

The trumpeting of the "Ignore" feature, using it as a very personal put down and threat is in this case, and in all cases, the ultimate online weenie move.

Aloha has left the building in too many ways at TPB.
                        Lol...very astute observations, as always, Wu...take heart...reason will reassert itself eventually on this board...lotta good fans are just really upset, cuz no matter what you believe the cause, no arguement it has been bitterly disappointing thus far.

Only advice I can give is to get pragmatic...forget what has happened so far, and root for an upset in one of the next 2 contests.
                        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Sean Payton quit 11 months ago stating, "My heart isn't in it".
                          Did Payton's heart magically change... or does he just need the perfect QB in order to be "into it"...?
                          Or perhaps after 16 seasons as a head coach in an incredibly demanding job he needed a year to step away, re-charge and assess what’s next. If he’s done that and feels re-energized and ready to do what it takes to be a championship contender, I’m not sure there are any better options. If the Chargers are REALLY serious about winning championships then there should be constant evaluation of what can be done to be better. My belief is that Payton is a better coach than Staley and I suspect if you asked GM’s across all other teams that sentiment would be unanimous.

Of course with the Spanos clan running the show I’m not sure that mentality of constantly evaluating what can be done to be the best is there. I’m sure they think they are doing everything they can…but that’s the root of it all. They don’t know what they don’t know and we’re doomed to mediocrity because of it.

Comment

Working...
                          X