Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Lol...not directed at me personally, even though you quoted me, and made direct reference to my issue with the Pollyanna stuff...by the way, I doubt you will find me very "open minded" by your criteria...which is to say, I dont buy what your selling...but thanks for letting me know I was being evaluated. By the way, you suggested earlier that I should put you on ignore...I have not had to consider that option since I came to this forum...I won't now...but feel free to put ME on ignore...I hear Ill be in good company.
      Typical of your "ilk". Invitation accepted.

Comment

• lightsout42
        Hire a winning coach
        • Oct 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
        Spanos’: “Staley stays, others go.”
        If you’re going to give Staley another year, anything that doesn’t include a change at OC and DC would be a total, abject failure of leadership.

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by lightsout42 View Post

If you’re going to give Staley another year, anything that doesn’t include a change at OC and DC would be a total, abject failure of leadership.
          Which means Herbert will likely have to learn his umpteenth new offensive scheme in college and the pro’s.

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2022
            • Send PM

Which means Herbert will likely have to learn his umpteenth new offensive scheme in college and the pro’s.
            Not if you bring in Payton….seamless from a scheme standpoint and an upgrade in play calling and game management. I don’t hate Staley, bright young coach….but if we are really in a “win-now” mode we can’t have a staff that is learning on the job. It seems like Staley has the right mindset and approach to learn and improve. He will get better….but is that good enough?

Comment

• lightsout42
              Hire a winning coach
              • Oct 2019
              • Send PM

Possibly, but I don’t think that’s been a big problem for him; and I’d think a new OC might have a “bridge” season where at least some concepts would be retained to move the scheme over time.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

I was watching The Herd that had some intertesting takes on QBs ..on the critical importantance of surrounding QBs with the best support.

Started with what Baker did on Thursday after being claimed on Tuesday. The question was could Baker have played in that offence in 2 days if the Rams had a defensive coach in place. The consensus was a resounding no. Sean McVay had alot to do with that.

Then it moved on to Tua. For his frst 2 years in Brian Flores he had a defensive coach who didnt believe in him. Now the Dolphins bring in a coach who not only supports him, but is a brilliant offensive mind, a coach who also surrounded Tua with great weapons. The result in Tuas perfomance with the right support around him is night and day.

I think we can all agree that QB is the most important position in the NFL, and finding a franchise QB, and then giving him the proper support and structure around him is the most important step you can take to work towards a Super Bowl.

Which brings us to Justin Herbert. The Chargers are very fortunate he fell to them in the draft. If you went to a QB factory and ordered the perfect prototype it would be Justin Herbert..height, size, strength, touchness, athleticism, smarts and of course as good of an arm as you will find.

Do the Chargers have the best possible structure, system and coaching to unleash the absolute best of Herbert's massive potential? I dont think they do. Injuries to the o line have contributed but there is no world in which Justin Herbert should be 32nd among QBs in ave pass attempt. Herbert has impressive stats his first 3 years but i think he has even higher potential and there is one important stat associated with QBs that has not been mastered....winning.

If the Spanos want to win, if they want to matter in the LA market and make money their clear top priority should be getting the very most of the best asset they have ever had their hands on. Do they have the best possible support system around Herbert now. I dont think so

So i dont care if they bring in Peyton or bring ina good OC with another year of Staley but this should be the goal. Not hiring a HC with one year of experince coaching a good defence to be responsible for the growth of Justin Herbert. You just cannot ignore what a difference to QBs offensive coaches like Daboll and McDaniel are making.

Herbert is good now. But can you imagine what Justin Herbert could do in the NFL working with a brilliant, innovative offensive coach who can work more to his strengths and also get him some speed and YAC weapons. You think you would get the strongest arm and best deep thrower in football a bonafide deep threat to keep defences honest. The injury to Guyton does not factor into this equation, he is not top calibre. He is a number 4

Do that for Herbert and he will outscore the deficiencies on this defence. The LA market will also have the most exciting team in football not a methodical, unimaginative offence. Seems like a no brainer for business and for more wins

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Sean Payton quit 11 months ago stating, "My heart isn't in it".
                  Did Payton's heart magically change... or does he just need the perfect QB in order to be "into it"...?
                  If he keeps us going to the POs and eventually winning one who cares?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by lightsout42 View Post

Whose out there for the Chargers, GM wise or head coach wise?

Critty said that the flavor of the day for the Spanos in this offseason's head coaching search would be a retread failure,
                    who is constantly genuflecting to his superiors.

Maybe.

If there is no one out there, than wait for next year; and then, be aggressive and go after that guy.
                    John Boy could fly out to meet him, and then polish his shoes while the guy goes out to a restaurant with his buddies,
                    the Spanos footing the bill.

When Bobby Beathard was first hired, he waited a year to analyze the organization, and then shit canned Dan Henning at the year's end.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
                      I was watching The Herd that had some intertesting takes on QBs ..on the critical importantance of surrounding QBs with the best support.

Started with what Baker did on Thursday after being claimed on Tuesday. The question was could Baker have played in that offence in 2 days if the Rams had a defensive coach in place. The consensus was a resounding no. Sean McVay had alot to do with that.

Then it moved on to Tua. For his frst 2 years in Brian Flores he had a defensive coach who didnt believe in him. Now the Dolphins bring in a coach who not only supports him, but is a brilliant offensive mind, a coach who also surrounded Tua with great weapons. The result in Tuas perfomance with the right support around him is night and day.

I think we can all agree that QB is the most important position in the NFL, and finding a franchise QB, and then giving him the proper support and structure around him is the most important step you can take to work towards a Super Bowl.

Which brings us to Justin Herbert. The Chargers are very fortunate he fell to them in the draft. If you went to a QB factory and ordered the perfect prototype it would be Justin Herbert..height, size, strength, touchness, athleticism, smarts and of course as good of an arm as you will find.

Do the Chargers have the best possible structure, system and coaching to unleash the absolute best of Herbert's massive potential? I dont think they do. Injuries to the o line have contributed but there is no world in which Justin Herbert should be 32nd among QBs in ave pass attempt. Herbert has impressive stats his first 3 years but i think he has even higher potential and there is one important stat associated with QBs that has not been mastered....winning.

If the Spanos want to win, if they want to matter in the LA market and make money their clear top priority should be getting the very most of the best asset they have ever had their hands on. Do they have the best possible support system around Herbert now. I dont think so

So i dont care if they bring in Peyton or bring ina good OC with another year of Staley but this should be the goal. Not hiring a HC with one year of experince coaching a good defence to be responsible for the growth of Justin Herbert. You just cannot ignore what a difference to QBs offensive coaches like Daboll and McDaniel are making.

Herbert is good now. But can you imagine what Justin Herbert could do in the NFL working with a brilliant, innovative offensive coach who can work more to his strengths and also get him some speed and YAC weapons. You think you would get the strongest arm and best deep thrower in football a bonafide deep threat to keep defences honest. The injury to Guyton does not factor into this equation, he is not top calibre. He is a number 4

Do that for Herbert and he will outscore the deficiencies on this defence. The LA market will also have the most exciting team in football not a methodical, unimaginative offence. Seems like a no brainer for business and for more wins
                      Herbert has always been first and foremost in the organization's opinion.
                      I'm sure Staley played up the I'm an ex-quarterback who knows the position angle.
                      Chargers probably thought they were getting two for the price of one with Staley (something the Spanos love).

It turns out, they were getting closer to nothing for the price of one: he's not a good D coordinator and he isn't helping out Herbert.

Hiring his 'mentor' Lombo smacks of Lynn hiring his mentor Stewart redux,
                      except much worse: Stewart didn't mess up Herbert's career

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Herbert has always been first and foremost in the organization's opinion.
                          I'm sure Staley played up the I'm an ex-quarterback who knows the position angle.
                          Chargers probably thought they were getting two for the price of one with Staley (something the Spanos love).

It turns out, they were getting closer to nothing for the price of one: he's not a good D coordinator and he isn't helping out Herbert.

Hiring his 'mentor' Lombo smacks of Lynn hiring his mentor Stewart redux,
                          except much worse: Stewart didn't mess up Herbert's career
                          No question the ex QB thing was played up, but as we know that does not equate to real NFL offensive coachng experience because you were once a QB in lower division collgee football.

So we didnt get the offensive mind they should have hired for Herbert In Brian Daboll and we also got a bottom 3 defence two years running

Comment

Working...
                          X