• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
    Sitting on the bench is a guaranteed way to miss plays.
    It's also a good way to avoid having a guy make mistakes in the game. The fact that Philon and a journeyman in Lissemore are playing ahead of him should tell you all you need to know about his readiness to play.

Comment

• WindsorUK
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Windsor, U.K.
      • Send PM

I'll let Steve make the argument here. He makes a good one and convinced me he's right. Nose tackle is not nearly as important as it used to be.
      Yeah, I get what you're saying Engine but the proof is in the pudding!
      We need to be more stout up the middle. Despite what Steve says, that is an absolute truth that can not be argued.
      Especially when guys like Reyes and Lissemore are 2 of your starting DL.
      Now, if those 2 guys were more in the mold of Lieuget, I'd buy what Steve was selling.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        It's also a good way to avoid having a guy make mistakes in the game. The fact that Philon and a journeyman in Lissemore are playing ahead of him should tell you all you need to know about his readiness to play.
        Or the judgment of the coaches. I don't know the answer. I have my doubts either way.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Or the judgment of the coaches. I don't know the answer. I have my doubts either way.
          They see him and decide, so I can only conclude they know better than we who don't get to seem him practice. I'm not so sure why people are so excited by him anyway - he had, what, one good game last year?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            They see him and decide, so I can only conclude they know better than we who don't get to seem him practice. I'm not so sure why people are so excited by him anyway - he had, what, one good game last year?
            I don't know much about Carrethers other than what people have said on this forum.

But I don't buy the whole argument that coaches know more than fans about everything.
            I mean, it's generally true they know more. They always know more about the little things that make it possible to even play a football game. They are the professionals.
            But all those years with Norv and Henning taught me coaches don't always know best - like it's a bad idea to lateral the ball deep into the our endzone to Marion Butts, that Mathews is better than Tolbert, or that Rivers shouldn't hold the ball long when the O'line can't pass block very well.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

It's tough to win a game when the opposing team runs up the middle for 5 yards every first down. I agree with the importance of pass defense, but you're dead if they are in 2nd and 5 all day long.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                You guys are correct. We get ANIHILATED up the middle every week.
                And yet, year after year, draft after draft, NO ONE here believes this team needs a traditional 3-4 NT.
                It's painfully obvious you need a big ugly in the middle to keep your ILB's clean so THEY can make plays.
                And somewhere, out there in 'BANNEDville', Yubaking is laughing.

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

One could say their run offense wore us down so much that our pass rush sucked....
                  Prediction:
                  Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                  Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                    One could say their run offense wore us down so much that our pass rush sucked....
                    It sucked in the first half as well.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                      It's tough to win a game when the opposing team runs up the middle for 5 yards every first down. I agree with the importance of pass defense, but you're dead if they are in 2nd and 5 all day long.
                      Go back and look at how many 3rd and longs they converted. We are setting them up on drives. Sure, they get a first down here, or there, but on every drive we had a chance to stop them and either let them complete passes downfield to continue the drive, score or gave them the 1st down on a penalty. You set the other team up in 3rd and long and they don't come off the field, how the hell is that a run defense problem?

The other issue with the run D is not how stout they were. How many times did the DL stop the Bengals surge, only to have the 3rd or 4th or 5th effort move the pile? That isn't the DL, that is the LB and secondary not making tackles.

And the big Benrard run that broke our backs is all on Liuget and Attaochu playing with their heads up their asses. How the hell do you you charge upfeild and not play the run when you know that cinci if trying to work on the clock. Both those idiots charged upfeild, did nothing to stay square to the line. No help to the interior, squeezing down the hole. Just a very high school like effort from two supremely talented players.

Comment

• Classic
                        Hall Of Fame
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Send PM

No Elite talent on this defense except for Jason Verrett. No pass rushers and 1 good DL player. All this help with the horrid run defense we have.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Tackling correctly can be taught. Playing smart, not so sure. In both cases if we have players fucking up this bad at their age(s), also not sure that can be overcome, at least to be effective at this level consistently.

Comment

Working...
                          X