Is a "Deebo Samuel" WR/RB Already on the Chargers?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
    I could see Palmer filling that type of role.

I suspect Palmer lacks the running back-type shiftiness that allows Deebo to do what Deebo does.

We've always heard that one of Staley's biggest strengths is identifying what a player does best, and then finding ways to put the player in the positions that allow him to do whatever his best thing is.

So I doubt Staley will overlook anything here.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

They might use Reed in the same way, but for most NFL coaches, this is kinda the Cordello Patterson option. It is a way to get the ball to a player who is too talented/fast to not be a regular part of the offense, but is not a good enough route runner to get open consistently as a receiver.

Samual is a better route runner as a rookie than Patterson ever was. He can get open, but 49ers struggle in the passing game at times, so it still kinda makes sense. Plus the pure zone offense type tend to overvalue speed in their runners, so they are always looking for ways to get more speed into the backfield, even though there is a pretty poor association between stopwatch speed and long runs.

I find it interesting that a player like Deebo Samual, who missed a LOT of time in college to injuries is someone they want to expose to a lot of extra contact. I get the element it adds to the offense, it's just a lot of contact on a player who gets hurt a lot. Why not just go out and get a really fast RB, or get another WR and convert them?

Reed has a lot of athletic ability, but he doesn't have a lot of background as a RB (or WR). He did some of the slot T RB from that Air Force does a lot of and Virginia has a lot in their offense. But he only had 21 carries as a sophmore and then a couple token carries each season after. Like I said, my recollection was that it was more like the backside RB from the old T-formation runs from the 40's and 50's. The 49ers do some of that as an outside zone to Samual, but they have a much better OL, and outside zone was not a good play for us, at least not consistently. When our running game got going, it really was going from the complimentary plays, more than the outside/inside zone plays. Feiler and Schofield were better pulling and traping across the formation than as pure zone blockers.

As far as Reed's overall development goes, I think we need to give him a good long look in whatever role we decide to give him. Samual had a lot more experience to bounce back and forth between RB and WR. Reed should probably be allowed to get good at one of them, before we ask him to do both (poorly). And if he is going to show something as a return guy, this is probably the season it needs to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
        that guy Deebo is kinda build like a running back...5'11" 214..and he ran a 4.5 40 or something. Most receivers are a bit thin in the build /in the legs but he is a bit stout...so sure...a guy like that could easily be a back who is great coming out of the backfield. The question would be...find someone who would WANT to...thats a tough deal running thru those DL's and linebackers...short career! :>)

That Shanahan is quite a coach.
        Reed has a solid build and similar measurables to Samuel (within an inch or so and 10 pounds; within .01 in 40 time; within 1 inch in both vertical leap and broad jump), but Reed seems slightly more rigid and less elusive than Samuel, which I think could make all the difference between two physically similar players.

Comment

• Classic
          Hall Of Fame
          • Dec 2014
          • Send PM

Reed is JAG at best. We need to ship out all of the crappy JAGs on this roster. Hill and Reed were mistakes the moment they were selected.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
            Reed is JAG at best. We need to ship out all of the crappy JAGs on this roster. Hill and Reed were mistakes the moment they were selected.
            I hope you're not saying that off of hindsight. The coaches thought these guys had potential to make an impact on the team.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
              it means they have no problems with his work ethic, accountability, and overall effor
              This is good to know.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

We don’t have a Deebo Samuel on the roster. We could have had something close with Cordarelle Patterson but no.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  They might use Reed in the same way, but for most NFL coaches, this is kinda the Cordello Patterson option. It is a way to get the ball to a player who is too talented/fast to not be a regular part of the offense, but is not a good enough route runner to get open consistently as a receiver.

Samual is a better route runner as a rookie than Patterson ever was. He can get open, but 49ers struggle in the passing game at times, so it still kinda makes sense. Plus the pure zone offense type tend to overvalue speed in their runners, so they are always looking for ways to get more speed into the backfield, even though there is a pretty poor association between stopwatch speed and long runs.

I find it interesting that a player like Deebo Samual, who missed a LOT of time in college to injuries is someone they want to expose to a lot of extra contact. I get the element it adds to the offense, it's just a lot of contact on a player who gets hurt a lot. Why not just go out and get a really fast RB, or get another WR and convert them?

Reed has a lot of athletic ability, but he doesn't have a lot of background as a RB (or WR). He did some of the slot T RB from that Air Force does a lot of and Virginia has a lot in their offense. But he only had 21 carries as a sophmore and then a couple token carries each season after. Like I said, my recollection was that it was more like the backside RB from the old T-formation runs from the 40's and 50's. The 49ers do some of that as an outside zone to Samual, but they have a much better OL, and outside zone was not a good play for us, at least not consistently. When our running game got going, it really was going from the complimentary plays, more than the outside/inside zone plays. Feiler and Schofield were better pulling and traping across the formation than as pure zone blockers.

As far as Reed's overall development goes, I think we need to give him a good long look in whatever role we decide to give him. Samual had a lot more experience to bounce back and forth between RB and WR. Reed should probably be allowed to get good at one of them, before we ask him to do both (poorly). And if he is going to show something as a return guy, this is probably the season it needs to happen.
                  Absolutely agree. Reed is 224 lbs and built like a RB, was a terrific return guy in college.

I'm not saying he is Deebo Samuel but he can do that role. He did run the ball a couple times as a rookie and scored a TD.

He just needs to be healthy. I don't know what he had surgery on this season but I look forward to what we do with him next season.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

More appropriately, Is Debo the new Sproles?

Reed needs to have a training camp where the coaches take notice of him. He has to make things happen when he touches the ball and he hasn’t so far.

How did this team ever let Sproles go? O wait, money….
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      More appropriately, Is Debo the new Sproles?

Reed needs to have a training camp where the coaches take notice of him. He has to make things happen when he touches the ball and he hasn’t so far.

How did this team ever let Sproles go? O wait, money….
                      They did sign Reed to a futures contract so somebody saw something.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        We don’t have a Deebo on the roster.
                        No Debo? No problem....as long as we get a Big Worm at NT.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They did sign Reed to a futures contract so somebody saw something.
                          Saw something cheap

Comment

Working...
                          X