Improving the WR Corps (Mike Williams Signs - 3 Years 60M)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I actually thought McKitty looked good in the time he got. I can see him developing into a starting-caliber TE. He didn't play initially, but was our best inline blocker late in the season, and considering he wasn't used as a receiver at Georgia, he did a good job catching even though he really was on the field mostly when we ran the ball.

Parham is obviously the high upside player as a receiver. He too improved a good deal as a blocker, but has a ways to go. I am not sure he will ever be a great blocker, which will limit his playing chances some, but if he can continue to develop as a receiver, he brings a lot of problems for defenses. He is not fast, but he can get deep with his long strides, and he is more athletic than most long strider types. He broke a lot of tackles underneath to get extra yards and does a good job of catching passes on the edge of his catch radius.

If there is a great TE choice available we should take one, but I don't think it is a real prority. From what I have seen so far, this is not a good year for them anyway. Another young TE is going to cut into the playing time for Parham and McKitty. Anderson will probably be back as a hybrid FB and blocker, event though he will never be much of a receiver. He does the dirty work that McKitty and Parham can't do.

if we are going to free up a roster spot, it would be at FB. Nabers was very athletic in college as sort of a move FB or H-back. Considering I think he probably gets a lot of extra work with Herbert (considering they are housemates), he just doesn't seem to add much as a receiver, and his blocking has just not developed. He is an OK ST, but when I watch him, he still doesn't seem all that great. I am fine keeping him as a ST guy, but he adds nothing to the O unless he really takes a big step up this offseason.

If we want a FA there are not too many good options at TE. If you want the high risk, high reward type, there is Njoku or Gronk. Gronk has the history, but he always had his bad back (that is why he fell to the Pats in the draft) and I am not sure he is going to be that enthusiastic about learning a new offense and not having Brady. He also will almost certainly miss 4-7 games at this stage in his career, if his back doesn't get too much worse (the perils of the being 33). Njoku is just plain inconsistent, but I get the sense he wants a big paycheck, even though he is a poor blocker and inconsistent receiver. He is a name though, so maybe we want him for that.

The only good name I see is Hayden Hurst. He is not a super dynamic guy, but he is somewhat consistent. He is the odd man out behind Pitts in Atlanta, so he is the guy you could bring in and let him earn some playing time. if McKitty and Parham keep him off the field, fine. But he is more of a Eric Heiden or Craig McEwan type of guy in the sense that he is a dependable outlet guy, but he is not going to hurt a defense badly. And if they show him any attention at all, they can take him out of the game.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      w/no MW, Palmer prolly goes for 60 receptions and 600 yards + Keenan's usual 100 receptions & 1k+ yards.... how much more do we need ??

I know how much more we need on the IDL, @RB, TE & CB.
      The problem is we need players who can get deep and attack the 3rd level of the D. Mike Williams is that guy. I like Palmer's development, but he isn't a consistent deep threat like Williams is. Some of that comes with age, but Palmer strikes me as more of an intermediate guy than a true deep guy. He is athletic enough to do some of that with the right weapons around him, but I think we need a complimentary guy to add to it.

Guyton can be, but he needs to improve his short game. Even on short crossers, which are not really quick passing, he is not very effective. A lot of his drops are coming over the middle, similar to Tyrell Williams. He has the speed we need to stretch defenses, and he does catch a lot of deep passes, but his overall production is just not good enough to sustain the offense. It would really open up his game if he had a quick game to go with his deep speed.

The TE can really help, if they can continue to develop. I would also like to see Ekeler be used more as a pure receiver (split out to the slot or outside), but that can't happen till we get more help at RB.

The biggest thing that would help our explosiveness is just having a running game to help Herbert. If nothing else, it would really help the OL, with TE and RB around to lengthen the line, and do the occasional chips. But it lets a OL wear down a DL, and take the edge off their pass rush. But we need more consistency in the running game. That would probably let us run more RPO's, and that would be a big help for our play action-ish game.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan
        Herbert says he wants @darealmike_dub back.

That settles it.
        If he is back - I just want it to be a long term deal
        franchising just takes too much cap space and I don't care what Popper thinks
        I have done the math on my spreadsheet and $6-8m is a lot of cap space that can be used on a couple reasonably priced veterans so UDFAs and Late round picks aren;'t your depth
        thank you - that is my Ted talk on the Chargers salary cap
        Namaste

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

The Mike Williams thread is closed, so I'll post this here.

Justin Herbert indicates he wants Mike Williams back on Chargers

Mike and I have a great relationship and I've been talking to him all year about it. He's one of those guys that is so athletic and has done such a great job all year. He works so hard, knows what he's doing out there and makes plays. For him to be a part of our offense, he makes us so much better. Fingers crossed, whatever happens, happens. It's out of my control, but I'm a big Mike Williams fan.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan
            Herbert says he wants @darealmike_dub back.

That settles it.
            It's mostly up to Mike & his agent whether he gets tagged or a new contract. Everybody wants him back.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

It's mostly up to Mike & his agent whether he gets tagged or a new contract. Everybody wants him back.
              Agreed. The posture of Mike and his agent were always going to be the deciding factor.

It will get done. We want long term. That fits TT too. See vintage Colts with Reggie Wayne/Marvin Harrison.

I have to now let go of dreams of Treyvon Burks @ LAC (now Draft Network #12 overall.)
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Agreed. The posture of Mike and his agent were always going to be the deciding factor.

It will get done. We want long term. That fits TT too. See vintage Colts with Reggie Wayne/Marvin Harrison.

I have to now let go of dreams of Treyvon Burks @ LAC (now Draft Network #12 overall.)
                I’m getting a Hunter Henry vibe on this one. Somebody is going to come hard for MW. Hope it isn’t BB

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                  Day One...
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Brentwood, 94513
                  • Send PM

The drop off of letting Williams go, oppose to the upgrade on defense with that money is where I think it’s going to happen. This notion of Williams signing for 15 million a year is wishful thinking. It’s going to be 20 million or more.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                    The drop off of letting Williams go, oppose to the upgrade on defense with that money is where I think it’s going to happen. This notion of Williams signing for 15 million a year is wishful thinking. It’s going to be 20 million or more.
                    Sounds like a 3rd round comp pick for us...I'll take it...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                      I'm betting it isn't. Last year JuJu was projected to get 20 mil and he signed a 1 year deal for 8 mil. Sutton signed for less than projected as well.

Again I'll repeat that MW has said he hopes to stay and doesn't like change and likes the relationships he has on this team, one being with Herbert.

Different things matter more to different players. If he signs for 60 mil plus the 15.7 he made last year plus what he made the other 4 years, maybe he feels he has plenty of money. That's close to 100 mil.
                      Some are greedy but not everyone is.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-06-2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'm betting it isn't. Last year JuJu was projected to get 20 mil and he signed a 1 year deal for 8 mil. Sutton didn't signed for less than projected as well.

Again I'll repeat that MW has said he hopes to stay and doesn't like change and likes the relationships he has on this te, one being with Herbert.

Different things matter more to different players. If he signs for 60 mil plus the 15.7 he made last year plus what he made the other 4 years, maybe he feels he has plenty of money. That's close to 100 mil.
                        Some are greedy but not everyone is.
                        Or...actually Sane and Realistic!

:beer:
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                          Allen Robinson. Adams is a pipe dream.
                          :umno:

Comment