Improving the WR Corps (Mike Williams Signs - 3 Years 60M)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

GB has been overpaying to add FA fixes the last couple of years. But it also gives them some quick fixes.

Packers are $40+ mill over the cap. However, Zadarius Smith costs them $27.66 mill, Preston Smith costs $19.7 mill, Randall Cobb is somewhat overpriced these days at $6.8 mill. GB has a lot of work to do, but they can probably make things work out, especially if Love is ready to play. Even if he isn't, they can still probably make it work provided they can be somewhat flexible.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
      San Diego Native
      • Feb 2019
      • Farmington, NM
      • Send PM

Personally, I'm not sold on Davante as a Charger. If he doesn't stay in GB, he'll pick a team closer to winning a Super Bowl (Bills, Bucs, Chiefs, Rams, etc). Also, he has been brilliant with Rodgers but there is no guarantee he'll have the same chemistry with Justin... or the same success. Additionally, isn't his game similar to Keenan's? Wouldn't it be better to have differing yet complimentary skill sets in the WR room?

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
        San Diego Native
        • Feb 2019
        • Farmington, NM
        • Send PM

Also. if we want Davante Adams, we have to wait until March 16 and hope to outbid the other 31 teams vying for his services. While negotiating with Adams, we will be distracted from fixing our Defense. We could lose out on Adams, Williams, Robinson, etc.There are no guarantees.

Or, because we have exclusive negotiating rights to Mike Williams for the next 6-weeks, TT could get it done and reward our talented mismatch of a WR this week avoiding distraction and allowing us to focus on defense in FA.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

I would move on from Keenan.

the volume of targets and catches he gets a season should be producing more then 6 total tds a season.

just to put in perspective the past two season Davante has 29 tds.

Keenan has 26 in 4 seasons to me thats not good enough.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post

the volume of targets and catches he gets a season should be producing more then 6 total tds a season.

We can't move on from Keenan until after next season. 75% of his salary is already guaranteed. Just because he doesn't have a lot of TD's doesn't mean he's not productive. He gets double teamed quite a bit and there are other playmakers on our team in the red zone too. Eckler is big in punching it in as well as other receivers that are single covered there. Keenan is a victim of his past success vs. getting worse.

:hello:
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Rodgers is a stat hound. He audibles into tons of passing plays at the goal line. Adams has incredible chemistry with Rodgers. Just like MW is probably more valuable to us, I think Adams is more valuable to the Packers because of his chemistry with Rodgers.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post
                Personally, I'm not sold on Davante as a Charger. If he doesn't stay in GB, he'll pick a team closer to winning a Super Bowl (Bills, Bucs, Chiefs, Rams, etc). Also, he has been brilliant with Rodgers but there is no guarantee he'll have the same chemistry with Justin... or the same success. Additionally, isn't his game similar to Keenan's? Wouldn't it be better to have differing yet complimentary skill sets in the WR room?
                I don't agree with your statement about winning a super bowl and how close a team is. This the NFL - the Bengals won 2 games, two years ago, 4 games last year and are one game away.

That being said, with KA on the roster and his salary what it is - guarantees and dead cap space - he doesn't make sense to cut this year

So do you take a chance and miss out on MW to get DA

I think Adams will be with Rodgers in Denver or with Carr in Vegas But he is a darn good player and if they swung for the fences with him - I wouldn't mind

Sometimes taking a risk, taking a chance, and pushing some chips into the middle pays off (e.g. LA RAMS)

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post

Yeah... I think Allen is fading..... not letting him go.. but.. I dont know.. not being a priority but a great second option.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post

M Williams >> A Robinson

Adams only if Williams wants similar salary...
                    Well, I agree. And re-signing Williams would be my first choice. But...failing that...does anyone REALLY think the Chargers are going to pay the huge bucks for a guy like Adams? Robinson is a decent consolation prize, IMO.

Another guy that's sort of intriguing - and might/would represent an upgrade over MW - is Chris Godwin. Problem with him is he's coming off an ACL injury, so there is some risk there.
                    Last edited by QSmokey; 01-24-2022, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

Yeah... I think Allen is fading..... not letting him go.. but.. I dont know.. not being a priority but a great second option.
                      Fading? He caught more passes than he has ever caught in his career and the second most touchdowns (8 was his high). He did have some drops but I see no drop off in him yet. If we added a more explosive receiver to our receiving corp, he'd be even more effective.

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Fading? He caught more passes than he has ever caught in his career and the second most touchdowns (8 was his high). He did have some drops but I see no drop off in him yet. If we added a more explosive receiver to our receiving corp, he'd be even more effective.
                        he sure had a diminished role at the end of the season..

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

Is it fading ?
                          K. Allen had 9 drops this year on 157 targets.
                          In comparison, J. Cook had 6 on 83.

Comment

Working...
                          X