• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Peter King:

When I met with Chargers coach Brandon Staley at the NFL Scouting Combine, he made it clear his team would be active in team improvements this offseason. That started last week with the re-signing of receiver Mike Williams and the trade for edge rusher Khalil Mack.

I think the Chargers' approach will continue today with an early run at a couple of targets in free agency. One will be Patriots cornerback J.C. Jackson, the NFL's leader in interceptions over the past three seasons. He hasn't missed a game over the past three years, he's only 26, and he's a good buddy and former Florida high school 7-on-7 teammate of Chargers safety Derwin James. But I don't think Jackson will be the only Chargers' target of the early tampering period, and they won't be solely focused on filling a cornerback need (Chargers allowed 27 TD passes last year) with Jackson if the money gets out of control.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

If you actually believe he's going to spend on all three, great. I believe he'll sign Jackson and either bring back Justin Jones or sign another defensive tackle who's over 30 years old and past his prime. Then he MIGHT draft Jordan Davis, who most likely will struggle as a rookie and may not even start (people are all excited over his 40 time, which means very little to the position).

It's predicted that Jackson will sign for four years, $72 million, with $56 million guaranteed. Unless he's a perennial All-Pro, I'd rather invest most of my major resources on linemen and take my chances in this draft with mid- to late-round corners. J.C. Jackson himself was an undrafted free agent. Cornerbacks look a lot better when the opposing quarterback doesn't have time to throw.
      I do think the Chargers need an upgrade at DL and Akiem Hicks is not going to cut it. So to that point, I would like Justin Jones back, sign SJD and if the CB is somebody cheaper, I am good with that too. I agree with you - I am leery of any more players over 30 for the DLine or CB

Khalil Mack was the exception based on the market for Edge. DL and CB do not have that issue. Plenty of options for players in their prime, second contract.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post

Norton got exposed really bad vs Max in our final game
        To improve RT via FA
        We would need Bosa to restructure his contract. Hope this happens
        Best scenario would be Chargers go to the draft after signing starters at CB and ROT.
        I'd love it if our first 3 picks are LB or DT or power RB.
        Did Crosby sack Herbert in that game? Did he sack Herbert, or knock the ball down, in the 4th Q or in OT?

My memory of that game is that it really looked like Storm was getting abused by Crosby, but that Storm actually held up quite well and did not let Crosby disrupt Herbert. Herbert did engineer one of the most epic comebacks any one of us will ever see. The offense was on the field for most of the 4th Q and it was out there on an OT period. The entire offense was exhausted, especially Storm, who had to block one of the most relentless pass rushers in the league. I know that at times Storm looked completely over-matched, but he still did prevent Crosby from wrecking the game. There is something to be said for that.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

We need a legit RT.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Some gas upon the fire. Mornin' to all Chargers fans, let's get this done.

Begs the question: What is the best defense in Chargers franchise history?

My best guess in the 2006 squad. If Steve Foley stays at home that Labor Day, the season ends different.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
                Great White North
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

He'd be a big signing but we still need to shore up the middle of the defense. Stop the run. Hopefully they get it right because we have a gift in Herbert and that rookie deal.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

My best guess in the 2006 squad. If Steve Foley stays at home that Labor Day, the season ends different.
                  2007 squad would have been the best if Phillips was still our DC.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post
                    He'd be a big signing but we still need to shore up the middle of the defense. Stop the run. Hopefully they get it right because we have a gift in Herbert and that rookie deal.
                    Agree. We got a lot of holes so hopefully this move won’t preclude us from addressing the other parts competently.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

My best guess in the 2006 squad. If Steve Foley stays at home that Labor Day.
                      The 2006 squad was definitely one of the best defenses in franchise history. Back in the late '70s the Chargers' defense was also dominant, with guys like Fred Dean, Big Hands Johnson, and Louie Kelcher up front, LB Woodrow Lowe, and a pretty decent DB unit. Some of the defenses during the Seau years were pretty good too. The 1994 SB team had a good defense.

But I agree the 2006 unit was special. Even though the Foley debacle sucked, it opened the door to fully unleash Merriman - 17 sacks that season! Too bad that AJ Smith started dismantling that prolific defense the next season when he let Donnie Edwards walk and decided it was time for the Matt Whiffhelm era. :freakout:

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Agree. We got a lot of holes so hopefully this move won’t preclude us from addressing the other parts competently.
                        it really shouldn't because hopefully they have laid out a series of moves they play on making and understand the slotting within the salary cap.

I am a bit suprised Bulaga is still on the roster at this point and that either the Mack or Bosa contracts haven't been re-done. But again, do not do anything until you have too either.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Staying on topic... I see three teams going after JC Jackson... the Bolts, the Jets and the Patriots (who might match the deal). Probably will know within the hour if he's a Bolt.

Comment

Working...
                          X