Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    A big complaint here is how conservative McCoy is - you really think he is going to keep on passing if we get a lead? I'm skeptical.
    I was agreeing. You know how I feel about McCoy. I don't trust him to do what's best in a game.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

We have to throw with a lead now because everyone knows we can't sustain a ground game. We have no consistency. Gordon can spring long runs and get us field position, but the blocking doesn't allow the grind it out game, and the coaches know that. When we can get one group of players on the field together, they can develop some consistency, but until then running the ball is a change of pace thing to set up the pass.

And it's not like we won't continue to break some long runs here and there. Oliver was hit and miss like that too. Woodhead has been too. We have good RB, it's the lack of teamwork from the OL. Our average will probably be over 4 yards per carry for the season, but if we develop some consistency, then it will explode because we we eliminate most of the negative/short runs that get us behind the count on down and distance. It's all those short plays that hold us back.

If we had any consistency from our OL, then running the ball when we have a lead is the smart thing to do. Look at the Steelers under Cowher to see how well they controlled the clock. But that comes when you can get 3 or 4 yards consistently, which we can't.

Comment

• homeless simpson
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
        If we're going to be a pure passing team, then we should have kept our first round pick this year and picked somebody that would help the team McCoy has as his vision.
        Do we even know what mccoys vision of this team is? This is year 3 and we don't have any real identity on offense...there isn't anymore commitment to the run than in the norv years and we only replaced his long pass happy game with a short pass happy one.

Then you have the perception of Telesco being a GM that places emphasis on the OL when he drafted Fluker...but it's only been fluker and watt as guys we've drafted and are trying to develop. It's mostly FAs and UDFAs.. we're not exactly building and devoloping through the draft.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

I like the dink n'dunk shit instead of norv's yards before catch scheme a whole lot.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I do wish we would streach the field more, defences can keep more players in a tighter area to make both the running and passing game more difficult.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
              Do we even know what mccoys vision of this team is? This is year 3 and we don't have any real identity on offense...there isn't anymore commitment to the run than in the norv years and we only replaced his long pass happy game with a short pass happy one.

Then you have the perception of Telesco being a GM that places emphasis on the OL when he drafted Fluker...but it's only been fluker and watt as guys we've drafted and are trying to develop. It's mostly FAs and UDFAs.. we're not exactly building and devoloping through the draft.
              What McCoy is forced to do because of injuries on the offensive line or what he'd like to do? Both he and Reich said they'd like to be more balanced on offense this year, but our line is so decimated that it's hard to keep beating your head against the wall.

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post

Yes we do. "The system is in place." I think we all know what the system is.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Pack the bags and get out before dawn?

Oh, wrong thread.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                    Yes we do. "The system is in place." I think we all know what the system is.
                    Whatever it is, there are liberal plays for shotgun draws within the system. Beats Sproles up the middle I guess.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

They didn't draft Gordon to run shotgun draws. We don't do that now anyway, no matter how much many of you seem to think you know how to recognize plays. We run a mix of plays that all look pretty similar when the OL can't block their assignments, but any play where the OL is getting knocked back into the backfield looks a lot like a draw if you don't know any better.

Long term, I agree, we need to develop a lot more balance and run the ball. We aren't there yet. We can try and run the ball, but that means we are going to lose. The OL has to spend time together, and it is a lot easier for a OL to work together pass blocking then run blocking. We don't have to dominate the line to win as a bunch of pass blockers. But to really run the ball well, we have to knock the other team off the ball, and win all along the line. Does anyone think we can do that right now?

To be a running team, and control the line, it takes not only good players (who I think we basically have), but it takes a lot of teamwork. You can't just stalemate defenders on every play, at least one blocker has to win their matchup, and more importantly, the rest of the OL has to maintain their block, even if they don't dominate. Right now, even when one blocker wins, we have at least 1 blocker losing and getting dominated.

Gordon and Oliver have both proved to me that they can be good to great starters. Both have the quickness to break runs and that is the kind of explosiveness that allows a running team some margin of error. But we piss that margin of error away with way, way too many negative plays. We get ourselves behind on down and distance, and that is all about blocking. Unless you think the RB can start beating the DL and LB in the backfield every play, the blocking has to at least lock up on the defender, and someone is got to give the RB room to get going. You can rationalize it all you want, but until that happens the only chance we have to win is to throw more then run. We are just using the running game to slow the pass rush and keep defenses honest. But when we can't run against the worst run D in football (Cleveland), it doesn't say much for our blocking.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Shouldn't Steve be apologizing to us?

Sarkisian's just a freaking mess.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Gordon and Oliver have both proved to me that they can be good to great starters.
                          Speaking of Oliver, he was an awfully impressive player last year prior to the line falling apart. His game started to go south when defenders were in his face as soon as he took handoffs. I think if the line's play improves we'll see the return of a very good back.

Comment

Working...
                          X