The Elephant in the Room: Kenneth Murray.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Murray led the team in tackles as a rookie, only played 3 games healthy his 2nd year.
    I have no doubt that he's a decent starting ILB when he's not on IR or playing limited snaps in a bad ankle.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

He could join the lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggg list of players who were great in college but did not make it in the pros.

I hope he comes alive this year, he is on the Chargers so I root for him, he just needs to get it together, like now.
      Exactly. Hopefully this is the year it clicks for him.
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Fluent in Sarcasm
        • Jun 2013
        • Iowa
        • Man of the People
        • Send PM

Even as a rookie it took Murray most of the season to really figure it out and produce consistently. Last season he didn’t have time to really find his place in the defense with the injuries and then being forced to play edge due to lack of depth there. The guys is 1 injury-filled season past setting a team rookie record in tackles, I don’t feel the same disappointment in him as a player that most of you seem to.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Oklahoma
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I agree that the 5man front may best serve Murray and Tillery the best, but is what is best for 2 very marginal players what is best for the Chargers D overall? Players like James are worth scheming the rest of the defense around, but you do it around the best players, not fringe players.

And it depends on what you mean as starting? If by starter you mean have a spot in the base 34 D, then I agree. But if you mean the personnel groups that will be on the field the majority of the time, then I'm not sure. They didn't pay SJD and Johnson millions to sit on the sidelines.
          On first down with the roster as is I am kind of expecting a 5 man front with Tillery in there(subject to the draft). Should be be stout against the run now with the new additions.
          Tillery plas 5 man fronts and passing downs only.

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

I dont like his tackling technique...he goes too high on too many tackles and it's just gonna lead to guys ducking under his arm and using his momentum to throw him aside.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
              I dont like his tackling technique...he goes too high on too many tackles and it's just gonna lead to guys ducking under his arm and using his momentum to throw him aside.
              Any guy he gets a hold of at 200 lbs or less he just treats them like a ragdoll!

:2cents:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SuperCharged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Utah
                • Midnight Toker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                I got that as well. Hopefully this will be his breakout. I would to see him shoot a gap and drop someone in the backfield.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

On first down with the roster as is I am kind of expecting a 5 man front with Tillery in there(subject to the draft). Should be be stout against the run now with the new additions.
                  Tillery plas 5 man fronts and passing downs only.
                  Tillery has to learn to use his hands and strike out against the OL and stop letting the OL hit him first. It's not an even vs odd front thing, it is a stop sucking thing. He is ineffective vs OL because he is either unable to strike out and unwilling to. Put him in whatever front you want, unless he starts playing with better technique, he is still going to suck. He is not getting blown off the line and pushed into the secondary because he is getting double teamed, which is the big advantage of the 5 man front.

Tillery has a lot of physical skills, but he has to suck it up or he will be looking for a new team this time next season. His 5th year option is close to $11 mill for the following season, so I can't see the Chargers picking his option up. They can still re-sign him, but he has to play well, which he just seems unable to do (consistently). Hopefully having 2 good DT and 2 all pro DE/OLB around him will convivence him to really work on his technique and help him in his film work. He does a poor job of reading plays as they develop, but if he was in the middle of the action he can and does make some plays. But mostly he gets knocked back into the LB and gets in the way. For a big guy who plays with such good pad level, it is pretty disappointing.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

I'm reading chatter about Murray having surgery NOW???

Yeah, Murray apparently had surgery today for something, maybe not too severe and nothing worth writing about?

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

I don’t see him improving this season. So many of his gaffes last season were so damn obvious. The gaffe to stellar play ratio wasn’t impressive. Switching him to the other side during games, he was just as laughably ineffective. TT keeps him based on his relatively high selection and his “supposed” monster physique, nothing else. TT should cut bait and take the hurt to his reputation. I guarantee you that if he’s gotten rid of and picked up elsewhere, he will not have some kind of miraculous transformation.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Let the record show that Kenneth Murray waits until April 7 to have ankle surgery. The guy who probably needed OTA’s and camp most will now probably be held out or less than full speed. Smh

Comment

• Air Coryell
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2021
                          • Carlsbad, CA
                          • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                          • Send PM

Had ankle surgery today. Pretty puzzling that this procedure wasn't done 2-3 months ago. Not a good look for him or the Chargers.

Comment

Working...
                          X