Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    Nope. Offense had the chance to make it to the playoffs, did not get it done.
    Are you serious?

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Are you serious?
      ???

Did you not see the OT game in LV? D held them to a FG, and our “playoff” O …..

Oh yeah, we had a chance (courtesy of our terrible D), and lost. Dead serious.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        Are you serious?
        I scratch my head at blue's take on this. You can find a myriad of reasons why any game is lost but to focus on the O in a game where we scored 32 points is kind of a strange take to me, especially when they were content to take a tie but we allowed a 10 yard run to set up the game losing fg.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

???

Did you not see the OT game in LV? D held them to a FG, and our “playoff” O …..

Oh yeah, we had a chance (courtesy of our terrible D), and lost. Dead serious.
          We did beat Cle 47 - 42, Pit 41- 37, Cin 41 - 32. Why not LV by 40 something?
          Same reason we lost to Dal, @ Bal, NE, Min, @ Den, @ KC, @ Hou.
          We weren't a complete team our 1st year under Staley.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We did beat Cle 47 - 42, Pit 41- 37, Cin 41 - 32. Why not LV by 40 something?
            Same reason we lost to Dal, @ Bal, NE, Min, @ Den, @ KC, @ Hou.
            We weren't a complete team our 1st year under Staley.
            No, we weren’t. Last time I checked, there were only playoff TEAMS. For lots of reasons (90% of them D related), we were not last year, and situationally the entire team bears responsibility. Ask Herbert if he thinks he could’ve done more.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I scratch my head at blue's take on this. You can find a myriad of reasons why any game is lost but to focus on the O in a game where we scored 32 points is kind of a strange take to me, especially when they were content to take a tie but we allowed a 10 yard run to set up the game losing fg.
              So any game the O has the chance to win at the end, and lays an egg, we should ignore it. Gotcha.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

blueman Forget the Raider game. It should never have come to that game. The Chargers would have clinched a playoff spot weeks before that, if the defense had not been a disaster.

In Houston, the offense scored 29 pts, without Ekeler or KA. But the defense gave up 41 pts to Davis Mills.

The previous week v the Chiefs on TNF, the Chargers' offense scored 28 and were in position to win that game, but a gaffe by Staley and piss-poor defense at the end lost the game.

With just an average defense, the Chargers probably would've beaten the Patriots and Vikings too.

Including the season finale in LV, there are three losses in which the offense did more than enough to win the game, but bad defense (and a bad Staley decision) cost the the Charger wins.

In 2021, the offense scored 474 pts - fifth most - but the defense gave up 459 pts - 29th most. By comparison, the Bengals and Rams' offenses scored fewer points than the Chargers' offense - 460 pts each. But their defenses gave up 376 and 372 pts respectively.

With just an average defense, the Chargers could've easily been 13-4 or 14-3. The offense was good enough to do it.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Yep, you and rich are right, forget any loss that doesn’t support your thesis, sounds like cc.

I don’t think there’s a team in league believes they can’t win in the final moments if given the chance, regardless of record, rankings, box score…you give an NFL QB and his offense the ball with the chance to win at the end, they will try their darndest to win it. And if they don’t they won’t make excuses about stats or the previous 58 minutes. They will simply go home, try and get better and try again next year. Like us.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Yep, you and rich are right, forget any loss that doesn’t support your thesis, sounds like cc.

I don’t think there’s a team in league believes they can’t win in the final moments if given the chance, regardless of record, rankings, box score…you give an NFL QB and his offense the ball with the chance to win at the end, they will try their darndest to win it. And if they don’t they won’t make excuses about stats or the previous 58 minutes. They will simply go home, try and get better and try again next year. Like us.
                    Exactly.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

You can't hope your offense will win each game in the final 2 minutes.
                      Your defense has to do his part, like the win in CIN last year.
                      With our new defense, the 20-16 win at WAS last year would have been a 27-3 win.
                      And the 35-32 loss at VEG would have been a 28-21 win.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Nice bit on Palmer as #1 under the radar breakout player: https://www.chargers.com/news/charge...the-radar-espn

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

The AFC Playoff Field:

Buff Bills 483 pts scored (3rd) | 289 pts allowed (1st)
                          KC Chiefs 480 pts scored (4th) | 364 pts allowed (8th)
                          Patriots 462 pts scored (6th) | 303 pts allowed (2nd)
                          Bengals 460 pts scored (7th) | 376 pts allowed (17th)
                          Tenn Titans 419 pts scored (15th) | 354 pts allowed (6th)
                          LV Raiders 374 pts scored (18th) | 439 pts allowed (26th)
                          Steelers 343 pts scored (21st) | 398 pts allowed (20th)

Chargers 474 pts scored (5th) | 459 pts allowed (29th)

If you are still going to hold onto the POV that the Chargers' offense was part of the problem for why the they didn't make the playoffs, you are not being serious.

The Chargers' offense scored more points than five of the seven playoff teams (and only 9 fewer pts than the leading AFC playoff offense), but the defense gave up more points than any of them, and by a wide margin.

Comment

Working...
                          X