• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Do we know for sure about the findings gathered regarding that correlation? And wasn't that a fan generated conclusion based on his findings for ONE season? And what of other variables such as quality of o-line pass blocking along with who the actual QB's are? Maybe/maybe not I guess. But even if that's a fact does it have any bearing towards QB's like Herbert that are extremely athletic (can evade pressure well to buy WR's more time) and have rocket arms'? I think we need to think about Herbert's abilities more and what that can mean for speedy WR's.
    Hey, why don't we go the other direction and you prove a positive correlation between WR speed and QB production.

PFF and 538 have both put out analysis showing no relation between 40 time and WR production.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Hey, why don't we go the other direction and you prove a positive correlation between WR speed and QB production.

PFF and 538 have both put out analysis showing no relation between 40 time and WR production.
      Based on who as the QB's? And what were they looking for exactly... overall production? Too many variables in that...such as who the WRs were that were examined in that analysis (their particular strengths and weaknesses)/what kind of defense was played on each play/how many of the plays demanded straight-line speed vs. shorter route running/the health or condition of the WR's in the games that were analyzed...etc.

I believe it's common sense that if you have an outlier-like rocket-armed QB and some faster than normal WR's - that can catch the ball consistently - for deep patterns along with excellent route running WR's you will have more yards passing for said QB than if all you had were below average speed WR's. That's common sense to me. I can't believe anyone is actually arguing against it.
      Last edited by Hadl2Alworth; 08-01-2022, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Steve, you said he would throw for more yards and then you say that speed is a lesser quality? What the heck?
        If a guy actually makes the catch, with more speed, they will probably get more yards.

That being said I agree with Blue -> speed doesn't equal the ability to get open. As I said somewhere else, CB who get burned by fast guys have been weeded out long before they get to the NFL. Just like in baseball, batters who can't hit a curve ball don't make it to the majors.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If a guy actually makes the catch, with more speed, they will probably get more yards.

That being said I agree with Blue -> speed doesn't equal the ability to get open. As I said somewhere else, CB who get burned by fast guys have been weeded out long before they get to the NFL. Just like in baseball, batters who can't hit a curve ball don't make it to the majors.
          And one-trick WRs end up at the bottom of the roster. If at all. Kudos to Guyton for doing more than just running fast, but he’s got a ways to go before being more than #4 WR on a non-playoff team. A long ways.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Based on who as the QB's?
            If you read the article the PFF used all the WR in the past 5 years, so it is lots and lots of receivers and QBs.

No one is saying we don't want to get a faster WR. But don't think that if you prioritize speed above EVERYTHING else, you are going to have any more luck than Al Davis did with the Raiders. He prioritized speed above all else and their WRs were horrible. They couldn't get open, but that was kind of a blessing, because for the most part they couldn't catch.

I want us to find the next Tyreek Hill as much as anybody (minus the abuse of kids and women). He is an amazing athlete and he has what amounts to world-class speed. But he isn't a great WR JUST because he is fast. He is a great athlete who developed into a great WR, and by the way, the guy is incredibly fast.

If that were the case Renaldo Nehemiah (World Record holder in the 110 and various indoor hurdle distances) would have been one of the best WR in the history of the NFL. He averaged just over 1 catch per game played, and was not a big part of the 49ers SB team he was on. He was one of the fastest guys in the world when he played.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

And one-trick WRs end up at the bottom of the roster. If at all. Kudos to Guyton for doing more than just running fast, but he’s got a ways to go before being more than #4 WR on a non-playoff team. A long ways.
              I don't think Guyton and/or Palmer are that far away, but it is deceptively hard to make that final step up to being a legit starter quality guy, and neither is there yet. Developing consistency is tough in any field, but the NFL is especially brutal.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The Rams greatest show on Turf had only 1 WR who was fast, Torry Holt, and he wasn't that fast. The others were good to great WR, but they weren't speed demons. Yet, when I watched them, you use to see DB back on their heels, backing up, hesitant because they were afraid these guys were going to burn them at any second. But it wasn't the speed that did it. It was because these guys were great players.

Torry Holt - 4.38 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torry_Holt
                Issac Bruce - 4.48 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Bruce
                Az-Zahir Hakim - 4.45 - https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=22645
                Rickey Proehl - 4.58 - https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=25512

The guys we have are effective downfield receivers. We need at least 1 other WR or another offensive weapon to step up to compliment Ekeler, Allen and Williams. More would be even better. I would love it if we could add that/those weapons with more speed on offense. I just don't think we want to lose sight that it is about adding more weapons for Herbert, and not trying too hard to get a guy that is too this or too that.

Finding great players is hard enough as it is, we don't need to make it even tougher saying we need a guy who has to be exactly this or that. You can't order off the menu, then have Dr. Frankenstein go into the back and build the guy you want.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                  Social Piranha
                  • May 2022
                  • Flyover, USA
                  • Send PM

The Rams greatest show on Turf had only 1 WR who was fast, Torry Holt, and he wasn't that fast. The others were good to great WR, but they weren't speed demons. Yet, when I watched them, you use to see DB back on their heels, backing up, hesitant because they were afraid these guys were going to burn them at any second. But it wasn't the speed that did it. It was because these guys were great players.

Good point. And according to that link, that was Holt’s Pro Day time. Like all Combine times, his was also slower, at 4.44. But man, was that ever one hell of a fun offense to watch.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Every NFL WR is fast.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

The Chargers' offense is a playoff offense, one of the top three in the league, better than most offenses who were in the playoffs last season. Guyton may never be more than a depth WR, but for a #4 on an offense with an RB who is the #3 receiver and multiple TEs who are capable receivers, Guyton is outstanding. He is also becoming a special teams ace. It is players like Guyton - quality depth and special teams play - that championship rosters are made of. So many Chargers teams of the past had Pro Bowl talent, but the lack of depth killed them. The Chargers' offense now is really deep - maybe with the exception of RB, depending on what Stiller does. It's especially deep at WR, the deepest in the league IMO.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Issac Bruce - 4.48 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Bruce
                        Az-Zahir Hakim - 4.45 - https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=22645
                        Rickey Proehl - 4.58 - https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=25512

The guys we have are effective downfield receivers. We need at least 1 other WR or another offensive weapon to step up to compliment Ekeler, Allen and Williams. More would be even better. I would love it if we could add that/those weapons with more speed on offense. I just don't think we want to lose sight that it is about adding more weapons for Herbert, and not trying too hard to get a guy that is too this or too that.
                        What I’ve been saying all off-season. After our starters we have hopes and dreams (I hope Palmer keeps developing, I can dream Guyton does but I think he’s at his ceiling).

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The Chargers' offense is a playoff offense, one of the top three in the league, better than most offenses who were in the playoffs last season. Guyton may never be more than a depth WR, but for a #4 on an offense with an RB who is the #3 receiver and multiple TEs who are capable receivers, Guyton is outstanding. He is also becoming a special teams ace. It is players like Guyton - quality depth and special teams play - that championship rosters are made of. So many Chargers teams of the past had Pro Bowl talent, but the lack of depth killed them. The Chargers' offense now is really deep - maybe with the exception of RB, depending on what Stiller does. It's especially deep at WR, the deepest in the league IMO.
                          Nope. Offense had the chance to make it to the playoffs, did not get it done. But that’s last year, this upcoming season, on paper I agree with you, the new guys solidly make this a playoff offense. Gotta play the games though, scoreboard don’t lie. You seem to agree when you mention depth, you say it’s championship but then add “now” and that makes more sense as we won absolutely nothing last year. And it wasn’t all the Ds fault.

Comment

Working...
                          X