• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
    Can we please let the discussion about the secondary, third down D, or anything related to the defense be carried on in the threads appropriate for those things?

The WR group has potential. Maybe Deandre Carter gets in on the passing game too if he makes the roster.
    Point taken.
    Odds are Carter makes the roster based on his KR status. MW, KA, JP are dead nuts locks, JG close to DNL
    5 WR are probably max. We have other receivers, TE, RB.
    It's going to be tough for WRs. There'll be some decent cuts, competition for practice squad.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Point taken.
      Odds are Carter makes the roster based on his KR status. MW, KA, JP are dead nuts locks, JG close to DNL
      5 WR are probably max. We have other receivers, TE, RB.
      It's going to be tough for WRs. There'll be some decent cuts, competition for practice squad.
      I remain skeptical on Reed. Carter is more likely due to return skills. I doubt Reed offers anything at WR5 that Carter doesn’t bring but lets pad them up and see.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I remain skeptical on Reed. Carter is more likely due to return skills. I doubt Reed offers anything at WR5 that Carter doesn’t bring but lets pad them up and see.
        Right. It remains open for someone to jump ahead but unlikely.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

I think Guyton could become a Deebo type dual threat receiver/ball carrier. He's about the same size and he's got sub 4.4 speed. He's carried the ball before and we've seen his lethal capabilities as a deep ball threat. Go back and review some of the plays he made v. the Bengals. That game was sort of his coming out party. He's just entering his prime going into 2022. The only question is, we he see enough touches/targets to reach his full potential?

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            I think Guyton could become a Deebo type dual threat receiver/ball carrier. He's about the same size and he's got sub 4.4 speed. He's carried the ball before and we've seen his lethal capabilities as a deep ball threat. Go back and review some of the plays he made v. the Bengals. That game was sort of his coming out party. He's just entering his prime going into 2022. The only question is, we he see enough touches/targets to reach his full potential?
            Don’t see this happening at all. But heck, give him a chance. Give all the guys a chance!

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Guyton has great contact balance, but I do not see him playing RB from the backfield like Samuel does for SF.

We do have a player on our roster that I would like to see that from and that is Joe Reed. Samuel and Reed are very similar (bigger, thicker body types--better for RB) in size (6 feet, 216 pounds for Samuel versus 6 feet, 224 pounds for Reed), speed (4.48 for Samuel versus 4.47 for Reed) and cutting ability, though Samuel has established himself as a much better receiver at this point. If Reed is good at that as I think he can be (he carried the ball 5 times for 29 yards and a TD for us in 2020), then I would prefer that we keep 6 WRs on the 53-man roster as we always used to do until last year. Reed also can serve as a backup return man, so he has some value there as well. (I would be fine getting rid of one of our QBs not named Herbert to make that happen. Stick is pretty useless and Daniel is not much better.)

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Guyton has great contact balance, but I do not see him playing RB from the backfield like Samuel does for SF.

We do have a player on our roster that I would like to see that from and that is Joe Reed. Samuel and Reed are very similar (bigger, thicker body types--better for RB) in size (6 feet, 216 pounds for Samuel versus 6 feet, 224 pounds for Reed), speed (4.48 for Samuel versus 4.47 for Reed) and cutting ability, though Samuel has established himself as a much better receiver at this point. If Reed is good at that as I think he can be (he carried the ball 5 times for 29 yards and a TD for us in 2020), then I would prefer that we keep 6 WRs on the 53-man roster as we always used to do until last year. Reed also can serve as a backup return man, so he has some value there as well. (I would be fine getting rid of one of our QBs not named Herbert to make that happen. Stick is pretty useless and Daniel is not much better.)
                3rd time’s a charm … I’ve been reading this Reed dual-threat story since he was drafted. Is this his 3rd year or 4th?

Getting rid of QB3 to put a different guy in at #53 on the roster doesn’t do anything - #53 isn’t active on game day. He needs to jump ahead in roster value past 6 guys, not 1 QB. If he can’t crack into the #5 on the WR depth chart he’s on the PS even we have 1 QB. If he does, thats great as it means he has improved significantly.

Line em up and go!

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

3rd time’s a charm … I’ve been reading this Reed dual-threat story since he was drafted. Is this his 3rd year or 4th?

Getting rid of QB3 to put a different guy in at #53 on the roster doesn’t do anything - #53 isn’t active on game day. He needs to jump ahead in roster value past 6 guys, not 1 QB. If he can’t crack into the #5 on the WR depth chart he’s on the PS even we have 1 QB. If he does, thats great as it means he has improved significantly.

Line em up and go!
                  Your statement is false. We routinely kept 6 WRs, not 5 until Staley arrived. The sixth WR was not on the practice squad.

Also, we need a major upgrade at our #2 QB position, so it is bad enough that we even need to keep one extra stiff at the QB position, much less two. Honestly, I would love for us to get a guy like Tyler Huntley, who can throw some, run and proved that he could keep his team in games with a chance to win at the NFL level. The theory behind this approach is that such a backup QB would represent a major change that opposing defenses did not prepare to face.

So, we could steal a win in the first (Herbert injury game) because the opposition is not ready to defend a backup like the one I am discussing. And in later games, the QB would be good enough to keep us close regardless of opponent, which is what Huntley did despite the Ravens being all banged up last year.

Stick cannot throw and is not as good at running as the kind of QB I am talking about. Daniel can throw a little, but is not much of a runner at this point in his career. I would cut both if we had the right backup.

And a player like Reed is potentially much more valuable than a player like Stick.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Your statement is false. We routinely kept 6 WRs, not 5 until Staley arrived. The sixth WR was not on the practice squad.

Also, we need a major upgrade at our #2 QB position, so it is bad enough that we even need to keep one extra stiff at the QB position, much less two. Honestly, I would love for us to get a guy like Tyler Huntley, who can throw some, run and proved that he could keep his team in games with a chance to win at the NFL level. The theory behind this approach is that such a backup QB would represent a major change that opposing defenses did not prepare to face.

So, we could steal a win in the first (Herbert injury game) because the opposition is not ready to defend a backup like the one I am discussing. And in later games, the QB would be good enough to keep us close regardless of opponent, which is what Huntley did despite the Ravens being all banged up last year.

Stick cannot throw and is not as good at running as the kind of QB I am talking about. Daniel can throw a little, but is not much of a runner at this point in his career. I would cut both if we had the right backup.

And a player like Reed is potentially much more valuable than a player like Stick.
                    Two things in here too stupid to pass on amidst all of your bloviating gas and misdirection …

1. ”…until Staley arrived”. Who is the coach in 2022? Ok. Staley might keep a 6th if he’s good on ST, but not as a 6th WR.

2. A backup unable to play the same offense as your starting QB is a backup unable to play the same offense as your starting offense. That is a stupid plan. What are you going to do - install and practice two completely different offensive game plans every week with the entire team in the off-chance that QB1 goes down midway thru the game? that is next-level stupid.

Tyler Huntley has a career 76 rating in his limited existence. he started 4 games, and had a 1-3 record. For the season 3 TDs vs 4 Pics in 7 games overall. Will he ever develop and get better - beats me, he’s young. but HE is your guy today? Whoa.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Agreed
                      and I don't think it would be hard to find someone with SOME live reps under his belt.
                      Imo we have the worst of both worlds in Stick and Daniels
                      As individual players they hold value but not much to us if they had to win us a game.
                      Stick is inexperienced and Daniel is old (too experienced?)
                      Huntley is intriguing but I'm thinking more along the line of a vet who we can polish and trade down the line as a starter.

have a feeling Sam Darnold will quickly find himself in that situation. He's young and limited, but mature and from California (So cal?)
                      So it would behoove him to learn the trade under a stud like Herbert.
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

The new rules about the practice squad will change how the 53 is put together. I don't claim to have a handle on just how it's going to work out but it's bound to make a difference to the coaching staff when it's time to cut down. Knowing they can keep some players "protected" will effect those decisions on cut day.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Two things in here too stupid to pass on amidst all of your bloviating gas and misdirection …

1. ”…until Staley arrived”. Who is the coach in 2022? Ok. Staley might keep a 6th if he’s good on ST, but not as a 6th WR.

2. A backup unable to play the same offense as your starting QB is a backup unable to play the same offense as your starting offense. That is a stupid plan. What are you going to do - install and practice two completely different offensive game plans every week with the entire team in the off-chance that QB1 goes down midway thru the game? that is next-level stupid.

Tyler Huntley has a career 76 rating in his limited existence. he started 4 games, and had a 1-3 record. For the season 3 TDs vs 4 Pics in 7 games overall. Will he ever develop and get better - beats me, he’s young. but HE is your guy today? Whoa.
                          1. So, you think head coaches never change player distributions at positions from one year to the next to fit the strengths and weaknesses of the team's roster? I am simply telling you that our team has more often kept 6 WRs than 5, so there would be nothing abnormal about Staley keeping 6 WRs if Reed shows well in the preseason because he is not cutting any of the top 5 WRs on the roster. And sure, some of the WRs may be key special teams contributors. I never suggested anything to the contrary. I just said that we had a history of keeping 6 WRs instead of 5 until Staley arrived last year. And one year under Staley does not prove that he will always keep only 5 WRs.

2. Regarding Huntley, his INT% last year was lower than Herbert's, so your emphasis on his INTs is misplaced. As for the games he started, his injury riddled Ravens lost by 1 against GB (a 13 win team) and lost by 1 against LAR a 12 team that won the Super Bowl). They lost in OT against PIT after losing in regulation to PIT with Jackson at QB. When Jackson got injured, he left with the Ravens trailing CLE 10-0. Huntley got the Ravens to within 2 and they had the ball at the end of the gam with a chance to win. Close losses against good teams in the QB's first few starts with an injury riddled team is actually a pretty encouraging sign for Huntley. It is not as if Herbert did not have similar close loss experiences against good teams in some of his first few games (KC, TB and NO come to mind).

The whole point of having a guy like Huntley is that the team would install a smaller set of plays just for him before the season begins that would be very different than the plays called for Herbert. Lombardi's playbook is large and the Saints ran plays for Taysom Hill out of their offense. I am not too worried about his passer rating in but a few starts. That would improve with more experience. Also, Huntley's running ability would be an offset for any lack of passing efficiency.

It would be very difficult for a team to adjust to Huntley after preparing for Herbert as Huntley runs with the ball much more frequently per snap than Herbert does. The last a team should want with its backup QB is for him to be a similar, but watered down version of the starting QB, for which the opponent has already prepared.

Finally, one of the pluses about a guy like Huntley versus more of a big name QB is that Huntley is likely to be far less expensive than guys like Mayfield, Darnold, Garoppolo and Mariota, but every bit as good.

Comment

Working...
                          X