• Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

We will see it this year.
    The Chargers without rush def. last year : 9-8, no PO.
    With rush def. this year : I predict 12-5, AFCW crown.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

LB KVN very good, Tranquill, solid, Reeder serviceable vet. K9 is a big MAYBE. Amen & Neiman good prospects.
      CB Mr Int elite, Asante very good, Davis decent starter, Callahan good vet, Taylor or Leonard 4.3 speed
      KVN also plays Edge.

I'm concerned about special teams. Last year's biggest issues were STs and run D.
      Run D should be at least avg or better with Bash, A Johnson, Tito and Fox.
      STs are tough to figure. We hired a new coach, pro bowl LS, vet P, vet WR/KR, drafted more cover speed., potential return speed.
      It's an eclectic group to assemble and get quality play from but they do have the HC's attention.

It's one hand washes the other re the different units. We have a lot of talented vets & youth, several elite.
      20 days and it starts coming together.
      (or not )
      Our pass D was horrid with even one starter down as well. Its just teams found smash mouthing us with the rush so easy, they didn’t always need to exploit it. But several games were lost with back 7 collapse in the defense coupled with no pass rush as teams just double and tripled Joey. This will be a major change this year. 2 elite edge rushers. Much better DB group. LB group is better. I can see going from ~#30 to inside top 15 or even top 10.

ST - i just don’t know what we have. New punter is statistically a slight upgrade, Long was really bad. PK - meh we are ok but I’m not that confident. Cover teams - better depth usually means better cover.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        We will see it this year.
        The Chargers without rush def. last year : 9-8, no PO.
        With rush def. this year : I predict 12-5, AFCW crown.
        I see the same. Everyone simply slots teams based on last year. This ain’t last year’s team.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

I don't buy it.
          Run defense is very important.
          It allows many 3rd and long
          When you have a pretty good secondary
          It's a paradise !
          Obviously, in the game of inches, everything is important. But I think most of the statistical work that has been done ranks 3rd down D as more important. And it is worth remembering 3rd down D includes both run and pass D. If a team is facing a lot of 3rd and short conversions, then it is reasonable to presume that many of those situations are going to be runs.

However, if you had to rank which is more important, run D or 3rd down D, then playing good pass D on 3rd down has to be right up there. Some teams do really well without being good on 3rd downs (on offense), but usually those are teams that are very explosive, so presumably the same is true of 3rd D.

There have been plenty of solid run D that wear down if the opposing offense can keep the ball and just keep plugging away and converting 3rd downs, and keeping the D on the field.

As far as making the other teams offense one-dimensional, which makes it much easier to play D overall, getting a big lead is the best way to get the other team to stop running the ball (much). Running the ball averages fewer yards per play, and usually running teams score a lot fewer points, because they often stop themselves with penalties and mistakes, or even just bad play here or there. But that only helps if our offense can consistently score points and stop the other team enough to get the lead, or the other offense will just keep running at D and keep wearing down an average or below average run D, making it weaker and weaker as the game progresses.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Our pass D was horrid with even one starter down as well. Its just teams found smash mouthing us with the rush so easy, they didn’t always need to exploit it. But several games were lost with back 7 collapse in the defense coupled with no pass rush as teams just double and tripled Joey. This will be a major change this year. 2 elite edge rushers. Much better DB group. LB group is better. I can see going from ~#30 to inside top 15 or even top 10.

ST - i just don’t know what we have. New punter is statistically a slight upgrade, Long was really bad. PK - meh we are ok but I’m not that confident. Cover teams - better depth usually means better cover.
            Season pass D results were NFL average. Some good games, some bad. Lack of depth was a major issue.
            Run D was not avg.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Season pass D results were NFL average. Some good games, some bad. Lack of depth was a major issue.
              Run D was not avg.
              I agree rush D was worse but the Chargers were 20th in pass yards per game, which isn’t average its below average. they were 21st in yards per attempt. Lack of depth was key - anytime one of the starters went out, there was a glaring weakness which teams often exploited. We have a much better DB group this year. I think.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree rush D was worse but the Chargers were 20th in pass yards per game, which isn’t average its below average. they were 21st in yards per attempt. Lack of depth was key - anytime one of the starters went out, there was a glaring weakness which teams often exploited. We have a much better DB group this year. I think.
                League avg pass ypg allowed @ 211, LAC 221. They were below avg by 10 ypg.

A simple grouping is 10 best - 12 avg - 10 worst. LAC was in the low end of avg.
                This year's DBs have more skills and depth on paper. At least some, if not most will have a positive effect.
                Last edited by sonorajim; 07-10-2022, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                  Social Piranha
                  • May 2022
                  • Flyover, USA
                  • Send PM

100% agree with the others on this thread jumping on the Josh Palmer wagon. Although he didn't get much opportunity to show it last year, I absolutely believe he can become a viable, or at least underrated, deep option. 4.5 is nothing to scoff at when combined with his advanced route running & solid acceleration. Additionally, note that his arm length (33") and hand size (9.4") are near identical to those of big Mike Williams. Simply put. he can gain separation. And let's not forget what he did at Tennessee vs legit SEC talent, despite wildly inconsistent QB play. Pat Surtain, Tyson Campbell, Eric Stokes, & Jaycee Horn can all attest to Palmer's ability to get deep.

Recall his route running ability from Senior Bowl practices

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                    The Precious
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
                    100% agree with the others on this thread jumping on the Josh Palmer wagon. Although he didn't get much opportunity to show it last year, I absolutely believe he can become a viable, or at least underrated, deep option. 4.5 is nothing to scoff at when combined with his advanced route running & solid acceleration. Additionally, note that his arm length (33") and hand size (9.4") are near identical to those of big Mike Williams. Simply put. he can gain separation. And let's not forget what he did at Tennessee vs legit SEC talent, despite wildly inconsistent QB play. Pat Surtain, Tyson Campbell, Eric Stokes, & Jaycee Horn can all attest to Palmer's ability to get deep.

Recall his route running ability from Senior Bowl practices
                    I love this guy and I remember a couple of catches last year where the strong hands were a factor especially coming off a Justin Herbert fastball. They weren’t deep routes just tough catches in traffic. I was impressed.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

I love this guy and I remember a couple of catches last year where the strong hands were a factor especially coming off a Justin Herbert fastball. They weren’t deep routes just tough catches in traffic. I was impressed.
                      Me as well. Herbert too I suspect.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Palmer is 6'1'', 210. Pretty good size I like him and Guyton as well. If needed, Palmer could fill Allen's role. I don't think Guyton could do that. We should be good at the WR position
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Obviously, in the game of inches, everything is important. But I think most of the statistical work that has been done ranks 3rd down D as more important. And it is worth remembering 3rd down D includes both run and pass D. If a team is facing a lot of 3rd and short conversions, then it is reasonable to presume that many of those situations are going to be runs.

However, if you had to rank which is more important, run D or 3rd down D, then playing good pass D on 3rd down has to be right up there. Some teams do really well without being good on 3rd downs (on offense), but usually those are teams that are very explosive, so presumably the same is true of 3rd D.

There have been plenty of solid run D that wear down if the opposing offense can keep the ball and just keep plugging away and converting 3rd downs, and keeping the D on the field.

As far as making the other teams offense one-dimensional, which makes it much easier to play D overall, getting a big lead is the best way to get the other team to stop running the ball (much). Running the ball averages fewer yards per play, and usually running teams score a lot fewer points, because they often stop themselves with penalties and mistakes, or even just bad play here or there. But that only helps if our offense can consistently score points and stop the other team enough to get the lead, or the other offense will just keep running at D and keep wearing down an average or below average run D, making it weaker and weaker as the game progresses.
                          Good to know. LAC was worst 3rd dn D- #32. Den bad - #28, KC below avg- #22, LVR avg- #16.

Comment

Working...
                          X