Is that the best you've ever seen of Rivers?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

You can't understand why we don't try and run? Really? Have you even watched us this season? At all? Maybe it is because we can't fucking block. If you want to run the ball, blocking run defenders is a must, and we suck balls at it.

The runs we did try were to slow the pass rush for the passing plays, and to eat the clock up. We had no chance of scoring on the ground. NONE. We can't run block well enough to run in the open field, but the inside run on the goalline, when they are going to have leverage? You are HOPING it will work. What reason do you have to think it would, you know, actually work?

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      You can't understand why we don't try and run? Really? Have you even watched us this season? At all? Maybe it is because we can't fucking block. If you want to run the ball, blocking run defenders is a must, and we suck balls at it.

The runs we did try were to slow the pass rush for the passing plays, and to eat the clock up. We had no chance of scoring on the ground. NONE. We can't run block well enough to run in the open field, but the inside run on the goalline, when they are going to have leverage? You are HOPING it will work. What reason do you have to think it would, you know, actually work?
      I have no problem with not running it at the goal line since they suck at it. However, if they do want to run it, I want to see them try to pound it in to at least give them a chance, not this finesse crap. In any event if the conclusion is that they can't run it in then just throw it four times. Don't waste two downs with plays that have no chance to score.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

I was just glad to see the coaches put the ball in our best players hands. We can't run, so let's stop trying to be a running team.

Maybe if we get some linemen back, we'll be able to run more successfully, but until then... keep letting it fly.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• captaind
          Cook This Pork Chops
          • Jun 2013
          • Mars
          • Ball Holder
          • Send PM

Rivers is leading the NFL by over 350 yards. Speaks for itself.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Rivers is on pace to pass for 5643 yards this season, which would break Mannings record of 5477.

I don't think he'll come close to it as I think as the oline gets healthy we'll be able to run better and be more balanced. If we don't, I worry he can stand the pounding having to pass it that much.

Comment

• Boltergeist
              Pesky apparition
              • Jun 2013
              • Baja Oklahoma
              • Send PM

I would have loved to have seen the fade to Green that we used against Cincy in the playoffs instead of one of the run attempts.

Comment

• Iowachargers
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Dow City, Iowa
                • Send PM

I actually thought the defense played pretty well. Being way ahead on TOP helped, but they did force three straight three and outs against GREEN BAY.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                  I have no problem with not running it at the goal line since they suck at it. However, if they do want to run it, I want to see them try to pound it in to at least give them a chance, not this finesse crap. In any event if the conclusion is that they can't run it in then just throw it four times. Don't waste two downs with plays that have no chance to score.
                  What chance? If we can't run it as a finesse team, what chance do we have trying to pound it?

Comment

• TTK
                    EX-Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • America's Finest City
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    What chance? If we can't run it as a finesse team, what chance do we have trying to pound it?
                    There's your answer then. Throw it four times. Stop wasting downs trying to run when you can't.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

That's so simple yet if it were true many teams would have done it already and the running game would have been forgotten by now. THIS team needs to stop treating it like a nessisary evil. I had thought the investment in Gordon demonstrated a change in that thinking. Had thought...

Now I think the draft pick was to sell tickets, like TT was forced to draft a splash player and make due with the oline and dline.

The run game starts with blocking and this team can not run block. Is that on coaching system mind set or something elce? Figure that out and Rivers can handle the rest.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        Now I think the draft pick was to sell tickets, like TT was forced to draft a splash player and make due with the oline and dline.
                        I don't buy this. McCoy and Reich said more than once this past offseason that they wanted to be more balanced running than last year, closer to 50-50 run-pass. We drafted one of the two best RBs in the draft. We resigned Dunlap and kept Robinson for depth. We signed Franklin who was the best LG available to replace our weakest link on the line. We added Barksdale and moved Fluker to RG where many here have said for a long time he is better suited. While a lot here don't like Watt, they seem very high on him. On paper, our line should have been upgraded a lot over last year with better depth. And it may turn out that way if they ever get healthy. Now Gordon has no where to run and must overcome the fumbling. I don't believe for a minute the team would draft a player just to make a splash and sell tickets.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

The problem with the idea of "making due" with patchwork OL and drafting a splashy player is who would we have drafted? Brandon Schereff is about the only rookie OL who is playing that well, and even that is questionable. The proliferation of spread in college football means you have a lot of college OL who are a couple years away from contributing, even the high 1st round picks. Look back at Luke Jockel, Lane Johnson, Eric Fischer.... Top picks who are struggling their way through their early careers, but may develop later if they survive long enough.

They drafted Gordon because he was an impact player at a position of need (sort of a need). But like all rookies, he is going to take time to develop. People need to get used to the idea of taking time and watching their rookies develop, because until we do that, we are going to continue to keep making the same free agent mistakes. It just takes time, and that time is only going to take longer and longer since college football seems to ignore fundamentals and just focus on spread shortcuts. Players at all positions are just asked to go out and out athlete the other guy, and anywhere you can't do that, rely on the fact that everyone is so spread out that your best athletes will beat their best athletes.

Comment

Working...
                          X