• Show
Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
    Accountability. Something should be done to show these results are unacceptable. If they are not going anywhere firing him doesn't hurt either. Miami seems to have improved.....

We are 3-8 in our last 11 games. This 9-7 crap is unacceptable we could have continued that with Norv and AJ and now 9-7 is a hopeful dream. Losing to the Raiders like that at home and the overall trend we have seen is enough to fire the guy now.
    I'm of the opinion that they're not going to LA next year (or ever) but the possibility exists so I think a lot of people have the similar mindset as me. And that is: Who cares about the future of this team right now? Right now all I can really care about is 2015. If they leave for LA next year, they can keep McCoy, Reich, Pagano, Butler, Reyes and all the other scrubs on the team for all I care.

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
      And what Coach and Coaching staff would want to jump into this mess? Disgruntled fan base, Re-location, 16 'away' games a year and a wishy washy douche for an owner. The only hires you'll get at this point are 3rd tier college guys that just want to add NFL Coach to their resume. The USC job is much more attractive job than Charger HC, hell MM should resign to take over for the Trojans.
      Exactly. The uncertain future of this team makes it probably one of the least attractive positions right now. And we all know our cheapass owner won't hire a top-notch proven (read: expensive) coach anyway.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Chargers need to use Melvin Gordon and commit to running the football
        4h
        Emailcomment

Melvin Gordon, who didn't play until the second half on Sunday, finished with 29 rushing yards. AP Photo/Denis Poroy
        Eric D. Williams, ESPN Staff Writer
        SAN DIEGO -- Although limited during practice last week due to an ankle injury, rookie running back Melvin Gordon tested it out with the training staff before Sunday's game against Oakland and was declared healthy.

But the San Diego Chargers’ rookie running back didn’t see the field until the second half, with his team down 37-6 and the game basically decided. Second-year pro Branden Oliver made his second straight start.

“I felt pretty good,” Gordon said. “You’ll have to ask the head coach what their plan was. Maybe he thought a healthier Bo [Branden Oliver] was what was best for the team. I don’t know.”

Mike McCoy said Gordon remaining on the sidelines on Sunday wasn’t a continuation of his punishment for fumbling against the Green Bay Packers a week ago. That led to a second-half benching.

“We’re trying to win a football game,” McCoy said. “We’re not trying to punish people from week to week in a game. We’re trying to win a football here. That’s what we’re trying to do -- win.”

The Chargers finished with 90 yards rushing, but most of the came in the second half with the game already decided.

“I hate watching,” Gordon said. “It doesn’t sit well with me watching my teammates try to go out there and make plays and I’m on the sideline looking helpless, when I know I could help change things out there.”

McCoy said his team is committed to running the football, but the Chargers threw it 65 times against Green Bay a week ago, and followed that up by tossing it around 58 times against the Raiders.

This offseason, the Chargers made moves in free agency and in the draft with a nod toward improving the run game. They re-signed left tackle King Dunlap to a four-year, $28 million contract and brought in guard Orlando Franklin on a five-year, $36.5 million deal.

San Diego general manager Tom Telesco also added more depth up front by signing offensive linemen Joe Barksdale and Chris Hairston to one-year deals in free agency.

But the centerpiece was drafting Gordon with the team’s first draft pick, giving up a fourth-round selection this year and a fifth rounder in 2016 to move up to take the University of Wisconsin product.

Yet, in a game the Chargers needed to win in order to remain in playoff contention, a healthy Gordon did not see the field in the first half. McCoy explained Gordon’s absence in the opening half as things going according to his plan, and that the Chargers were trying to win a football game.

After looking unprepared and falling behind 37-6 to the Raiders, you would think McCoy’s strategy of winning a football game would include the team’s first-round selection from this year’s draft.

Quarterback Philip Rivers echoed McCoy, saying the Chargers couldn’t lean on the run game down 23-3, even with over half of the game left.

“Last week, when you’re averaging nine [yards] a pass, I think we should throw it,” Rivers said. “This week when you’re down 20, it’s hard to run it. You’re down 20 and we did mix in the run. But I don’t think we were in a position where we could run it and have an 18-play, 8-minute drive. We had to go.”

The Chargers can’t build a sustainable winner without having balance on offense and running the football.

You only have to look back two years earlier to see how it worked for McCoy’s Chargers. During San Diego’s four-game winning streak at the end of the season (that led to a playoff berth), Ryan Mathews averaged 118 rushing yards a contest.

San Diego’s ability to run the football took pressure of Rivers to carry the entire offense. And the Chargers have to get back to that balance if they want to turn the season around.

Defenses want to make teams one dimensional by stopping the run and forcing them to pass. But before Sunday's game even started, the Chargers had already done that for them by focusing on throwing the football.

Even a newcomer like receiver Stevie Johnson understands that.

“Philip is a legend and we’re asking him to do a lot,” Johnson said. “Whether that’s good or bad -- it is what it is. He can handle it, but I think to be a good team you have to be balanced with passing and runs.”
        Go Rivers!

Comment

You're right. Firing McCoy and Telesco wouldn't save the season, an interim head coach wouldn't help right now. But it would show the next coach and GM that mediocrity will not be tolerated. But unfortunately that's what this team is and always has been, and sounds like the fans are fine with.

This team needs leadership, it needs a big time kick in the ass, with tough players.

Do you think Bill Belicheck is just lucky with his picks, or has a better eye for players? Or are you like me and believe he built a culture and knows how to COACH players and fit them in his system.

I heard an interview a few weeks ago from a former patriot, that said they were so well prepared and coached they could tell the opposing players across the line what they were gonna do and they would still execute it because they were fucking that good and well prepared.

This organization cares about making money, and controlling the people they hire. And no top tier coach that gives a shit will be brought here because they will see right through it. Just like the Mannings did.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Well maybe you should continue to sit on the bench until you do know.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

You think Jacoby Jones would still be on this team if Belicheat was the HC? We are better with nobody back to receive kickoffs than Jones with his returns to the 15.

And 3 yards in punt returns for the year? 7 games in? Pathetic. And return coverage? More pathetic.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

And what is this, 5 years in a row that we aren't able to run block? Isn't run blocking job #1 in the NFL? Or maybe job #2 since holding onto the ball is even more critical. And an even more critical failure for this team.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

They drafted Fluker last year and that was a non-sexy pick so I'm convinced now that TT's hand was forced to make a splash pick this year because the fan base needed something to get excited about.

The Gordon pick makes no sense considering the offense that we're running but the blame has to go onto McCoy for not changing things up to find a way to maximize Gordon's talents. That's supposed to be his strong suit.

Comment

• TTK
                    EX-Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • America's Finest City
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    And what is this, 5 years in a row that we aren't able to run block? Isn't run blocking job #1 in the NFL? Or maybe job #2 since holding onto the ball is even more critical. And an even more critical failure for this team.
                    Joe D is overrated.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

We have fired a 14-2 head coach followed by a 9-7 head coach.

I do not see McCoy winning enough games to get fired this year.

I here all day folks...
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
                        You're right. Firing McCoy and Telesco wouldn't save the season, an interim head coach wouldn't help right now. But it would show the next coach and GM that mediocrity will not be tolerated. But unfortunately that's what this team is and always has been, and sounds like the fans are fine with.

This team needs leadership, it needs a big time kick in the ass, with tough players.

Do you think Bill Belicheck is just lucky with his picks, or has a better eye for players? Or are you like me and believe he built a culture and knows how to COACH players and fit them in his system.

I heard an interview a few weeks ago from a former patriot, that said they were so well prepared and coached they could tell the opposing players across the line what they were gonna do and they would still execute it because they were fucking that good and well prepared.

This organization cares about making money, and controlling the people they hire. And no top tier coach that gives a shit will be brought here because they will see right through it. Just like the Mannings did.
                        About the two bolded parts above:

1) I remember that being said about Marty's team - they were just gonna run LT down your throat, everyone knew it but they executed and were able to get it done. Before everyone says "yeah, that was LT", they had a great offensive line and a great blocking back in LoNeal. They had a system, the personnel to execute it, and most importantly, coaches that could coach it. Even though he choked in the playoff game, they missed Marty real bad, he built something here they've never had since.

2) As much as it pains me to say it, Archie was right. He saw through the Spanoses bullshit. Still hate Eli though.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                          SLAM DUNK!
                          • Jun 2013
                          • East County San Diego
                          • Bolt fanatic
                          • Send PM

McCoy emphatically stated he has the players to win. Even he knows he should be fired.

The handling of Gordon is a complete cluster fuck. Dude jokes about benching him if he ever fumbles and then benches him for 2 games basically because he fumbled.

All passing and no running is a bad plan. There is no commitment to run the ball. The defense is a comedy of mental mistakes.
                          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Working...
                          X