Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    I don't disagree, but that's what the Browns are doing. They hired a baseball stats guy for their Chief Strategy Officer, Paul DePodesta. Joe Banner and the Browns beat writer confirmed the coach requirement, even though they are interviewing the traditional coaches. They want someone who is willing to say "ok" when the front office makes a personnel move that wasn't vetted by the coaching staff.
    Paul DePodesta is a pretty smart guy, but I don't know enough about him to know if he is an analytics guy or a baseball guy who uses analytics (big difference between the two). I know his academic training is in the hazy area about economics and decision making/evaluating value of "things/players", which is pretty cutting edge as economic goes, even though DePedesto has been working in baseball for the last 20+ years. Time will tell if this experiment works.

To me the big issue will be if the Browns are just desperate to try something new or they really want to build a franchise around new methods? The A's got a lot of mileage out of analytics, but in the end it never got them a championship partly because the real brains was Billy Beane trading like crazy at the trade deadline and rebuilding the team in time for the playoffs every year. Once he scared off teams because of how he was basically manipulating them, it leveled the playing field. Then teams starting using analytics and got rid of a lot of their misconceptions and it got much more even.

I think the best teams will be the ones that use analytical methods to constantly reevaluate the game and how they play it, but then selectively use new methods to supplement the old when building their teams. BUt the number of checks and balances, and interacting pieces makes using statistics alone in football almost impossible.

Comment

• chargerkdb
      Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
      • Send PM

Econometrics

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Econo Lodge Istics
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

El Cabongers!
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            They were discussing on the radio on how it will be hard to hire good assistant coaches with a HC with one year left on his contract.
            Spanos repeating their Norv mistake once again.

You don't go into a season with a lame duck coach. The one single decision to keep Marty as a lame duck and then fire him a month later has haunted this team for a decade and thrown away Rivers career
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Too true. What quality coordinator or assistant coach will want to be on a staff that could be churned like butter this time next year...
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                Too true. What quality coordinator or assistant coach will want to be on a staff that could be churned like butter this time next year...
                It's true, bringing in poor assistant coaches leads to poor performance. As I learned early in my career, never be associated with a failure.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

what makes you think The Spanii were ever concerned about hiring Quality Coordinators or coaches? Would break the mold and they'd have to open up the bank vault. Yes Men that work cheap or retreads still being paid by another team is how we roll!
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                    what makes you think The Spanii were ever concerned about hiring Quality Coordinators or coaches? Would break the mold and they'd have to open up the bank vault. Yes Men that work cheap or retreads still being paid by another team is how we roll!
                    I would never acuse a business owner with intentionally diminishing his own brand.

Go Rivers!

Comment

• floydefisher
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • siberiacuse, ny
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                      they thought they fixed the OL last offseason, and the season before. Unfortunately, the Spanos history on that is a preference for turd polishing, hoping for good luck, and an occasional draft pick of 3rd round or higher. A true rebuild would require a real center and at least 3 blue chip players acquired somehow and stop all the musical chairs so guys actually learn to be good at 1 position and then all play together awhile.
                      Yes, I know....ironically, there was a plan in place to build and develop a line around young guys like Fluker and Watt, and it got flushed by injuries.

This time, it may finally happen....the oline coach got canned, let's hope more changes are afoot.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Maybe one who thinks he has a shot to get the gig when the current head man is let go? And you have to look at the competition.....Cleveland- fires the coaching staff every 18 months on average, Tampa - fired the staff after 2 years, Philly, SF, Miami, none of these loser teams offer much longevity. Also working with Rivers is a good thing for an offensive coach's resume. I keep reading that Reich will get a job quickly because he coordinated a 'top ten' offense. Top ten in yards maybe. And a lot of that was Rivers.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 5 minutes ago

Chargers were in mix to coach Senior Bowl for first time since 2004. It's been decided they won't. Team has six vacancies on coaching staff

Comment

Working...
                          X