Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
    I heard it reported on locked on LA Chargers podcast that Chargers are like one of 3 teams Peyton would be interested in coming out of retirement for.

so your saying there’s a chance

to be clear I like Staley but likability and culture don’t mean squat if you miss the playoffs two years in a row with Justin Herbert. This is an IF thread and if your worried and don’t like this thread because your worried about jinxes you just might stupidstitious

failing this year would be an epic disaster and heads will have to roll. In that situation hiring Peyton would restore my hope
    I think the only way Payton would become coach is if Staley proved himself to be an absolute disaster this season. If the offense or defense underperforms and the Chargers miss the playoffs, and Staley makes some questionable decisions that are perceived to have cost wins, and if he shows he's in over his head, then yes I could see Payton as HC in 2023. I really don't think this is going to happen though.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

I’ve never been a fan of Telesco but this offseason he really stepped up in terms of FA and draft. So, I don’t think a disappointing season is any reason to fire him.

As far as the coaches go, it’s too early to speculate as injuries could take out some key players in crucial games and screw the team.

I’ll wait until half the season has elapsed to size up the coaches and players. But most of it comes down to players. Just look at Staley. He coached the #1 defense one year and had one of the worst the next.

Lombardi is the biggest question mark, IMO. He’s got a loaded offense and no excuses this year. If they stay healthy, they better execute.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
        I’ve never been a fan of Telesco but this offseason he really stepped up in terms of FA and draft. So, I don’t think a disappointing season is any reason to fire him.

As far as the coaches go, it’s too early to speculate as injuries could take out some key players in crucial games and screw the team.

I’ll wait until half the season has elapsed to size up the coaches and players. But most of it comes down to players. Just look at Staley. He coached the #1 defense one year and had one of the worst the next.

Lombardi is the biggest question mark, IMO. He’s got a loaded offense and no excuses this year. If they stay healthy, they better execute.
        I’m not sure Staley has big enough balls to fill Lombo’s empty sack
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• BlazingBolt
          SLAM DUNK!
          • Jun 2013
          • East County San Diego
          • Bolt fanatic
          • Send PM

The main things that we have to overcome to land Payton if Staley fails is the ability of Spanos to pay top dollar to coaching and that Payton would want complete control and Spanos has never seemed to want to go that route. You know because his current way of doing things has always been so successful
          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Maybe Dean can borrow a few bucks from sister Deana?
            G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I think the only way Payton would become coach is if Staley proved himself to be an absolute disaster this season. If the offense or defense underperforms and the Chargers miss the playoffs, and Staley makes some questionable decisions that are perceived to have cost wins, and if he shows he's in over his head, then yes I could see Payton as HC in 2023. I really don't think this is going to happen though.
              Dean’s sons would never give Payton the control he wants. It’s a non starter.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                My expectations going into the Camp is always high, then we get tempered right after the first pre-season game. What happens in the season... it is what it is.
                I remember the year we signed FA OG Franklin, I thought the OL would be better. They were terrible in PS. Philip nearly got killed.
                My expectations were tempered that time.

Just speaking for myself, I don't see much opportunity for tempering other than multiple key starters to IR. Too much known quality & depth.
                Preseason will feature battles for the final roster slots.
                My expectations will be tempered if we look lost vs LVR, can't block, tackle, catch or defend.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                  The main things that we have to overcome to land Payton if Staley fails is the ability of Spanos to pay top dollar to coaching and that Payton would want complete control and Spanos has never seemed to want to go that route. You know because his current way of doing things has always been so successful
                  The Chargers gave HC Staley who he wants at considerable expense. Coaching staff and players by Trade, FA & Draft.
                  If Staley's Chargers are a bust, it would be hard to offer Payton less.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Why? What was wrong with the NFL #5 scoring, NFL #2 passing offense?
                    For me it's still Staley. He got a lot of expensive quality players, his people. The Defense has to show massive improvement.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

I would like some stability at head coaching positions, similar to Pittsburgh

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The Chargers gave HC Staley who he wants at considerable expense. Coaching staff and players by Trade, FA & Draft.
                        If Staley's Chargers are a bust, it would be hard to offer Payton less.
                        Prime Rib is Prime Rib...if Staley burns the steak it's not the steak's fault. I have confidence Staley will not burn the steak.

:coffee:
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Caslon
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                          I would like some stability at head coaching positions, similar to Pittsburgh
                          Which is why if you know TT’s MOA and the Spani, this talk of Payton is just that, musings. No basis in reality. Maybe 2 years from now. If anything, this team has a history of holding on to head coaches too long. Still tho…something to discuss during the summer doldrums.

Comment

Working...
                          X