Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I agree but it's odd to me. Because I'm sure the Spanoses understand $$$ - and surely they must know that a consistent winner will do wonders for the value of their team, no?
    It depends on how much money they are happy making. If they're profitable, with little risk, then maybe that's all they care about (and that's what I suspect). No need to take any more risk if what they're doing is "working".

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

It depends on how much money they are happy making. If they're profitable, with little risk, then maybe that's all they care about (and that's what I suspect). No need to take any more risk if what they're doing is "working".
      I hate this narrative. I 100% feel like the Spanos family wants to win and badly - it only helps them make even more money. What they have shown zero capability to do is to build a winning franchise. Those are very different things, but in the end are the same to us fans.

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2020
        • Send PM

Last 15:
        6-9

Lynn's last season:
        7-9

We got a much better roster than Lynn ever had and Lynn played against some good teams like the Brady Bucs (Super Bowl year), Brees Saints, Daboll Bills, etc. I don't think this year's Chargers team are beating those guys either.

Not saying who's a better/worse coach, but I feel like the "increments" have been marginal.

I can't help but think that the 2020 scheme with this OL (that 2020 OL was outright bad) and weaponry produces better results.

Point is we haven't proven to be a stellar team vs 2020. Marginally better, I buy that, but not night and day by any means. I'd even say 2020 Herbert can pull a win out his bag of tricks vs this current team.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I hate this narrative. I 100% feel like the Spanos family wants to win and badly - it only helps them make even more money. What they have shown zero capability to do is to build a winning franchise. Those are very different things, but in the end are the same to us fans.
          I'm with you on this. I believe, and have stated multiple times, that the Spanos have the best intentions for this franchise; they want to win. But they lack competence. I've known the Spanos family since before they bought the Chargers. They hail from Stockton; I grew up in that area. Dean is a decent person, but all the wealth he has was created by his father. If Dean didn't have a rich dad, he probably would've had a career as a Home Depot associate, or something like that. There's nothing wrong with that, but he's not cut out to manage wealthy or a wealthy business or sports franchise. His two sons, while also probably good people, strike me as silver spoon babies who don't really have a clue. I doubt either one would be hired by an NFL team and only have jobs in the organization because it is owned by their family. And herein lies the root of the problem with this franchise. The move to LA was all about money, increasing the value of the franchise. The Chargers franchise has a lot of Spanos family mouths to feed, and it has those trust obligations we are well aware of. But I believe Dean really does want to build a winner. If only he knew how.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Everyone who feels despair about the season, I play you this.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Oklahoma
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
              Without Slater:
              - we will not be able to run,
              - we will not be able to protect Herbert in 14 games with Norton as LT.

Alongside Bosa, JC Jackson, Corey, Herbert injuries our season leads to failure.

The worst thing and we saw that yesterday is to put Herbert there as the co(ckro)aches will try to save their positions.

P.s. We need hard reset. No more Telescop and fire Staley and his gang before it will be too late and they gona break Herbert.
              Yep, also I believe they will have to do everything Herbert wants or he will leave, rightfully so.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Starting to feel like 2015 and 2016, wasted seasons in Rivers' career. The cycle continues with Herbert. Sucks.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                  Starting to feel like 2015 and 2016, wasted seasons in Rivers' career. The cycle continues with Herbert. Sucks.
                  Just in time to see Herbert's contemporaries like Tua, Hurts, Burrows etc all hit their stride. Once again we're on the outside looking in
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don't know if agreeing with you, and Velo, makes me feel better, or worse. So they either don't care about winning; or they don't know how to build a winner. I guess it doesn't matter because, as you said, the end result (a shitty franchise) is the same.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Just in time to see Herbert's contemporaries like Tua, Hurts, Burrows etc all hit their stride. Once again we're on the outside looking in
                      I wonder how long it's gonna take for Herbert to start trying to "do too much". Forcing the ball into triple coverage; holding on to the ball too long; taking too many risks with the ball, etc. The end result, of course, is going to be more INTs, fewer TDs, and no closer to winning then he was before.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I wonder how long it's gonna take for Herbert to start trying to "do too much". Forcing the ball into triple coverage; holding on to the ball too long; taking too many risks with the ball, etc. The end result, of course, is going to be more INTs, fewer TDs, and no closer to winning then he was before.
                        Hmmmm think Ive seen this movie before?Gosh damn this team needs new owners!!!!

Comment

• Bolts0503
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2022
                          • Send PM

Anyone who thinks the Spanos family puts winning and building a fan base ahead of money has some short term memory loss. When the Chargers moved up to LA back in '17, guess what the biggest promotion was that the team put forth? Free Charger tattoos! At one place, mid-week during the day! Anyone else there for a so-called fan appreciation event at Carson? The amazing give-away to those in the tailgate lot was a plastic license plate frame and an individual sized Pizza Hut pizza(I proudly took both of course!!). I figured there would be drawings or raffles for much bigger prizes later on but sorry, this isn't baseball. Even Dan Patrick commented how the Chargers attitude was more like "hey, we're here. Your bad if you don't feel like paying $100 to tailgate!" instead of a true effort to embrace the LA area fans. Finally, and this I admit is third party hear say but the person who relayed this story would not make it up. At one of the season ticket holder meetings back during the San Diego days when the internet made it possible for opposing fans to more easily get tickets, someone joked how it seems like some games are now 70-30 in favor of the opponent rather than 50-50. He asked how the team could combat this. The marketing rep answered "what matters is seeing seats filled with NFL fans enjoying themselves." Translation-we need to sell tickets, who cares what color jersey is in them! Gee, how caring of a thought.

But, as they say, numbers don't lie. Injuries of course play a role but the fact is since beginning 2021 winning 4 of 5, this team is 6-9. Someone explain to me how this is progress. At least, last year, we had hope until game 17. This year, game 4 might be enough to sink any hopes. Jacksonville was supposed to be our easy(?) part of the schedule given we don't face a team that had a winning record in 2021 until 11/13. If we are not at least 5-3 by the time we go up north, then house cleaning is the only way 2023 can begin.

Comment

Working...
                          X