• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hadl2Alworth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
    And reports just in have Hosmer going to Boston. No news on what we get in return.
    I do feel sad for Hosmer. I wish he would have figured out how to hit the ball in the air years ago. He just never could. Weird deal for a pro baseball player. Weirder still that our GM (Preller) would sign him to such a long and expensive contract in spite of it. Damn! At least Hosmer was a positive force in the dugout/clubhouse. I wish him well in Boston.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I have a Padres thread i created just for this forum somewhere. I think ill just roll this into that. It was made to get us through the offseason. Its a huge deal for us Padre fans.

I prefer to have at least one on the main forum.
      Just amazing this franchise has beat out the rest of baseball for this phenom. If you would have told me back in the early/mid 1970's that the Padres, yes the same Padres that almost went to Washington, D.C. in the 70's, would be such huge spenders one day while remaining in San Diego I would have laughed in your face. Amazing.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
        Excited for Soto but not the cost.
        We had better extend Soto. The prospects we gave up were unreal.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

Wow, guess what? We just picked up another hitter! Brandon Drury of the Reds...

View the 2024 MLB season full splits for Brandon Drury of the Los Angeles Angels on ESPN. Includes full stats per opponent, and home and away games.

I know he can play 3B and 1B. Not sure about the outfield. He's been a producer for the Reds this year. I see Drury as our DH now that Voit was added to the Washington haul after Hosmer defected.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
            Wow, guess what? We just picked up another hitter! Brandon Drury of the Reds...

View the 2024 MLB season full splits for Brandon Drury of the Los Angeles Angels on ESPN. Includes full stats per opponent, and home and away games.

I know he can play 3B and 1B. Not sure about the outfield. He's been a producer for the Reds this year. I see Drury as our DH now that Voit was added to the Washington haul after Hosmer defected.
            I just read that he can play 3rd, SS and both outfield corners. Nice pop with 20 dingers this year. AND.......They threw in Voit in the deal with Washington........Captain K is GONE!!!!!

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

I just read that he can play 3rd, SS and both outfield corners. Nice pop with 20 dingers this year. AND.......They threw in Voit in the deal with Washington........Captain K is GONE!!!!!
              Excellent!

Crazy day. Fun, but a little crazy. I wonder if we have any interest in Odubel Herrera. He can play CF and was cut by Philly today when they acquired Brandon Marsh from the Angels. His defense may be too problematic at this stage though.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Send PM

I like this! Padres acquired lefty power-pitcher Jason Groome from Boston in the Hosmer deal. Groome is a big lefty who was a 2016 1st round pick (12th overall). We sent two prospects to Boston in that deal as well. Groome did have TJ surgery a while back but he's back pitching this year.

EDIT: It wouldn't shock me at all if Groome became a member of our rotation at some point this year. I like this pick up. Very surprised Boston would deal him.

EDIT:EDIT: Just read Groome's velocity has gone down from sitting at 94 or 95 to around 90 over the years. Makes him much less attractive as a potential starter OR reliever for us this year. And he's gained a lot of weight on top of that. Yikes.
                Last edited by Hadl2Alworth; 08-02-2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                  The Precious
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Soto is the real deal.

And Bell is raking too and will now have even more protection in the lineup.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Good wishes to Hosmer, he was here before we were SlamDiego. Didn't live up to the contract but he did his best and stepped up early this season when our superstar Tatis was out (still out, fristrating)
                    I don't get the hate for Hosmer, he had a no-trade clause and used it, can't blame him, no one wants to go to DC.
                    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I’m not even going to pretend I know anything about baseball outside of hoping our local Padres does well. But even I know this is big deal. With that being said, the Padres need to win a WS soon, preferably this year or next, in order to make this the right blockbuster trade. The Padres basically went all in like the Rams did. Hopefully the same results happen.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman
                        Padres look like they are in front for Soto (and Bell) at the moment. But a word of caution: They appeared to be in the lead for Scherzer a year ago before the Dodgers swooped in and landed both Scherzer and Turner.
                        Twitter for iPhone

I'm curious what any Padres fans have to say about possibly trading the farm for Soto (and maybe even Josh Bell). Are they worth trading James Wood, Robert Hassell, Luis Campusano, C.J. Abrams for? I have mixed feelings as I love Soto especially but if we can only have him for two years then that will be a painful ordeal for me to watch those blue-chip prospects thriving on someone else's team for the next 10-15 years.

If this thread gets moved that's fine. But it is a very big deal for the Padres - and Padres fans - if they manage to get Soto. Even if only for a couple seasons. One thing I really hope Soto can/will do in addition to hitting lots of Homeruns and walking a ton is to be someone for Tatis to look up to for how to act in the off season when temptations abound such as riding motorcycle's for instance! Maybe I'm asking too much though. I guess I'll settle for the good hitting and on-base skills. ha
                        If they win a WS soon because of this trade, then 100% worth it. If not, then no.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                          X