Bears HC John Fox Explains Altering Game Plan when Facing Philip Rivers

Thursday, November 05, 2015 2:44 PM PST

By Hayley Elwood

Contributing Writer

@chargers

Recent Videos

X

Pagano: "Those Plays Will Come Our Way"

John Pagano speaks to the media after practice on Thursday about what his defense needs to do to stop the Bears. Watch

X

McCoy: "Adjust to Your Personnel"

Mike McCoy speaks to the media after practice on Thursday about what Keenan Allen means to the team and what he's learned from John Fox. Watch

More Videos:

<a href="https://chargers.wufoo.com/forms/mnsc5kx1st8648/" title="html form">Fill out my Wufoo form!</a>

Recent Articles

B

John Fox Explains Altering Game Plan when Facing Rivers

B

Philip Rivers on Relationship with Jay Cutler

Featured Gallery

C

PHOTOS: Thursday Bears Week

Bears week continues as the Bolts grind through practice at Chargers Park. View

More Photos:

With two wins each, the Chicago Bears and San Diego Chargers are both hungry for a victory on Monday Night Football.

After spending the past four seasons as the Denver Broncos’ Head Coach, John Fox has swapped conferences to head the Bears. Fox and Chargers Head Coach Mike McCoy go way back, spending a combined 10 seasons together during their time with the Carolina Panthers and Broncos.

While both coaches are in new territory being under .500 at this point in the season, Fox knows both teams have the ability to overcome their records thanks to the adversity he and McCoy have shared together in the past.

“It’s never easy,” Fox said. “I think (McCoy) knows that and he’s been through it with me many times. We’ve had some auspicious starts in the past. You just keep grinding. They’ve (lost) some close games just like we have, but he knows the drill. It’s never easy and this is a tough game played and coached by tough people.”

Fox previewed Monday night’s matchup against the Chargers and said although the Bolts will be without wide receiver Keenan Allen, he knows the offense still poses many challenges.

“Offensively, I’m pretty familiar with the Chargers having been in Denver for the last four years,” Fox said. “Philip Rivers is playing outstanding. I know they’ve had their share of injuries on the offensive line and now with Keenan (Allen) out, that’s a blow. Statistically, I think they lead the league in yards and passing. Tough matchups, but they’re executing well in the passing game.

They’re not going to change their offense (without Allen); it’s been too productive.”

Having prepared for Rivers before, Fox mentioned while you can’t stop his production, defensively, you have to alter your game-plan to throw number 17 off his mark.

“You’ve just got to mix it up. You’re not going to stop him; you just need to do your best to slow him down. He’s a tremendous competitor and we’ve been going at it for a while…I just know what a great competitor he is. He’s going to get his (plays). He’s going to hurt you in some cases and you just have to limit it the best you can.”

Bears signal caller Jay Cutler hasn’t faced the Chargers since 2011, but admitted while the Bolts’ defense poses challenges, he feels his offense will be able to keep up with the “chess match”.

“I still think they do a good job of creating pressure,” Cutler said. “They have some dime looks and some nickel looks that cause problems and they play hard. I think they’re pretty multiple. They show you a lot of different looks. They’ve got some different spots on the field. We’ll throw some tempo…We’ll go a little bit fast and make them make some checks and we can slow it down…”
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

X

That was kind of interesting.

B

MH
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X