Cowboys @ Chargers Preseason Game Day Thread (PS #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

If only…unfortunately no one gets to go back and re-draft the draft so I try to limit myself in this sort of thing…a couple of rules I have when fantasizing like this…1) I never look at players drafted above our picks and 2) I limit myself to the next 5-7 players picked up after the pick we made, then if I see a succesful guy that went soon after the chargers picked….then I think, “damn we could’ve had that guy!”
    :LOL:
    Just wondering, not so much about specific players as much as Telesco’s mind set. Seems he is pretty consistent letting the board fall to him and selecting best available.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Just wondering, not so much about specific players as much as Telesco’s mind set. Seems he is pretty consistent letting the board fall to him and selecting best available.
      Telesco is like an amoeba covered in teflon, you can cut him into pieces and he can reform himself, you can squeeze him thru tiny holes and he’ll regenerate on the other side, he can shape himself to fit just about any shape or situation and he can grow tentacles to reach out and connect with media, fans, owners, coaches, and players alike…

In my estimation Tom Telesco has held down one of the most difficult GM jobs in the NFL for a decade, I’m not joking…I think the spanii are some of the worst owners for any GM to work with…it’s the kind of job where you have to be a meat shield and deflect all outside criticism about decisions he’s supposedly making all the while massaging the ear of moron owners to try to get his job done with one hand tied behind his back…the man is a survivor, a clever politician, and he has managed to work with crazy egos from incompetent coaches (some I suspect where definitely spanii choices) and owners…he’s seamlessly partnered with those coaches, agreeing to their draft demands and their philosophies all the while balancing the demands players and egotistical, entitled, and delusional spanii whom are convinced they are ‘football people’…

I’ve been up and down on whether TT should've been fired….but I’ve come around to respect Tom Telesco, he’s the guy that has to managed a dysfunctional ownership group, dealt with the move (that couldn’t have been easy), dealt with shitty coaches, and all the while had to deal with players and agents just like every other NFL GM…anyone that can juggle all that horseshit for ten years deserves a bit of credit…

Tom has input but he’s not going to rock the boat, owners and coaches have a lot of say on who gets selected, Tom and his scout team make recommendations, but I’ve seen him consistently acquiesce to what coaches want during the draft…
      Last edited by Fouts2herbert; 08-23-2022, 09:54 AM.
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Tom's people skills are strong for sure and has survived a job that requires pride-swollowing daily.
        he's also become a better GM (finally) throughout the years.
        I don't want him fired, I want him to succeed, but if he is fired someday, I'll be as ready as anyone.

Also worth noting for me, draft analysis and youtuber Bret Kollman did this Bootleggers Football series that breaks down every NFL team for this season.
        I was impressed with his overall knowledge of current roster construction for so many teams, anyhow,
        he said he's grown to "trust TT" and if he makes a pick he (Bret) doesn't like, he simply gives TT benefit of the doubt.

Of course Bret isn't a Charger fan so he's not obsessing over minute details, but it's note worthy imo.
        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Well, he cannot be put on the field this year, so besides cutting him, we will just have to give him a developmental year. But that is very different than what many were posting shortly after we drafted him. He was a guy that was supposed to be on the field for most of the snaps this year according to some and that obviously had better not be close to happening as any completed pass defended by Woods could immediately turn into a TD for our opponent after Woods fails to make the tackle.
          I don't recall Woods being expected to be on the field for "most" of the snaps this year. Not sure why we should expect more from him, a 3rd-round pick, then any other 3rd-round pick.

You just need to salve the chafing that you inflicted on yourself when we didn't trade up (if we could have traded up, that is; it wasn't as sure a thing to me as it still is for you) for that DT that the Ravens drafted (forgot his name already ).

If it makes you feel any better, you were correct about Tillery. Bust. At least IMO. K9 is also a bust. Would like to see both them cut.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Luxury picks should not be taken in the third round. Unless of course, you're one player away from a Championship team and that player was already taken.
            i wouldnt call a 3rd rounder a luxery pick. But if a guy falls there , hell yes id snap him up.
            I'd have picked Nakobe Dean there for us. He would of been a luxury pick and that's what happened when we got Keenan.
            Justin Houston went 3rd round and I wanted us to draft him in the first round. He tested positive for weed at the combine. That doesn't bother me.

Woods is a potential guy and if he developes nicely after a year, he will be a great pick.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-23-2022, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I don't recall Woods being expected to be on the field for "most" of the snaps this year. Not sure why we should expect more from him, a 3rd-round pick, then any other 3rd-round pick.

You just need to salve the chafing that you inflicted on yourself when we didn't trade up (if we could have traded up, that is; it wasn't as sure a thing to me as it still is for you) for that DT that the Ravens drafted (forgot his name already ).

If it makes you feel any better, you were correct about Tillery. Bust. At least IMO. K9 is also a bust. Would like to see both them cut.
              Staley's scheme uses alot of 3 safety defenses..... Woods was drafted as a fast ball hawk to play FS with Adderly playing SS when James moves into box as coverage/pass rushing LB/S in passing situation, so they want Woods to play alot....

Comment

• Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Critty made a huge deal about Woods being a better pick than Travis Jones based upon Woods likely playing a huge percentage of the snaps. I tried to point out to Critty that no pundit had Woods ranked above Jones and that the consensus big board had Jones ranked 93 slots higher (#44 versus #137) and that it was no lock that a rookie third round reach would be playing lots of snaps.

The trade up for Jones, by contrast, was a lock. Our picks in the same rounds had more value than HOU's did. Our version of the same offer would have been better and would have been taken had it been made because teams like getting better value for their picks. That trade, for a pick that was actually traded, just not to us and for lesser value that what we would have offered, would have allowed us to jump in front of BAL since everyone knew that BAL was taking Jones because BAL actually knows how to secure value with its draft picks (what a concept).

Now, I am seriously hoping that Woods' snap count for the season will be zero. The guy is the worst tackling NFL safety I have ever seen--and against reserve caliber players. A guy like that just cannot be let on the field until he learns basic NFL competence in tackling. If the roster were decided on the basis of present ability, Woods would be an outright cut right now. That said, I am sure the team will keep him to save face while it continues to overhype his potential (while simultaneously ignoring the gigantic hole in his game). Then, all we can hope for is that Woods develops into an actual football player and that we do not have a whole lot of injuries while we are essentially wasting a roster spot on Woods.

I will only feel better about Tillery when he is cut. The guy is a bad pass rusher and one of the worst run defenders in the NFL. Getting rid of him makes the team better.

I am good with giving K9 a season to prove what he can do when healthy. He has the potential to be a good run defender and I kind of like the idea of him playing with Van Noy so that teams will stop placing their cleat marks on our very soft defenders on running plays. Also, both players can line up on the edge, so having that versatility with both ILBs seems like it could cause some confusion for offenses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Staley's scheme uses alot of 3 safety defenses..... Woods was drafted as a fast ball hawk to play FS with Adderly playing SS when James moves into box as coverage/pass rushing LB/S in passing situation, so they want Woods to play alot....
                  And that is not good since he cannot play competently at all until he learns basic tackling. It is kind of a major problem and we should be looking to land a decent safety not presently on the roster right now.

Only having two solid or better safeties on the roster is not a good thing when the defense is designed to use a lot of three safety looks.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

He will.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

And that is not good since he cannot play competently at all until he learns basic tackling. It is kind of a major problem and we should be looking to land a decent safety not presently on the roster right now.

Only having two solid or better safeties on the roster is not a good thing when the defense is designed to use a lot of three safety looks.
                      We just got him to get INT’s I guess

Comment

• Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We just got him to get INT’s I guess
                        Can you promise me that the receiver will just give himself up if Woods does not make the INT and there is a reception?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Is Wood's problem tackling receivers, or coming up and tackling running backs? The 2nd option is much more difficult.

Lets not resort to hyperbole in attempting to buttress a point.

Woods assignments in Staley's defense are not Bradlyesque: that point should be taken under consideration.

Comment

Working...
                          X