Cowboys @ Chargers Preseason Game Day Thread (PS #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Safeties have to tackle. Period.

And he won’t be the last mid round pick to need a developmental year either.
    Rounds 5-7 are for those guys. You don’t take a guy in the 3rd round (when u have no 2nd round pick) who needs to be taught how to tackle

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
      Chargers Hall of Fame
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

My preference was Nick Cross (who btw is playing well in Indy so far), but I could understand their thinking - wanting a bona fide ballhawk on the back end. JT Woods’ tackling issues were certainly no secret, so I’m guessing Staley went in understanding that he may take some time to develop. The athleticism, hands & instincts were clearly evident at Baylor. But great gobs o’ goose shit, his tackling has been downright embarrassing so far. Hopefully he turns it around, but definitely a work in progress.
      I'm a fan of both your username (Unforgiven!!!) and this phrase: "great gobs of goose shit"

Well played.

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Rounds 5-7 are for those guys. You don’t take a guy in the 3rd round (when u have no 2nd round pick) who needs to be taught how to tackle
        In Staley's presser, he was asked how do the coaches teach players to tackle when they do not tackle or hit each other in practice?..... Staley danced around the question talking about putting players in different situations because there are so many different types of tackles to learn...... but he had no real answer....

Staley also shocked me when he said that both backup QB's are doing a great job and played great in the pre season games????? For him to say that they are happy with QB room and there will be difficult decisions that need to be made would be one thing, but to rave about how great both backup QB's are is beyond stupid and unnecessary.... he basically committed to keeping both of them (even though both obviously suck)..... there was no reason to commit to them...... why???? This kind of think makes me worry about him as HC..... he may be too nice to be a winning HC.....

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

He's 6'2" 185 pounds......tackling was guaranteed to be an issue until he adds good weight.

I'm sure they knew this.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

In Staley's presser, he was asked how do the coaches teach players to tackle when they do not tackle or hit each other in practice?..... Staley danced around the question talking about putting players in different situations because there are so many different types of tackles to learn...... but he had no real answer....

Staley also shocked me when he said that both backup QB's are doing a great job and played great in the pre season games????? For him to say that they are happy with QB room and there will be difficult decisions that need to be made would be one thing, but to rave about how great both backup QB's are is beyond stupid and unnecessary.... he basically committed to keeping both of them (even though both obviously suck)..... there was no reason to commit to them...... why???? This kind of think makes me worry about him as HC..... he may be too nice to be a winning HC.....
            the simple explanation I heard about why easton and daniels have stuck around is perhaps unusual, Justin Herbert wants both of them in the QB room, that’s it, that’s the reason…it’s got nothing to do with TT or with Staley, it’s about herbert enjoying the comradery he has with them, herbert thinks they are his friends and they just might be but herbert has to move on from that, a lot of people in this business will persue friendships with him just to keep their jobs in the NFL (i.e. nabers) it doesn’t mean they actually ARE his friends, it just means they need to use his influence with the club for their own financial gain…
            Last edited by Fouts2herbert; 08-23-2022, 06:25 AM.
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Send PM

Especially for a team that needs "ready to play depth" sooner rather than later AND is playing under the limited Herbert rookie contract window. Just more bizarre Chargers shit. That's all. It's like the whole Chargers front office are all doing shrooms on draft day. I guess you have to laugh...because it is stupid-funny.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Especially for a team that needs "ready to play depth" sooner rather than later AND is playing under the limited Herbert rookie contract window. Just more bizarre Chargers shit. That's all. It's like the whole Chargers front office are all doing shrooms on draft day. I guess you have to laugh...because it is stupid-funny.
                We already knew on draft day that woods was a staley ‘luxury’ pick, brandon has a vision for JT and he exercised his power as HC to make that vision become a reality, now he has to develop JT and he’ll get a year to do it…
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

We already knew on draft day that woods was a staley ‘luxury’ pick, brandon has a vision for JT and he exercised his power as HC to make that vision become a reality, now he has to develop JT and he’ll get a year to do it…
                  Luxury picks should not be taken in the third round. Unless of course, you're one player away from a Championship team and that player was already taken.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Luxury picks should not be taken in the third round. Unless of course, you're one player away from a Championship team and that player was already taken.
                    I agree, but I didn’t criticize it too much because I really really liked Woods at the senior bowl…thing is they don’t have to do much tackling at the senior bowl, LOL…but he picked off several passes during practice and again in the game…you know who didn’t look all that great at the senior bowl, kenny pickett, and now kenny is looking like a steal at #20, the draft is such a crapshoot….

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

He should have said “well, fuck me. I have no idea how to teach him to tackle because in 2022 NFL coaches aren’t allowed to have players tackle in practice. We’ll just play him a lot of tape and see if anything eventually clicks, I guess. Maybe some yoga, fuck if I know … i hate this question … next?”
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Do we know if Chargers had any offers to trade down from #17?

of course no way of knowing a player like Salyer would still be available in 6th rd….. no regrets with Zion, but getting in position and adding extra valued pick could still have netted JT Woods and RT Abraham Lucas.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                          Do we know if Chargers had any offers to trade down from #17?

of course no way of knowing a player like Salyer would still be available in 6th rd….. no regrets with Zion, but getting in position and adding extra valued pick could still have netted JT Woods and RT Abraham Lucas.
                          If only…unfortunately no one gets to go back and re-draft the draft so I try to limit myself in this sort of thing…a couple of rules I have when fantasizing like this…1) I never look at players drafted above our picks and 2) I limit myself to the next 5-7 players picked up after the pick we made, then if I see a succesful guy that went soon after the chargers picked….then I think, “damn we could’ve had that guy!”
                          :LOL:

Comment

Working...
                          X