• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    Did Nolan have GM authority? Don't remember.
    I think he did in SF.

Comment

• FiftyFive
      Dean Spanos is a traitor!
      • Dec 2014
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      How about fire Reich during the bye week and bring back Whiz as the OC?
      No thanks. One year of run-run-pass-punt and horrible red-zone playcalling was more than enough.

Comment

• Wheels
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
        Reich mentioned as a candidate to replace Whisenhunt on espn article today.

Sorry, closed the tab already, or I'd paste it.

Have a field day with that one, boys.
        Reich's plan to fix the Titan's offense is... more delayed handoffs.

When they're putting in the game plan, I wonder if they're thinking, boy this delayed draw is really going to fool them this time.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Whiz is getting a lot of crap because Mariotta is struggling to pick up our pro style offense, that Whiz took with him to Tenn. It was simplified some for the rookie, but there is only so much you can do to a pro offense and still get it to work. Not sure how the brain trust in Tenn felt that Mariotta was going to come in and master so much so quickly.

Tenn is a bad situation for any HC to have been in. The owner who hired him is gone, and a new owner takes over after a power struggle (daughter took over from Bud Adams), the coach is always going to be the odd man out. Add in Whiz and his offensive tendencies and a weak roster, not too many guys would have gotten through the season.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Whiz is getting a lot of crap because Mariotta is struggling to pick up our pro style offense, that Whiz took with him to Tenn. It was simplified some for the rookie, but there is only so much you can do to a pro offense and still get it to work. Not sure how the brain trust in Tenn felt that Mariotta was going to come in and master so much so quickly.

Tenn is a bad situation for any HC to have been in. The owner who hired him is gone, and a new owner takes over after a power struggle (daughter took over from Bud Adams), the coach is always going to be the odd man out. Add in Whiz and his offensive tendencies and a weak roster, not too many guys would have gotten through the season.
            And meanwhile Jameis Winston is getting better in Tampa.

I guess all those who overreacted in week one, will maybe stop doing so after one game.

Nah. What's the point of that?
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Whiz has a 5 year $25 million contract. I'm sure his days as a head coach are now over. Unless he wants to go back to being an OC, he can retire and be set for life if he is smart.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                But does that matter? Rodgers is a one of a kind HOF QB, if you use this reasoning on Nolan you kinda have to apply it to other teams that had QBs of lesser value (nearly all of them with the exception of elite teams with elite QBs), and besides, GB had Favre at the time (you could make an argument that GB and Favre were elite), and it would be a few years until he was pushed aside. Smith was touted as the consensus #1 pick. I'm just saying to use this as a reason to pass on Nolan is questionable, there are a lot of other reasons out there to pass on him (like he's a lousy head coach and apparently a mediocre LB coach too), and besides, even if he became HC he really wouldn't have input into player acquisitions.
                Favre had already contemplated retiring at that point and they didnt know how long he was going to play. And yes i think it matters if teams didnt have a need for a QB. Why use a first round on a QB if they dont need one?

You can look at the stating QBs in 2005 and see some names and think, yes the Panthers needed a QB but at the time Jake Delhomme was their QB and they werent looking to replace him. JP Losman was vgoing into his second year, Hasselbeck was going strong, Byron Leftwich was only a 3rd year player and they thought he was their franchise guy, Denver had Plummer and didnt have a first round pick, Detroit had Harrington who was in his 4th year and they picked Mike Williams 10th, lol.
                The Titans picked 6th and had McNair, Vikings picked 7th and had Culpepper, Cards 8th and had Warner. It was known that after the first pick one of them was going to fall.

The Redskins picked Carlos Rogers 9th and then moved up to #25 to draft Jason Campbell.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

But your point to blame Nolan for that is a bit extreme. All those teams still whiffed, it doesn't matter if they had Joey Harrongton or not.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I said he was a part of that who picked Smith and it was said that Nolan didn't like Rodgers attitude in an interview. I can't imagine what he didn't like seeing Rogers interviewed over the years.
                    However, I don't want him as our HC at all and don't seena big change in our LBs that he is coaching.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-06-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      I said he was a part of that who picked Smith and it was said that Nolan didn't like Rodgers attitude in an interview. I can't imagine what he didn't like seeing Rogers interviewed over the years.
                      However, I don't want him as our HC at all and don't seena big change in our LBs that he is coaching.
                      I'm in agreement with the part of not wanting him as a head coach. But not because he passed on Rodgers.

Comment

Working...
                      X