• 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

:umm:

Oooookay, sure...

I support Joe Lombardi's transition elsewhere.
    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Popper had an interesting take on the whole Lombardi not going deep enough critiques in his Hops with Pop segment on Friday. He said that it is much more nuanced than just Lombardi's play calling. It is some ball control play calling, some on protection, some on teams adjusting how they play us to prevent us from going deep and some on Herbert. His point on Herbert is that Herbert is checking off a lot to safer outlets because he does not watch to risk a turnovers and is content to go to a check down pass if it is available. He said Herbert isn't a gun slinger like someone like Josh Allen. Now I am not sure I agree with this about Herbert it was an interesting take.

He also threw Everett under the bus for the interception, saying he did not run the right route (regardless of how tired he was) and Herbert threw it where it was supposed to. I think we all saw that. The same thing also happened in camp and Herbert was pretty pissed off at him then, as he was in the Chiefs game. One of the callers reported they saw a KC report breaking down the game and that the Chief players noticed Everett breaking off his routes when he was tired - not sure where or who reported this, but if the true enough that other players are picking up on it than we better hope Parham gets healthy and the coaches get on his ass - but take that for the 3rd or 4th hand report of something supposedly said.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        Popper had an interesting take on the whole Lombardi not going deep enough critiques in his Hops with Pop segment on Friday. He said that it is much more nuanced than just Lombardi's play calling. It is some ball control play calling, some on protection, some on teams adjusting how they play us to prevent us from going deep and some on Herbert. His point on Herbert is that Herbert is checking off a lot to safer outlets because he does not watch to risk a turnovers and is content to go to a check down pass if it is available. He said Herbert isn't a gun slinger like someone like Josh Allen. Now I am not sure I agree with this about Herbert it was an interesting take.

He also threw Everett under the bus for the interception, saying he did not run the right route (regardless of how tired he was) and Herbert threw it where it was supposed to. I think we all saw that. The same thing also happened in camp and Herbert was pretty pissed off at him then, as he was in the Chiefs game. One of the callers reported they saw a KC report breaking down the game and that the Chief players noticed Everett breaking off his routes when he was tired - not sure where or who reported this, but if the true enough that other players are picking up on it than we better hope Parham gets healthy and the coaches get on his ass - but take that for the 3rd or 4th hand report of something supposedly said.
        I'm starting to fee that we only throw Pick 6's when we're targeting out TEs. Parham is our only TE we haven't had this problem with. LOL!
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

This is all so interesting. Great post. I have kind of suspected Herbert maybe has become conscious - maybe to conscious - of turnovers and is now shying away from riskier throws, including deep shots. But he has made several throws in these two games that most would consider risky, but they are throws only he can make. Also, Herbert really trusts KA and he's willing to take chances on jaw-dropping passes to his No. 1 WR. With KA out, for six of the eight quarters played this season, he might be less inclined to make those throws. Though Herb does seem to have a rapport with and trusts DeAndre Carter. Everett has been a dynamic receiver these first two games, but his conditioning raises a question mark. I think Lombardi, Herbert, et. al. will figure this out as the season progresses. If the Chargers finish as the top offense this season it will quiet the haters.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

September is preseason for the Bolts. I'd be ok with 2-1. The team has to get in shape and gets its execution going sometime.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Not throwing deep didn’t bother me. It was all the behind the LOS throws that KC was teeing off on.

Lombardi is the Geno Smith of OC’s. Sure, he connects on a few but too many plays you shake your head at and go WTF?

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

This is all so interesting. Great post. I have kind of suspected Herbert maybe has become conscious - maybe to conscious - of turnovers and is now shying away from riskier throws, including deep shots. But he has made several throws in these two games that most would consider risky, but they are throws only he can make. Also, Herbert really trusts KA and he's willing to take chances on jaw-dropping passes to his No. 1 WR. With KA out, for six of the eight quarters played this season, he might be less inclined to make those throws. Though Herb does seem to have a rapport with and trusts DeAndre Carter. Everett has been a dynamic receiver these first two games, but his conditioning raises a question mark. I think Lombardi, Herbert, et. al. will figure this out as the season progresses. If the Chargers finish as the top offense this season it will quiet the haters.
                Passive-aggressive much?
                So we're "haters" but if YOU want anyone replaced, that makes you what?
                We all wish Lombo improves, to have a "support thread" is an absolute joke as it implies we all here don't support his improvement.
                Your obsession with quieting people is only thing potentially rooted in "hate", you're not quieting anyone, best you can hope for is turning criticism into cheers for doing better.

If you're really tired of reading critiques, then perhaps taking a break from TPB is a more reasonable and responsible solution rather than labeling people and wishing people to be quiet??
                you're too old to not know better.
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

I expect some warts to come out. We didnt have any preseason starters play and its going to take a bit of time to get in a groove. Last year we looked just ok early on but the team as a whole was worse…penalties and ST gafs hurt.

Id say overall team is far better but just the offense took 3 major player injuries which we have to account for in this Lombo bitch fest. You lose almost 30% of your starters to injury and no shit it doesnt work as well. Losing 2 starter OL one of which is your probowl center is a big deal folks and put a lot more pressure on Herb so its no surprise checkdowns were common, no? Lombo had to get more conservative since protection was decreased and our run blocking also took a hit. Im not stupid…this isnt all on Lombo. Im not saying he made every call right but looking at 2 games into a 17 game season you cant statistically judge shit…give him time…last year it took a few games till the lion emerged that this offense evolved into. Have faith…just keep Herbie vertical. Lombo will get it figured out.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                    Not throwing deep didn’t bother me. It was all the behind the LOS throws that KC was teeing off on.

Lombardi is the Geno Smith of OC’s. Sure, he connects on a few but too many plays you shake your head at and go WTF?
                    The Geno Smith of OC's doesn't have a top 5 offense with the 2nd most passing yardage in the league.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Popper also went into the trust he has will Williams and is willing to give him the 50-50 balls. The Chiefs changed up their D in the second half to try and take him away and did a pretty good job of it. Staley commented that there has been no conscious decision to not get Guyton involved more so if we use him a bit more, along with getting Parham and Allen back and I think we’ll be just fine on O.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

4th rated offense in 2021 and next week, Herbert will be the 2nd fastest QB to 10,000 yards in the history or the game. Until they can show something concrete in the way of facts, the whiny haters can hate. This is the best roster the Chargers have fielded and if you can't enjoy that, got nothing to say to you.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

....then i would have hoped that our own coaching staff picked up on it,
                          and to have made certain to monitor carefully if Everett was winded and react accordingly.
                          Last edited by powderblueboy; 09-19-2022, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X