X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

It's not so much what we like about Lombardi as it is we see you, anti-Lombardi people as blaming him for each and every play called that doesn't work. For instance, when we run up the gut on a third and short and fail to make it. People say it's a lousy play he called. But, the truth is that's the right call for that situation, failing to block for the RB is the real problem.
    I disagree. Lombardi is utterly clueless if he thinks we can run the ball in known running situations. We cannot do so with any degree of consistency. What would be a good call for other teams is not a good call for us.

Instead, Lombardi needs to adjust his play calling to how we execute as an offense. He needs to build our ability in the running game by calling running plays when they are not expected such as in second down and 7+ yards to go situations.

Comment

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post
      For those who asked to get speedy WRs to replace Guyton....

Even Guyton himself was not utilized much / at all, how will the replacement differ??

Better get help on the OL, at least they are utilized all the time.

Go Bolts!!!
      That Lombardi's play calling is stupid is not a reason not to build the right kind of roster for when Lombardi gets fired.

Also, even when not used as the intended receiver, a speedy WR has value in that he can help clear out the underneath areas for Allen, Williams and Ekeler. Of course, even this limited use does not work as well when our opponents know that we will not throw deep and they can cheat on defense accordingly.

Comment

• TTThunder
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

That Lombardi's play calling is stupid is not a reason not to build the right kind of roster for when Lombardi gets fired.

Also, even when not used as the intended receiver, a speedy WR has value in that he can help clear out the underneath areas for Allen, Williams and Ekeler. Of course, even this limited use does not work as well when our opponents know that we will not throw deep and they can cheat on defense accordingly.
        I do agree with you. The above post was based on our current OC situation.

(In fact, I love our 2020 passing games A LOT more than our current OC passing game...

Saw the Eagles offense this year and how Hurts was utilized, I think our HC made a mistake changing the OC, QB coach...)

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Crystal ball says the 2023 Chargers OC will be...

Mike McDaniels.
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I disagree with your take.

The Steichen offense was less successful overall in 2020 because Anthony Lynn wanted to focus on establishing the running game, particularly on early downs when we had Herbert, Allen, Williams, Guyton and Johnson and could not run the ball to save our lives. This frequently put us behind the sticks with opponents knowing that we were going to be passing the ball. This created difficult down and distance situations for Herbert.

Also, our OL was literally the worst in the entire NFL in 2020. It is much, much better now than it was then, even with some injuries.

What Steichen called when he called passing plays was actually much better than what Lombardi calls. Lombardi calls a better percentage of pass to run than Steichen did (more passes--likely because Anthony Lynn is not the head coach). That works better for our team. Other teams might be more successful running the ball more as they do not have Herbert and may have more ground game talent than we do in terms of RBs and run blocking.
            Criminy! The Steichen offense had Michael Schofield as their best offensive lineman.

I'd take the depleted Charger Oline of today in spades.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              Crystal ball says the 2023 Chargers OC will be...

Mike McDaniels.
              Lombo's resume did not merit an OC position; and I would argue that he hasn't shown anything to want him back next year.

We were told that all the little details of his offense were supposed to be fully digested by now. It hasn't shown up on the field.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

It's not so much what we like about Lombardi as it is we see you, anti-Lombardi people as blaming him for each and every play called that doesn't work. For instance, when we run up the gut on a third and short and fail to make it. People say it's a lousy play he called. But, the truth is that's the right call for that situation, failing to block for the RB is the real problem.
                But that is part of the OC's job: setting players up to succeed with makeable blocks and assignments, or coaching them up to make certain blocks.

If i'm faced between the choice that Feiler is a suddenly a bum, or the coaches are not putting him in a good situation, i'd chooose the latter all the time

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

But that is part of the OC's job: setting players up to succeed with makeable blocks and assignments, or coaching them up to make certain blocks.

If i'm faced between the choice that Feiler is a suddenly a bum, or the coaches are not putting him in a good situation, i'd chooose the latter all the time
                  Did we change OL coach from last year? I should know that but I don't.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Did we change OL coach from last year? I should know that but I don't.
                    We did.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

We did.
                      Aha - that may be the difference in this year's OL
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Aha - that may be the difference in this year's OL
                        Bingo. Just goes to show it’s not all about assembling talent. You have to know how to use it

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

This is the only thread I could find on Guyton, and I didn't want to keep posting about him on the QJ thread.

One thing that gets overlooked in the Guyton discussion is his value as a special teamer. Guyton is somewhat of a special teams ace, I read several pieces last season where coaching praised Guyton for his special teams work.

This is another reason he's not going to lose his roster spot to a UDFA or will be battling DD for the No. 5 spot on the roster. I'm certain they will carry six WR and it will be 1.KA 2.MW 3.QJ 4.JP 5.JG 6.DD.

But will they activate all 6 WR on game day? My first reaction is to say no, they will only activate 5, and the odd man out would be Guyton. But that would short-change the special teams. So it's hard to say what they will do on game day, given Guyton's importance on special teams.

Comment

Working...
                          X