• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

Fair points. But how many of those stats would be negatively impacted by having the 32nd rated offensive line in football? By having a green rookie thrown in there? By having Ekeler go down for nearly half the year? Steichen did an amazing job with what he was given. Let’s be real, Lombardi isn’t great at adjusting.
    Of course all of those things factor in, but remember - we lost so many winnable games that we fired the coach. Remember, Steichen was the offensive coordinator in the game we lost to the Patriots 45-0, who were a below .500 team with Cam Newton at QB. I only bring this up because there is so much grumbling about how bad Lombardi is and people pining for Steichen because he was so much better. I'm just pointing out that Steichen had his issues and somehow people are under the impression that the offense was better under him. It just wasn't.

Comment

• Duck of Death
      Social Piranha
      • May 2022
      • Flyover, USA
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Of course all of those things factor in, but remember - we lost so many winnable games that we fired the coach. Remember, Steichen was the offensive coordinator in the game we lost to the Patriots 45-0, who were a below .500 team with Cam Newton at QB. I only bring this up because there is so much grumbling about how bad Lombardi is and people pining for Steichen because he was so much better. I'm just pointing out that Steichen had his issues and somehow people are under the impression that the offense was better under him. It just wasn't.
      True, but Steichen was also a rookie. And I submit that Lombardi very likely would’ve floundered under those same conditions in ‘20. But granted, that is my armchair QB opinion. Look I’m not saying Lombardi hasn’t done some good things - he most certainly has. But he was given a Ferrari, and too often he drives it like a 90 year old grandmother who can’t see over the steering wheel, nor reach the clutch. The painful fact is becoming rather evident - he is an average play caller, at best. And average isn’t bad - it’s middle of the pack. But, average probably isn’t going to punch a ticket to the Super Bowl. Now, the flip side to this argument is that there probably isn’t a plethora of elite play callers around. They obviously don’t grow on trees. So, they are stuck for this year. And the only thing I can do is bitch and moan on a board like this.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

True, but Steichen was also a rookie. And I submit that Lombardi very likely would’ve floundered under those same conditions in ‘20. But granted, that is my armchair QB opinion. Look I’m not saying Lombardi hasn’t done some good things - he most certainly has. But he was given a Ferrari, and too often he drives it like a 90 year old grandmother who can’t see over the steering wheel, nor reach the clutch. The painful fact is becoming rather evident - he is an average play caller, at best. And average isn’t bad - it’s middle of the pack. But, average probably isn’t going to punch a ticket to the Super Bowl. Now, the flip side to this argument is that there probably isn’t a plethora of elite play callers around. They obviously don’t grow on trees. So, they are stuck for this year. And the only thing I can do is bitch and moan on a board like this.
        Pretty much sums it up! POTD for me.
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

I would honestly rest the key guys and throw away the 3 next games, get everyone healthy and shoot for a 10-7 record at the end of year, the record doesnt mean amything provided it gets us into the playoffs, once inside and with everyone healthy lets's see what it happens. That's what I would do anyways...

First thing I would replace Guyton with T-Billy for example...

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
            I would honestly rest the key guys and throw away the 3 next games, get everyone healthy and shoot for a 10-7 record at the end of year, the record doesnt mean amything provided it gets us into the playoffs, once inside and with everyone healthy lets's see what it happens. That's what I would do anyways...

First thing I would replace Guyton with T-Billy for example...
            Raiders would ask a high price for T-Billy.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I would rather take a flyer on Fuller, who at his best is quite a bit better than either Guyton or Johnson

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Those 2 receptions for 16 yards he has in the possible 19 games since he left the Chargers certainly warrant that high price.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Those 2 receptions for 16 yards he has in the possible 19 games since he left the Chargers certainly warrant that high price.
                  lol not sure why the obsession with the guy. He got a couple of long bombs one year that was fun but has barely sniffed any playing time since

Comment

• foreigner
                    Tom Telesco is gone
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

lol not sure why the obsession with the guy. He got a couple of long bombs one year that was fun but has barely sniffed any playing time since
                    Because he hasnt played with Herbert... Herbert got the best out of him. And bombs is what this team is needing.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

Because he hasnt played with Herbert... Herbert got the best out of him. And bombs is what this team is needing.
                      They need speed for sure, I just think we should set the bar a little higher

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

They need speed for sure, I just think we should set the bar a little higher
                        The guy is on his 7th team for a reason. He has 22 catches in his entire career, yet people are acting like he is Jerry Rice.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

The guy is on his 7th team for a reason. He has 22 catches in his entire career, yet people are acting like he is Jerry Rice.
                          This fanbase does this with a lot of players or coaches who left the Chargers. But to be fair, I thought Tyron Johnson was a good contributor to the offense in 2020. I am unclear on why he was cut by Staley. Did Staley see something from TJ that he didn't like? Did TJ do something Staley didn't like?

Comment

Working...
                          X